Storage Area for Fishig Rods

'Lil Guy'

When we start traveling toward the end of this year, I was wanting to take my fly rod and a couple of spinning rods along. Anybody have any neat tricks to carry them without worrying of breaking them? I was thinking of rigging something in the pass thru storage area. Just wondering what others are using. Thanks in advance.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I mounted 4" PVC pipe unions to the ceiling of the basement storage area and slip my fishing rods, broom handles, and my (collapsed) flag pole, etc., into them. Drill a large hole on one side and then a small hole for the screw opposite it. Then you can easily run a screwdriver in and make the attachment. For the fishing poles, I have nylon sleeves that I slip the rods into.

buddyboy

We got a rod holder from Amazon and mounted it on the forward wall in the basement. Works great and ready for use whenever we want.

AAdams

We removed the reels and put in a small plastic storage container and bought a piece of thin wall 4" PVC with caps. I cut the PVC a little shorter than the pass though width. I took the extra small piece of PVC and 2 extra caps, cut a piece of swimming noodle to the same size as the extra PVC and wrap my home made leaders around the noodle and store in the extra PVC. To make the caps easier to take off, drill a small hole in one end, put a piece of rope and tie a knot on each side of the cap. Just tug the rope to take off the cap. The trick on storing the leaders to the noodle is hair pins, hook one end, wrap the hair pin the swivel in to the noodle.

JanAndBill

I mounted 4" PVC pipe unions to the ceiling of the basement storage area and slip my fishing rods, broom handles, and my (collapsed) flag pole, etc., into them. Drill a large hole on one side and then a small hole for the screw opposite it. Then you can easily run a screwdriver in and make the attachment. For the fishing poles, I have nylon sleeves that I slip the rods into.

Basically did the same as John, except I used 1-1/2" PVC pipe that I had on hand. Cut 2" long pieces, drilled an access hole on one side for screwdriver, and pilot hole on the other side opposite. One other thing different, the ceiling of my basement doesn't hold screws well, so I mounted mine to the rear plywood bulkhead.

Mrsfish

Since my husband and I both fly fish we have lots of equipment. So #1, we use our washer dryer closet as our fishing closet. Put a clear plastic mat on the floor so any semi wet wading boots can go there. We have large plastic hooks we will hang on the shower door wall to hang waders to dry. along with fishing shirts, pants, coats and rain gear, Rods are kept in their cases in the closet until the time they're going to be used frequently. At that point we have 4 large 'Z' hooks. One end is yellow rubber coated. We hang these on the living room slide (along the decorative face) and then can put our rod and reel set ups in the hooks. They are out of the way yet available. I real advantage if you are parked close to a fishing hole. They travel very well, but we won't do that for very long as they are too expensive and the graphite doesn't like being bounced at the same point. We can carry 4 equipped fly rods this way and reduce the setting up, breaking down. Happy fishing and tight lines!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I mounted several broom holders vertically on the basement wall. Each broom holder holds 4 rods and reels

bassin39

We are planning on full timing in our RV. I own upwards of 25 rod and reel combos. All one piece, except for the fly rods. Fishing rods in the bedroom, girlfriend in basement storage. Priorities ya know. Just don't tell her what I'm planning. Lol...but really, I was wondering what to do with all of them. Keep the tips coming. Longest rod is 7'11".

olcoon

I got a system at Bass Pro, or Cabela's that I mounted to the roof of the basement. I had trouble with them sometimes coming loose with the reels attached, so I took the reels off, and store them inside the coach. Works great now, and they are out of the way.

avvidclif

Note the round rings holding the emergency crank handles? I replaced the small ones with 6" diameter, vinyl coated. They are screwed to the front wall up high.

porthole

Retired
The two rods I carry just lay on the top bunk. But, if you are looking for some type of hanging system I have used the Du-Bro rod holders with no issues.

http://dubrofishing.com/collections/rod-storage

I had these on our 42 sport fishing boat.
Usually had anywhere from 20-30 rods and reels hanging, from lightweight stuff up to Penn 50's and tuna rods.

Nothing beats a good storage system when you come crashing down off of 12-15 footers on a 4 degree deadrise boat.
I never had a rod fall off.

- - - Updated - - -

These work well too, although I did not have them on our boats.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/tigress--premium-rod-hangers--P004851432