Motorcycle Hauling options?

Codive

Okay, being up front I'm still looking around and planning the family purchase. Momma was impressed with the Cyclones, originally the 4200 but we've graduated to the 4250 or even the RW427. However the price is keeping things on the horizon. The purpose for the trailer is to be able to go ride the world together on the Harley, but have home with us everywhere we go.

Someone recently suggested going smaller, say a 30' bumper pull and put the Harley in the truck bed. Looking around it would be 1/2 the price even with the power motorcycle lift. We have found a couple floor plans that work, though being smaller aren't as open as the 5th wheels.

So my questions for you Vets: have you done both, what are the benefits for each, any other advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OEFVET

Based on what you plan to do with it, I would definitely recommend a toy hauler as opposed to keeping bike in the truck. Having a garage to work on bike when necessary is a big plus.

porthole

Retired
You would need an 8' bed to keep the bike "in the truck" with most lifts.

You going to travel all over like that? Why not park it in a garage. You can get bumper pull toy haulers.

Sniper

If your going to haul your bike(s) and not ride them with a bed roll on the handle bars, get the Cyclone or Road Warrior if you prefer and never look back. We had to stop riding our bikes (or at least I did) on extended travels due to my health. We tried all different options and having a toy hauler 5th wheel is simple the way to go if you can't travel on the scoot. It's the best of both worlds. (admittedly it's not the cheapest option) :cool:

Good luck :)

Gaffer

Unless you are doing fairly short stays in the trailer, you will need the storage found only in the fivers.

Dennyha

I have a Harley Ultra Limited, and I don't think it would fit in an 8' bed with the tailgate up. If you ride with the tailgate down, towing a camper, you have a whole new set of issues to deal with. I load the Harley into my Cyclone's garage. I used to use a front wheel chock, and strap it down to the floor rings. I've since bought a B&W Biker Bar (google it). It wasn't cheap, but it works great. It is very easy for me to load my bike without help, and to get it out without help. It is super secure, and the installation of the mounts was very easy. No more straps, and constantly adjusting them over the course of a trip.

Codive

I'm an Iron Butt rider. One trip I put 11,000+ miles on my bike in 14 days. Challenges include momma won't ride more than 2 hours, doesn't like staying in hotels (not her bed), and we're past the tent camping phase of life. So 5ers are probably the way to go. Just need to save up. Thanks!

Sniper

I'm an Iron Butt rider. One trip I put 11,000+ miles on my bike in 14 days. Challenges include momma won't ride more than 2 hours, doesn't like staying in hotels (not her bed), and we're past the tent camping phase of life. So 5ers are probably the way to go. Just need to save up. Thanks!

After my muscular dystrophy diagnosis we went from bed rolls on the handle bars to a motorcycle trailer and tents, then to hotels (which we hate). Then the Commander said: Lets get a toy hauler! So we bought a SOB tag along which was great for a long weekend but we had to take the bikes out of to even use the beds. We moved up to our current set up and it is fantastic! Now we can travel with our scoots and I can stop and rest in a comfy bed then continue on our way. You won't regret it. Keep us posted of your progress. :)

coachlee

I went with a Heartland Torque 321 toy hauler. Shortest one with enclosed back 12 foot garage. Still almost 40 feet. Torque 325 even has a toilet in garage but longer.
Remember that few rv sites can accommodate toy haulers. 40+ feet, 8 foot back door, and then at least 9 feet for motorcycle once off ramp. That's 56 feet plus of room. Meaning you will most likely have to store motorcycle outside for greatest convenience.
5th wheel toy hauler is best way to go.
Tom

dgano1147

We have the 357 ed Heartland Edge to Thacker, but we don't haul toys. We have actually enclosed the garage for more living area.20161115_153933.jpg wall can easily be removed if we ever want to sell it. Used household storm doors and windows.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

big_kandi

We have done multiple options. First was motorcycle (softail) in pickup and standard travel trailer for sleeping. Then went to travel trailer toy hauler with no garage wall which allowed three bikes in trailer And in a pinch a bike in the pickup (cvo ultra, softail and two sportsters) could seep 6 to 8 people when bikes were out but not a camper to sit around and live in.Just going to a torque 325 with softail and a trike (due to health). We are concerned that Its going to be tight on the bikes in 10 ft garage but looking for more living space to spend time as a snow bird in south.Also concened about towing the rig with a 2007 dodge ram 2500 with cummings, auto tran, short box (slider 5th wheel) and airbags.Any thoughts on towing and fit in garage?Per specs trailer will be over truck limit of 13,000 estimate trailer at 15,000

taamatrix

I went with a Heartland Torque 321 toy hauler. Shortest one with enclosed back 12 foot garage. Still almost 40 feet. Torque 325 even has a toilet in garage but longer.
Remember that few rv sites can accommodate toy haulers. 40+ feet, 8 foot back door, and then at least 9 feet for motorcycle once off ramp. That's 56 feet plus of room. Meaning you will most likely have to store motorcycle outside for greatest convenience.
5th wheel toy hauler is best way to go.
Tom

from your experience can you explain more why a 5th wheel toy hauler is better