Won't be using the tires for awhile

bunnie1203

Our new BH will make one trip to Montana next week (I know-better to go traveling with it) we will be staying in it in the next 5 years while we build. Then we will travel in it.
Hubby plans on the following:
Gravel on dirt
Rubber EPDM
on top of gravel
The BH will go on top of this, with jacks or bricks to lift it off the ground-tires will not touch
Then a plywood skirt around the exterior (still will be able to put slides in and out)
He is then thinking of wrapping plastic around the plywood (they did this to the units the police used during the winter olympics in Utah) to keep cold air out
Your thoughts? Should he let some air out of the tires after it is up on blocks?
It is cold-very cold during the winter months up in the mountains of Montana-we will only be there a few weekends during the winter months.:confused:

grizzlygiant

I don't understand why you are using EPDM. It will only trap the water and will soon be punctured by foor traffic.

If I were doing it (and I have lived in my RV for years while building shopping centers) I would construct a road-base pad with a slight crown and put 3/4- gravel on top of that for a walking surface or better yet, pave it with 2" ac.

Be careful on how you block the RV. It is easy to tweek the frame.

beardedone

Beardedone
I have a little experience with this type of thing and I would investigate not using plastic because it could trap moisture in there and start rotting wood and rusting metal. Look at using a breathable membrane such as Tyvek and taping the joints. One issue with putting any product like over the plywood is that the wind will rip it eventually. If you can find someway to prevent that it will help. Some people I know use insulated tarps for skirts and it seems to work well. Also remember that little critters may like the new condo as well. Leave an access point to check on occupancy.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Brrrr! Leave the air in the tires. Consider having an access door in the skirting or make it easy to remove panels so in case you have a problem with a tank valve and need to get in there to check anything. You may want to have a plan B for those extreme cold nights to supplement the heating of the underbelly. Will you have sewer hook up available? During the winter keep the liquid in the holding tank until they're full and dump at that time. This will help keep the sewer hose/pipe from freezing. Heat tape on everything? Have fun, stay warm and good luck with your build. Keep us posted with progress pictures. That would be great to see.

bunnie1203

Thank you! I am concerned about all these as well. I want hubby to read all your input. This is our first stationary Rv (we have a pop up camper we use for running around camping)
We will not have sewar hook up, until we start the cabin building process. We are 98% sure we will use the composting toilet for the rv and maybe even for the cabin-if it works well.
I will keep you posted.
I look forward to all comments

Diane

HappyKayakers

Everything I've read about tires says you should not use tires over 5 yrs old since they degrade whether they're rolling or not. If you're really not going to move, why not sell the tires?

bunnie1203

Because -it is a heavily forested area, prone to wild fire. Should the area become at risk, we can drive it to a safe place

beardedone

Beardedone
lLots of good posts so far. Remember that you should get a custom made tarp (insulated if possible to put around the goose neck and draped to the ground, or your bed may be a little cool. Also DO NOT use straw bales around the trailer as it attracts lots of mice.

waccajs

Texian
Wow, I'm impressed with all these great tips and I'm in SE Texas. There is a great wealth of info on this site. I learn more here than I could of imagined when we became members back in 06. We all wish you well. It sounds like you are up on most of us as far as what you need to do. Good luck!

StevieWonder

Beautiful country ... my mother was born in Helena and lived as a toddler with my grandfather, a Montana highway bridge engineer, and my grandmother on location at a bridge being built during the Depression. My grandfather said they had a small boiler they used to pump steam under canvas coverings to keep the concrete from freezing after it was poured. He related a story of one night how it was -40F (NOT the wind chill) and the boiler froze ... with a fire under it! Now THAT is COOOOOOLD!!! :eek:

I would definitely look at several items. One would be some aux heat sources under the skirting (be VERY careful about ANY possible fire threat). Another would be the temporary insulation of your slide outs. They have essentially NO insulation on the roof/sides. Assuming you're going to leave them out permanently, I'd put some insulation on them. You might consider some foam insulation panels (available at Lowe's or Home Depot). You should be able to attach them where they can can be removed/replaced without trashing the sides. This might be worth considering for the belly too. You could tape them to the frame with Gorilla Tape (also available at Lowe's and Home Depot).

snuffy

I burn an infared heat lamp at night in my pumphouse when it's really cold. Never had a frozen pipe with it on.

bunnie1203

Stevie, great story. My in-laws probably know your relatives. They are all from Great Falls area.
Hubby drew me a picture of what exactly he plans on doing
The gravel under the EPDM is going to help with circulation, he will then have a 2x4 on the ground that is the exact print of the BH frame. Then the plywood will go around the frame foot print, and will be insulated with hard foam board. with air vents and access door.
The slides will be closed during winter and the unit winterized.

DaleR

Because -it is a heavily forested area, prone to wild fire. Should the area become at risk, we can drive it to a safe place

Being prone to fire, I myself would maintain the proper tire pressure at all times. It would save a lot of time, if you should have to move out in a hurry.

Uncle Rog

bunnie, I am proud to say I know ya' ,if you plan to spend winter months in the MT high country in a BH use anything and every thing at your disposal to keep that rig warm and DRY! I think that a Quonset Hut type structure would be my first choice!

bunnie1203

Well, we will only be up to visit in the winter a few times, so my status may have dropped a bit. We are living in Utah in a real house with real heat. ;-)