ATF: Bighorn - winterize with anderson 4 position valve

Francis1

Getting ready to winterize my 2017 heartland bighorn with the Anderson 4 position valve. On all other campers I have owned, part of the winterization was to remove the screen from the gravity fill water opening and release the pressure from the check valve and make sure the antifreeze displaced all water. What do you have to do to complete the winterization process with the anderson 4 position valve?

Gaffer

I haven't done this yet as we go south for the winter but this is my understanding.
Turn the Anderson valve to winterize. Drain the hot water tank. Drain the fresh water tank. Connect a hose to the city water inlet. Turn the WH bypass to bypass. Add the pink stuff to a 5 gallon bucket. Put the hose in the bucket. Turn on the pump. Turn on each faucet one at a time until the pink stuff comes out. Don't forget the laundry valves or the outside shower and toilet. This should get everything but the black tank rinse. You will need compressed air for that. I also blow out my lines before pumping in the pink stuff.

danemayer

When using the 4-way valve in Winterize position, the antifreeze will be sucked in the main water inlet, through the short connecting hose, and through the 4-way valve's cartridge on its way to the water pump.

The areas that antifreeze don't go through are 1) the black tank flush since it's separate, 2) the water line from 4-way valve to fresh tank, and 3) a short area of water line from the 4 way valve going to the water fixtures, before reaching the tee coming from the water pump output. I don't think we've seen any posts about freeze problems in these areas, although I've wondered if black tank flush anti-siphon valve problems stem from freezing.

To be certain water is evacuated from these 3 areas, you could start the process using compressed air, rotating the Anderson Valve through the CITY and TANK positions, and then set it to WINTERIZE to suck in antifreeze. And of course compressed air will clear the black tank flush line.

You'll also want to pay attention to the water feed line for your refrigerator, along with chill coil and filter if you have a residential refrigerator. Check out the Residential Refrigerator Guide for help with that.

And don't overlook the washer prep, even if you don't have a washing machine. More detail is available in the Winterization Guide.