Amish craftsmanship??????

JanAndBill

We've had a couple of drawers with sagging drawer bottoms that I finally got around to fixing. I realize that everything that goes into these units, is designed and built with saving weight in mind and as a result, the materials that they use are thinner to save weight, but that doesn't excuse poor workmanship. The drawers were assembled with what could in a stretch be called "plywood" bottoms, with no support, no glue and staples like you would use on paper. There was no attempt to square one drawer as shown in the first picture and whoever assembled the second drawer apparently made no attempt to watch what they were doing. I could see one staple missing but ALL of them?? It didn't take long to fix, a little glue, a few nails, a cross support, and they're better than new. While the cabinets may be assembled by a Heartland supplier, it still doesn't relieve Heartland of the ultimate responsibility for quality control and the design/construction of every component in the finished unit. Guess I'll add another item to my PDI list for the next new one. COMPLETELY REMOVE AND INSPECT ALL DRAWERS FOR CONSTRUCTION DEFECTS.

IMG_20150819_134457876 (406x640).jpgIMG_20150819_134517503 (284x640).jpg

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I know what you mean about "Amish" craftmanship. Our dining room chairs have fallen apart twice. The first time Heartland replaced them and the next time I just fixed it myself. They are not glued or screwed together where the seat and back come together and there is only a long staple in it. After the second one came apart I screwed and glued it back together. There are corner braces in side the chair where the back and seat join and the corner braces have holes for screws in them but no screws. Amish quality...right

JanAndBill

I fear the term "Amish craftsmanship" has become nothing more than a marketing ploy, kind of like they put the word "Outlet" in a store name to draw you in thinking you're actually getting something.

dbbls59

Yes, some Amish are craftsmen and Heartland uses that statement but the cabinets that are put in these RV's is not high quality.

TedS

The advertised Amish quality is being disingenuous to the Amish people and their craft. Just because Amish are hired labor in the assembly factory does not mean Amish quality in the inferred sense of the term. The assembly is still a factory-controlled process, not a craftsman-controlled process.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Fortunately, the two Windsor chairs we bought to replace the OEM dining table chairs are true Michigan Amish made/quality. As is the large dining table and chairs we bought for the house. If these rigs were made with true Amish quality and craftsmanship, most would be clutching their chests when they saw the price.

Kbvols

Fortunately, the two Windsor chairs we bought to replace the OEM dining table chairs are true Michigan Amish made/quality. As is the large dining table and chairs we bought for the house. If these rigs were made with true Amish quality and craftsmanship, most would be clutching their chests when they saw the price.
You're right the Yoder's and Bontraeger's don't work cheap.

JanAndBill

The advertised Amish quality is being disingenuous to the Amish people and their craft. Just because Amish are hired labor in the assembly factory does not mean Amish quality in the inferred sense of the term. The assembly is still a factory-controlled process, not a craftsman-controlled process.

But isn't referring to something as a statement of quality sort of like claiming you're selling organic food, when in reality it's produced in a production environment that doesn't truly meet the legitimate qualifications to be organic? While I admit that there are design and other craftsman elements that may not be duplicated in a production setting, quality should not be completely thrown out. Sadly I've seen some cheap price items with better quality than so called high price name brands.

Westwind

We have a 2012 Bighorn that was constructed in April 2011. Our cabinets and chairs have held together so far. We did have the cabinet door hinges piece that popped out and had to be glued but that was minor. My complaint was a finish which doesn't like water. We have had the finish come off of cabinet doors below the sink and the bathroom cabinet door and this was the first 3 months that we used the trailer to snowbird in Florida, it was so disappointing. I do appreciate the cabinets are made totally of wood and not vinyl wrap like so many of the manufacturers use. I just wish they had used a more durable finish like residential kitchen cabinets.

jmgratz

I guess the bottom line is if you have a German working on the assembly line making a car you can say German engineering and if you have an Amish working in your factory you can say Amish made. What a joke.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
(Shaking my head) It's called marketing folks. Rarely are things what they are advertised to be. Ever chewed gum advertising "long-lasting flavor"? Really?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimsryker

(Shaking my head) It's called marketing folks. Rarely are things what they are advertised to be. Ever chewed gum advertising "long-lasting flavor"? Really?

LOL! That was funny.

My previous RV and my current HL Cyclone have been a bit disheartening when I dig in for repairs. They're really made of just a bunch of low grade plywood and staples. They must be so busy, there's no time to aim the staple gun.

Bohemian

LOL! That was funny.

My previous RV and my current HL Cyclone have been a bit disheartening when I dig in for repairs. They're really made of just a bunch of low grade plywood and staples. They must be so busy, there's no time to aim the staple gun.

Amish craftsmanship in the RV industry is just a bunch of Madison Avenue marketing. Perhaps a few el;ements tip their hat at craftsmanship, but it's all rapid factory work for anything I can afford.

MCTalley

I don't have older Heartland brochures, but a quick glance at a 2015 Bighorn Brochure shows that the only thing they advertise as Amish Crafted are the "natural hardwood cabinet doors". The rest of the cabinetry is just "hand crafted".

Still doesn't excuse poor assembly (we had to re-staple/nail the bottom in our step drawer so far).

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I guess the bottom line is if you have a German working on the assembly line making a car you can say German engineering and if you have an Amish working in your factory you can say Amish made. What a joke.

Is it Amish?

Or Mennonite?

The Amish are the ones that still use the horse and buggies . . . and it is the Mennonites that drive cars and believe in electricity.

I used to live in Bristol, Indiana, by the by.

jmgratz

Is it Amish?

Or Mennonite?

The Amish are the ones that still use the horse and buggies . . . and it is the Mennonites that drive cars and believe in electricity.

I used to live in Bristol, Indiana, by the by.

I know what you mean as I know the difference too. The thing is nowadays some of the Amish are using more modern tools like power saws run by their diesel generators in their barns. Last time in Indiana we talked to an Amish gentleman at the RV Museum. Seems like many changes are occurring in many cultures. I do respect the Amish and their work ethic and it is a shame that so many manufactures are using the word Amish as a ploy to sell their products.

olcoon

When we ordered our 2011 Elk Ridge in Jan. of 2010, we decided we wanted to see it on the line being built. Made the arrangements, and we were notified when it was going to be built, and made a trip to Elkhart. When we were taking the "mini tour" to see our new rig on the line, I DIDN'T see anyone anywhere that looked Amish. I asked the guy giving us the tour about the Amish craftsmanship, and asked where the Amish craftsmen were. Can't remember exactly what he said, but in my opinion his answer boiled down to the fact that the Amish designed the cabinets, but they weren't made by Amish...basically a marketing ploy. Hate to say that, because we haven't had any problems with our cabinets & furniture. Except that the recliner I sit in is getting cracks in the "quality leather" covering.