Be cautious at REST AREAs

Miltp920

I saw this on another RV forum. IF it is true, everyone needs to be aware so you can protect yourself and your loved ones. Another person commented in the thread that this had happened to them. Be aware...

Warning! !! Stopped at rest area around Columbus Ohio and while my wife and daughter took a walk 5 guys saying they were drivers tried to get me out of the rv saying they had something I had to see. I was sandwiched in between semi's . I locked the door but then made a run for it when they weren't looking to get to my wife and daughter so they didn't walk back to the rv. Sure enough once I alerted the staff they ran to an suv on the end and took off. Last week another rv'er was robbed and stabbed with a screwdriver last week there! Please be alert and careful if someone tries to get you out of your rig. Don't think I can ever rest at a rest area again!

The other post in the thread...
The same thing happened to us at the rest stop/welcome centre has you come into Florida at 3pm...I was in our vehicle....Hubz went to check our TT...two guys approached him and said there was something he should see...Hubz said lead the way. Instead of following them he jumped in our vehicle and we drove off. I looked back and there were 6 men standing behind our trailer. We radio the sherif on our CB radio. Don't know if they caught them. I am thinking they didn't. We never stop at a rest stop anymore. (I-75 South)

lynndiwagoner

I'm very alert at rest stops. I don't park next to trucks unless absolutely no where else to park. I recommend parking as far away from other vehicles as possible. I look like a "bobble head" when I'm out of the rig. I also carry something else that I won't discuss here. I keep thinking about that poor couple from Oklahoma that got abducted in NM. Good advice here, be careful.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Rest areas have always been a dangerous spot. Why do you think many provide security? I will try my best to park away from other vehicles so we are not trapped or sandwiched between two 18 wheelers. I also have my 'personal protection' handy if needed. I would rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6. BTW many crooks see RVers as older people hence easy targets and those with money since RVs and their tow vehicles are not cheap. (we know better that this is not true)

123camper

We live I Florida about 20 yrs ago and they were having a problem with foreign tourist in rental cars being robbed. I can't remember how many were killed. Florida put armed guards at the rest areas for a while. Back in the early 90s I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmgratz

BTW travelers (locals seldom stop at rest areas) are seen to be easy marks and many travelers carry money with them to pay for their trip expenses. Criminals know this. I would never ever sleep at a rest area although I know those that have without issues.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We live I Florida about 20 yrs ago and they were having a problem with foreign tourist in rental cars being robbed. I can't remember how many were killed. Florida put armed guards at the rest areas for a while. Back in the early 90s I think.

When I flew down to Florida to visit my brother a few years back (2006) I made a comment to him about my rental car not having any stickers or fleet license plates.

He told me about the rash of rental car hijackings . . .

Here it is by the Skyway Bridge near St. Pete:

Attachments

• RentalCar-P1010456.jpg
    RentalCar-P1010456.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 95

Lynn1130

I seldom, if ever stop at rest areas when traveling with the RV. Everything we need is in the RV. When traveling without the RV we stop at busy convenience markets. Rest areas have always been a hang out for perverts and the less desirable element.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
We do stop at rest stops, but only in the day time for potty stops for us and the hound. Samuel Colt made a wonderful deterrent for this kind of stuff. Just wish he had a made a "46".

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Maybe a NRA and USCCA sticker on the window might tell them that the "old coot" just might be more willing to face a jury rather than the undertaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avvidclif

That's a good idea, now if I can find my NRA Life Member sticker. I prefer the 9mm.

Truckers don't bother me, it's the other riff-raff.

A friend got asked one time by a state trooper if he was carrying. His answer is perfect. "I'm too old to fight, too fat to run, and am not taking an ***-whipping, any more questions?" The trooper laughed and told him "Good Day, Sir" This was after the trooper was informed he was a retired peace officer which might have made a difference.

Lynn1130

I have a "Glock Perfection" and NRA sticker on the truck window. Carrying a gun is wonderful until you get over powered by, in the case of the original post, 5 guys, and shot with your own weapon.

avvidclif

I have a "Glock Perfection" and NRA sticker on the truck window. Carrying a gun is wonderful until you get over powered by, in the case of the original post, 5 guys, and shot with your own weapon.

They have to get their hands on me first and that ain't happening. Always be aware of your surroundings and have a plan.

Lynn1130

Sorry but in 35 years of law enforcement the number of times I heard that statement and the number of times it got taken away and the victim either got shot or severely beaten with his/her own weapon is frightening. If you think you can outrun or fight off 5 guys, probably in their 20s or 30s good luck but have a good will because it ain't happening. Situational awareness is the most important factor and what I taught many. There is a time to pick a fight and a time to be a good witness or get the Hxxx out of Dodge. The bravado is wonderful until you (not you in particular) let that override your better judgement. Don't put yourself in those situations in the first place and you are less likely to have to TRY to use a gun.

I had to add this just as a point of information. One of the training videos we used to show in officer safety classes was one shot in the yard of a prison, where the inmates were not only lifting weights daily but practicing gun and knife takeaway from other prisoners. Just be aware that this particular element is very aware that they may run up against a gun or knife in their time outside and they are in better shape and better trained than the average 65 year old, overweight, out of shape retiree. No offense to anyone here.

jmgratz

Sorry but in 35 years of law enforcement the number of times I heard that statement and the number of times it got taken away and the victim either got shot or severely beaten with his/her own weapon is frightening. If you think you can outrun or fight off 5 guys, probably in their 20s or 30s good luck but have a good will because it ain't happening. Situational awareness is the most important factor and what I taught many. There is a time to pick a fight and a time to be a good witness or get the Hxxx out of Dodge. The bravado is wonderful until you (not you in particular) let that override your better judgement. Don't put yourself in those situations in the first place and you are less likely to have to TRY to use a gun.

I had to add this just as a point of information. One of the training videos we used to show in officer safety classes was one shot in the yard of a prison, where the inmates were not only lifting weights daily but practicing gun and knife takeaway from other prisoners. Just be aware that this particular element is very aware that they may run up against a gun or knife in their time outside and they are in better shape and better trained than the average 65 year old, overweight, out of shape retiree. No offense to anyone here.

Right on. As I drive in I look around and if I don't like the looks or it doesn't 'feel' right I just keep driving. I can always stop on the side of the road when nature calls if necessary. BTW many truck stops are no better. Not to throw rocks at truckers but I have made many an call at truck stops for suspicious persons, prostitution, drugs etc. I don't sleep there either.

JanAndBill

That's a good idea, now if I can find my NRA Life Member sticker. I prefer the 9mm.

Truckers don't bother me, it's the other riff-raff.

A friend got asked one time by a state trooper if he was carrying. His answer is perfect. "I'm too old to fight, too fat to run, and am not taking an ***-whipping, any more questions?" The trooper laughed and told him "Good Day, Sir" This was after the trooper was informed he was a retired peace officer which might have made a difference.

Several years ago I responded to a burglar alarm at my business at 2 am in the morning. As usual the local police took their time getting there, and in frustration I went on in, armed. Did a quick walk through, determined it was a false alarm and holstered my Ruger, when police finally showed up. First words out of the officers mouth - "Sir is that loaded?" To which I replied - "No I needed something heavy to throw at the bad guys". Here's your sign!

avvidclif

You obviously missed the second sentence. I spent 21 yrs in law enforcement and would consider I have better than average situational awareness and know when to leave. 5 guys can't get their hands on me in my truck or RV, at least not at the same time

Lynn1130

And I recall an owner that did that and when we arrived told us it was a false alarm and he had checked the business. So we sent the dog in to check anyway and he latched on to a burglar hiding in a closet where he had dropped down through the ceiling.

I can't seem to find that second sentence that you mention Clif. You may have better situational awareness but most don't.

avvidclif

And I recall an owner that did that and when we arrived told us it was a false alarm and he had checked the business. So we sent the dog in to check anyway and he latched on to a burglar hiding in a closet where he had dropped down through the ceiling.

I can't seem to find that second sentence that you mention Clif. You may have better situational awareness but most don't.

Second sentence; "Always be aware of your surroundings and have a plan."