Battery Maintenance

crussian

When doing maintenance of the batteries, I know I should disconnect from shore power, but is there anything else I need to do? I want to pop off the caps and check water levels and terminal corrosion.

Thanks I advance.

C&J

jnbhobe

No need to disconnect from shore power when working on 12V, just turn your battery disconnect off

crussian

No need to disconnect from shore power when working on 12V, just turn your battery disconnect off

Understood. I'm thinking I just put this switch in the red position vice the green.

C&J

Attachments

• battery disconnect.jpg
    battery disconnect.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 57

jnbhobe

Yes just turn it off. Now days we have to have pictures instead of plain old on - off. They are more misleading than spelling it out.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I thought you need to turn off the converter breaker also. Won't the converter be supplying power to charge the battery?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crussian

Does the converter have a cutoff or OFF / ON button or switch? I haven't been back inside the front compartment to see.

C&J

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
No but there should be a breaker for it in your breaker box inside the rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Does the converter have a cutoff or OFF / ON button or switch? I haven't been back inside the front compartment to see.

C&J

No, it does not have a switch, but there should be a 120V breaker for it. With a battery shut-off switch, I'm not sure you need to shut off the converter to check the battery.

Attachments

• Breaker Panel with labels (Large).jpg
    Breaker Panel with labels (Large).jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 36

danemayer

If just working on the battery, operating the cutoff should isolate the battery. The power converter will still get power to the buss bar, and up to the cutoff switch, but not to the battery.

Disconnect the trailer from the truck as the truck battery charge line will sometimes be wired in between the battery and the battery cutoff switch.

rxbristol

If just working on the battery, operating the cutoff should isolate the battery. The power converter will still get power to the buss bar, and up to the cutoff switch, but not to the battery.

Disconnect the trailer from the truck as the truck battery charge line will sometimes be wired in between the battery and the battery cutoff switch.

As always, Dan's the Man.