R-U-Legal California Drivers?

Forrest Fetherolf

Recreational Vehicle License requirements for California Licensed Drivers.

As Per DMV......................

"Drivers who tow a fifth-wheel travel trailer over 15,000 pounds GVWR or a trailer coach over 10,000 pounds GVWR, when the towing is not for compensation. Drivers must have a noncommercial Class A license".

Forrest

Forrest Fetherolf

R-U-Legal Nevada Drivers?

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="80%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width="100%">Nevada license classes, common endorsements and common restrictions are listed below. Nevada does not issue any type of Chauffeur or other special license. However, taxi drivers in Clark County must get a permit from the Nevada Taxicab Authority.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width=578 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle width=107>Class A:</TD><TD width=453>is required to drive combination vehicles, such as tractor-trailers, with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 pounds or more, provided the vehicle being towed has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 10,001 pounds or more. </TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle width=107>Class B:</TD><TD width=453>is required to drive single vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds; the operator may tow a vehicle weighing 10,000 pounds GVWR or less.</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle width=107>Class C:</TD><TD width=453>is for cars, vans, pickups, mopeds, and other vehicles with a GVWR of 26,000 pounds or less; allows towing of a vehicle with a GVWR of 10,000 pounds or less.</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle width=107>Class M:</TD><TD width=453>is for motorcycles. If you drive a motorcycle and a Class A, B, or C vehicle, your license will show both classes, provided you have met all other requirements. Additionally, Nevada has a Class M license with a U Restriction that limits riders to mopeds, trimobiles, and motorcycles that are less than 90 cc and do not exceed 6½ horsepower.

</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle width=107>Endorsement J</TD><TD width=453>Allows Class C license to tow a vehicle over 10,000 pounds GVWR.
Additional written and skills tests are required.

</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle width=107>Endorsement R</TD><TD width=453>Allows Class C license to tow a combination of vehicles not to exceed 70 feet in length. Additional written and skills tests are required. </TD></TR><TR><TD width=107>
Endorsement F

</TD><TD width=453>For firefighters, farmers and military members who drive non-commercial heavy equipment. This endorsement is a limited exemption from commercial licensing requirements.</TD></TR><TR><TD width=107>
Restriction A

</TD><TD width=453>Must wear corrective eye lenses (glasses or contacts).</TD></TR><TR><TD width=107>
Restriction P

</TD><TD width=453>Commercial driver required to obtain a physical exam every two years.</TD></TR><TR><TD width=107>
Restriction X

</TD><TD width=453>Issued in a variety of circumstances such as driving only on a specific route or during specific hours or driving only a certain type of vehicle. The restrictions will be listed on the back of the license or in an official statement the motorist must carry.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=center width="100%" colSpan=2>See Nevada Administrative Code Chapter 483 for a complete list of restrictions.

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center width="100%" colSpan=2><HR color=#000066 noShade></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​

azbound

In Calif. you are required to have a RV endorsement on your license if the towed vehicle weight exceeds 10,000#. When I got my endorsement the local DMV didn't know what I was talking about and I had to show them. It took them another 15 min. or so to locate the test and after completing the test it took them at least 10 min. to find the grade sheet.
Calif. has a tendency to pas new laws to punish not to protect. Meaning know one is ever sighted for not following the new law, but get into an accident and not be in compliance and you have heck to pay.

RubiconAg

So if I head down to the local DMV (Truckee, CA) and ask them to give me the RV Endoresment exam for my DL they technically should know what I'm talking about? Our DMV has a tendancy to be very bullish, I want to know exactly what test i need to take.

Also, what material should I know? Is there a study guide or the like?

TIA

Forrest Fetherolf

So if I head down to the local DMV (Truckee, CA) and ask them to give me the RV Endoresment exam for my DL they technically should know what I'm talking about? Our DMV has a tendancy to be very bullish, I want to know exactly what test i need to take.

Also, what material should I know? Is there a study guide or the like?

Rubicon,

Go online to http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648.pdf this should answer your questions.

In addition you must certify that you will not argue with your wife when backing in a space, complete 35 pushups in 45 minutes, run, walk, crawl or limp 50 feet within one hour, no comsumption of alcohol during hook and unhooking RV...........just kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forrest

azbound

At the Redding DMV they have the booklet on Rv's, it will be with all the others, sorry I don't remember the exact title. Go in the Internet site for State of Ca. ( DMV ) and it will tell you all about the requirements. If your RV weights over 10,000# but less that 15,000# the endorsement is all you need. I read the booklet from front to back in about and hour, read it three days in a row and went down and aced the test. there is now charge for the test. They even issued me a new license picture and all.
It sound more complicated than it really is, check it out on the Internet.
By the way one of the questions actually had two correct answers and they want both on the test. Read the questions carefully and you'll do fine.

DennisZ

For California, they call the 5th Wheel endorsement a -41 Restriction. This allows you to tow a 5th wheel trailer with a GVWR between 10,000 and 15,000 pounds. If your trailer is over 15,000 pounds GVWR, (big toyhaulers, and some of the larger BH and Landmarks), you need at a minimum of a Non-commercial Class A license.

It's all called out in the link in the prevous posts.

Dennis

Uncle Rog

I have known about this for quite a while now, guess I will wander down the street to the DMV and see how the deal works. Might as well be legal................

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Many Texans don't know their fifth wheels and travel trailers have to be state inspected and have the valid inspection sticker affixed to them. Some insurance companies have refused to pay claims because the unit was not inspected. Be legal and then you don't have to worry about it.

BobSue

New for Texas?

I just noticed on my brand new 3055RL last night that it had a Texas state inspection tag on it right next to the mfg tag.

I have owned a travel trailer for years before this 5er and had never had it inspected or heard any thing about it.

Is this new, or weight related?

Probably just another way for Gov. Perry to get tax dollars.:rolleyes:

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
where did you buy your rv? Yep, Texas is one of those places where you need to have it inspected yearly. But, very few do.

BobSue

inspection

I bought the trailer at Camping World in Katy. Have had it 2 weeks now. Had it out for one weekend trip.

We are really loving it.

The inspection sticker was a real surprise when I noticed it last night. Any idea where one would get it inspected. Camping World is a long haul from Dickinson/Alvin where I am.

madigand

It is just a safety inspection (brakes, lights and insurance). Most places that inspect vehicles can do it there.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Almost any inspection station could inspect your trailer...but, I've seen a couple you could get in...but, you could not get out. Permanent parking.

You're better off at some RV place (IMHO) then if something is wrong it can get fixed on the spot.

jmgratz

I just noticed on my brand new 3055RL last night that it had a Texas state inspection tag on it right next to the mfg tag.

I have owned a travel trailer for years before this 5er and had never had it inspected or heard any thing about it.

Is this new, or weight related?

Probably just another way for Gov. Perry to get tax dollars.:rolleyes:

No this is not new. It is just something most people dont do. Apparently you had a dealer that made sure your legal. I have had mine inspected ever since I have owned one. When they inspect it, they check the lights, and brakes and check to see the brake controller will hold the RV while stopped by applying the brake controller only. It is really not much to it. You do not have to show proof of insurance because the vehicle insurance covers it while attached to your vehicle.

Texas registered 18 wheelers have to have a state inspection sticker on their trailer also.

jmgratz

Places such as Mr. Sticker probably don't know much about inspecting RV fifth wheels. I get mine done at a place that does state inspections for trucks (DOT) inspections.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Well guess what? I got a ticket from the CHP in Tulare County on the way to Bass Lake for not having the 10-15,000 endorsement on my license. He stopped me because I didn't have my license plate on, and said this is a fix it ticket. So when we got to Bass Lake, we drove to Mariposa, and I read the booklet and passed the test. The DMV guy said in 21 years he has never seen this ticket and he had to call Sacramento DMV to get instructions. He tried to make me take the non-commercial A class license, so I had to show him the RV booklet so he would only give me the RV endorsement as I am under 15,000 lbs. Now we will have to stop at the Tulare County Courthouse on the way home from our month long trip to NV, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming and on to Mt Rushmore. From there we are going all the way down to Roswell and Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico. Probably will see Jimbo Billetti getting beamed up to a UFO! So I guess I am the first in CA to get this stupid ticket. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy my DW sweetly said.
Can you believe this crap Forrest and DennisZ? Btw Forrest Rocky said hi at Bass Lake and showed me the little truck pulling wood model he had on his wall that you built for him. He says you are quite the Frosty! Fyi,He offered me a campground membership for $1500, which I declined.

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
In British Columbia the weight for a "51 Endorsement" which permits, house trailer any weight without air brakes, is 4600 kilograms which is about 10,200 lbs.

Shadowchek

I Went to The Dmv in Modesto ca to get my indorsment and I had to educate them. I had to show them that it was required in the Dmv Rv book. It then took many discussions amoung the Dmv personell and 30 minutes later they had pulled up the test on line and made a copy of it for me to take. I took the test and proceeded to get it corrected. It seems I was really stupid and was missing every question but the Lady correcting the test finally realized she was using the wrong grade sheet. I ended up missing one and that one had two correct answers according to the book but not the grade sheet. So are our laws to complicated or are our Dmv employeeees Unedgeekated Lol ? Everyone here in Ca. should get the endorsement to cover there Butt for sure though. I Am sure the insurance companies are aware of this requirement and kind of enjoy it not being well known.

Greg

Last edited:
I was not aware of the inspection requirement for my Sundance here in Texas. Will need to get it done soon, heading to the coast next weekend.