cargo hitch carrier

Jeff467

I am trying to find a solution to where to carry my portable generator. I do not have enough room in the bed of my truck to carry it there so I am considering buying a cargo hitch carrier. My Landmark has a class II hitch with a 1 1/4" receiver that is bolted and welded to the frame. I am not sure if this is strong enough to carry my 163LBS generator. I would have to use a adaptor to make the it work with the 2" cargo carrier. Anyone have a suggestion as to what to do?

danemayer

Hi Jeff467,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

The 1-14" receiver is most assuredly not strong enough to support a 163 lb generator and the carrier. Most people find it flexes too much to reliably carry less than 100 lbs of bikes.

For a heavier load, you'll need to remove that receiver and either fabricate or purchase a 2" receiver that can be securely attached/welded to the frame.

Note that Lippert warrants the frame on your rig. If you have a frame problem at some point in the future, perhaps after the frame warranty expires, having added the 2" receiver, Lippert will not assist you.

MIKEGELLO

Hi Jeff467
I've mounted a curt class 3 hitch to my landmark. I modified the end brackets that came with the hitch so that I could bolt it to the outer frame lip. I've carried 4 bikes with no problems. Now I'm in process of reconfiguring the hitch so that I can carry my Honda generator and bike rack. I'll take pictures as I go.
Mike

Bob Vaughn

I had a fabricator come to my home and fabricate a H style frame mount and weld that to the back of my Big Country. It was not cheap. He used 2-1/4 inch steel tube and welded it it to the frame. It is really sturdy and I think it will stay on the back of my 5th wheel. I had a frame mount that was bolted to the frame but going thru Louisiana on I-10 just before Texas the rough road caused the 65 lb generator that I had back there ripped the bolts right out of the frame. So I spent the money.....IMG_3235.jpg IMG_3230.jpg IMG_3228.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3208.jpg
    IMG_3208.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 167

sengli

My issue was, that the hitch will stay on the coach, but it usually gets bounced so bad that any load, on that hitch will eventually cause a structural failure...then your items will fail off. Its strange I have followed other fifth wheels where I didnt seem to notice any bouncing, and then theres mine. It bounces terribly. I wouldnt trust that my expensive generator, anywhere but someplace extremely secure.

MIKEGELLO

So I added another curt hitch in front of the other and linked the two receivers together and out those anti-rattle brackets at every pin point. Had 4 bikes and Honda eu3000is generator on it for 750 mile trip. Nothing moves 'n

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

csmithtrw

Kayak and Bike Carrier on Sundance XLT 261RK

So in attempting to tow my 2-kayaks and 2-bikes on a rear bumper hitch I found it puts just enough stress on the frame that it prevents the door from latching. Even with the bumper being reinforced to the frame. Do you think if I added brackets to the frame I could get away with it?