Installing solar system

Hello All.I have a 2015 Gateway 3650BH. I was looking into installing a solar system to run the big residential refrigerator for dry camping.Any recommendations.Thanks.

Oregon_Camper

There are a LOT of ways to add solar....but you'll need to answer some basic questions first.

1 - Is this "dry camping" a 1x per year thing....or will you start to "dry camp" a lot?

2 - How long will dry camp?

3 - What is your budget? You can spend from $200 to $10,000 on solar...depending on what you want (solar panels, controller, inverter, installation, 4+ batteries, etc...)

4 - Do you want a permanent solution or portable?

5 - You only want to power the refrigerator or will you then want to power a few outlets...then the TV...then all outlets??

My solar install is done and I am now completing the project as shown below. All in, I guess I've spent ~$6,000 on my setup, but I can now be 100% self sufficient for power needs...no longer need shore power.

3160EL Power Layout.jpg

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:

Oregon_Camper

Thanks Oregon Camper. you've given me some things to consider.

Don't get overwhelmed with my setup...I've been at this a while. :)

My sister has a portable unit that she brings out of the trailer...connect to her battery (1) and points the panels at the sun. Works for her...cost was ~500...no installation required.

GoPower makes a great portable solution.
81n27xzjZ8L._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

WyoCyclone

I'm hoping to leach off this thread as I have some questions and it seems that you (Oregon-Camper) have some experience. I'm in the exact same boat as BarbandDoug, we camp about 70% boondocking and 30% plugged in. I'm purchasing a 2017 RW 425 that has the Generator and solar prepped. It has the residential fridge and that really is the only thing that has me concerned. I would run the generator for AC/Microwave and top off the batteries in my past unit and would boondock for a week and not really worry about anything, not so with the new set up.

1st priority is budget - After dumping money on the camper I would prefer to back into the solar thing slowly - if you get my drift. I'd like to keep it below $500.

2nd priority is keep the batteries up to make sure the fridge is running and we can run lights and the occasional heater.

3rd priority is watching the occasional movie in the evening without having to run the generator.

The new RW will come with two batteries and the inverter, however, I'm not sure if the inverter runs all the outlets or just the reefer??

My question is what does it mean to have it "prepped"? What all do I need to be set up for my needs? I'm a TOTAL rookie when it comes to solar.

Thanks for the help...

Oregon_Camper

I'm hoping to leach off this thread as I have some questions and it seems that you (Oregon-Camper) have some experience.

1st priority is budget - After dumping money on the camper I would prefer to back into the solar thing slowly - if you get my drift. I'd like to keep it below $500.

No problem...Hope I can help some.

With $500, I think you can get a great portable unit from Zamp or GoPower. I'm leaning more to GoPower these days, simply because of the AWESOME service I get from them when I call with questions.

Here is a link to the one that would meet your needs. Just a bit over $500, but it comes 100% ready to go.

Go Power Solar

...now if you decide money is no longer an issue, you can always drop $3,700 on this GoPower Kit. LOL :)

Complete Solar Setup

2nd priority is keep the batteries up to make sure the fridge is running and we can run lights and the occasional heater.

You might want to ask the exact make/model of the batteries you're getting. Typically, standard RV batteries are not great quality. If you can upgrade them now then it might only be $100 or so to get batteries that really work well.

3rd priority is watching the occasional movie in the evening without having to run the generator.

This isn't possible without doing some upgrades to your standard config. Your inverter for the refrigerator will only power the refrigerator...nothing else. If you want to install another inverter, I suggest you start a new thread and everyone will see it (vs just this thread) and you'll get a LOT of help.

The new RW will come with two batteries and the inverter, however, I'm not sure if the inverter runs all the outlets or just the reefer??

Per my last comment, your stock inverter will only power the refrigerator plug...nothing else. It isn't that hard to wire in an additional inverter, if you want AC power to TV (and possibly to your recliners, as they need AC power to open/close...we ran into this problem too)

My question is what does it mean to have it "prepped"? What all do I need to be set up for my needs? I'm a TOTAL rookie when it comes to solar.

From my understanding, the "solar prep" means there are connections on the roof, with wires already running down the inside of the RV to a junction box in the battery compartment area. This is a HUGE help in getting solar installed on the roof. However, in your case, I'd stick with the portable solution I linked you to above. Much easier and cost effective for you now. Then a year or two down the road you can always install solar on the roof and continue to use the portable solution as added amps!! I have solar on my roof and I'm just about ready to buy the GoPower solution for times when the trailer is parked in areas with shade...the portable solution will allow me to move it to sunny areas. :)

WyoCyclone

Thanks so much, that was VERY helpful!!! I looked into the GoPower and that looked very reasonable. I do have a 2300 watt inverter in my old trailer and I think I'll just add it to the new one then I'll be able to power those other items.

Thanks again.