Cheaping out on shower heads (in '17 Starcraft)??

eddylives

Whats with the new trailers and putting in cheap hand held shower heads without a shut off?
They are fully aware that they have limited hot water due to the size of the tank.....even with propane and electric running together.
When you drop 20-60 G on a new unit you don't expect to be replacing brand new equipment with new proper equipment.

Rant over lol

Don't get me going on the screen door and lack of a place to pull it shut when inside hahahaha!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Cheaping out on shower heads??

I don't know what brand or style your shower head is but all of the ones that I have seen in the past have a twist shut off on the end of the hose that attaches to the shower head.
Having said that, I don't care for that type of shut off so I removed it and added a simple ¼ turn shut off near the faucet.

Peace
Dave

Oregon_Camper

The screen door was a PITA...then we got this neat handle. We love this...easy to open and close screen door now.

Amazon Link

21YHmuv-rFL.jpg

Last edited:

eddylives

The screen door was a PITA...then we got this neat handle. We love this...easy to open and close screen door now.

Amazon Link

View attachment 51785
That is the exact unit I installed last weekend
Simple to install and works great

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know what brand or style your shower head is but all of the ones that I have seen in the past have a twist shut off on the end of the hose that attaches to the shower head.
Having said that, I don't care for that type of shut off so I removed it and added a simple ¼ turn shut off near the faucet.

Peace
Dave

Our brand new unit came with a generic looking hand held shower head with no shut off other than the taps. (2017 starcraft 346RESA)
The previous trailrunner had a shut off on the shower head that worked ok
I went to the dealer and purchased a camco replacement with a shut off.....it works but is pretty stiff to operate and I hope it will loosen up a little with use.

rxbristol

Everyone seems to buy RV shower heads. I bought a Waterpik and added a water saver turn-off switch and like it much better than any RV shower wand we've had. It's the same with kitchen or bathroom faucets. My kitchen replacement faucet is 100 percent better quality and strangely even lighter in weight...the bathroom replacements are heavier.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders

I put an Oxygenics shower head on ours. It came with a twist water cut off if you want to shut off water flow. I don't use it but my wife does.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

Whats with the new trailers and putting in cheap hand held shower heads without a shut off?
They are fully aware that they have limited hot water due to the size of the tank.....even with propane and electric running together.
When you drop 20-60 G on a new unit you don't expect to be replacing brand new equipment with new proper equipment.

Rant over lol

Don't get me going on the screen door and lack of a place to pull it shut when inside hahahaha!

Just to be clear, you are saying your new STARCRAFT is cheapening out on the shower head, not a Heartland?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eddylives

Just to be clear, you are saying your new STARCRAFT is cheapening out on the shower head, not a Heartland?

Yes the new 2017 starcraft autumn ridge 346RESA
But i like the info on this site so much I'm going to stay lol.....I have yet to find a site that is even 1/3 as good as this one.
Don't get me wrong
We really liked our 2012 trail runner but we decided to upgrade in size with slides and the dealer we have a good relationship with no longer carries heartland units.
This new rig fit our needs almost perfectly and they bent over backwards to make the trade happen.

For the record the previous heartland unit had the shut off shower head

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

But i like the info on this site so much I'm going to stay lol.....I have yet to find a site that is even 1/3 as good as this one.
Don't get me wrong
We really liked our 2012 trail runner but we decided to upgrade in size with slides and the dealer we have a good relationship with no longer carries heartland units.
This new rig fit our needs almost perfectly and they bent over backwards to make the trade happen.

Thanks for clarifying, sad to see you leave the Heartland family, but glad you found what suits your needs.

It brings to light that other brands have issues too, we are not alone in the occasional frustrations with what ends up in our rigs.

This is the best forum, and any discussion that can help fellow RVers is a good one.

jbeletti

Don't get me wrong

Thank you for the kind words about this forum. While we can't speak to any Starcraft-specific issues, most systems and materials are very similar and I'm sure you'll continue to find this forum useful. You're more than welcome to hang out here :)

eddylives

Thank you for the kind words about this forum. While we can't speak to any Starcraft-specific issues, most systems and materials are very similar and I'm sure you'll continue to find this forum useful. You're more than welcome to hang out here :)

Back when i joined this site I suffered a work injury that left me with nothing but time to kill for many months as I recovered.
I killed a massive amount of hours learning all I could about the heartland equipment since we were new owners of one at the time.
As far as trailer manufacturers go they are for the most part very similar so the information transfers easily.
Now days at our permanent site I am the go to guy when someone has an issue lol and it is usually something simple yet baffling when you are not familiar with travel trailer methods of construction.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
If they are going to be installing lower end fixtures, I wish one could order with them deleted. Or have options for higher end fixtures.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

crussian

I've heard a lot of good things about the Oxygenics shower head. From water saving to better water sprayer due to design. I did a search on YouTube (as I do for most product reviews) and found this one: ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Bs5qGdC0EA&t=323s

The interesting part begins around 3:30 minute mark. This is where he fills a container for two minutes with the stock shower head and then installs the Oxygenics shower head. Apparently, regarding saving water, not much difference. However the shower pressure provide a much nicer flow, ergo, getting all the soap out of your hair. My better half loves that part.

So, I guess the bottom line is if your two concerns are pressure delivery and water savings, you are half way there with the Oxygenics shower head.

My $.02 cents.

C&J

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I installed the Oxygenics Fury in our Prowler over the winter months and finally got to try it out a couple of weeks ago on our first campout of the 2017 season.

ProwlerOxyShwrHead-P3160573.jpg

Ours is the RV model from Camping World, not the home unit from Lowe's or Home Depot.

It is my understanding that the home unit doesn't have the quick shutoff valve, and the RV version has different innards to create a stronger water flow with less water pressure, supposedly to conserve water (a good thing when running off of the fresh water tank), plus it comes with the RV wall mount plate.

Anyway, the shower was awesome . . . plenty of flow to get those massage jets massaging, using both city water and the water pump pulling from the fresh water tank separately.

Made the original shower head seem like a yard soaker hose . . .

What I noticed is that with the Oxygenics head I barely had to crack the faucets to get more than enough blast from it and the hot water lasted about 10 minutes, where with the original shower head I had to open the faucets all the way just to get barely enough spray to know that I was actually taking a shower, and would blow through the hot water (6 gallons) in about 4 minutes.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
We typically only use one head unless we have great pressure, but ours has great pressure.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

BigGuy82

Rant over lol

I've got a 2017 Bighorn. The shower head works just fine and it has a shut off button. Press it one way, water stops. Press it the other, water flows. From the factory.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk