Charging Batteries??

Georgia_Biker

I hope this is the right area for this topic-

This past couple of weeks were our first National Rally & Pre Rally – we really enjoyed it!
As we were getting ready to leave Sunday morning I noticed my slides and level ups were sluggish like a low battery. I figured the trailer connection would charge them up going down the road.

When I stopped for fuel about two hours later I checked and they were dead. I know they were a little over 2 years old but, had no way of checking them and it is Sunday afternoon.

Our destination for that night was Bowling Green so Ipulled into a Sams Clubd and installed two new batteries. That got us throughthe night and home to Georgia the next day.

From my Lippert classes I think I remember the slides andlevel ups run off the battery. If that is the case how do you know if thebatteries are being charged from shore power?

Will the hydraulics not work on just shore power?

Does the trailer cable charge the batteries at all?

What should I be checking?

Thanks

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Yes your Convertor will supply 12v to the RV and charge your batteries when on shore power.
However if the little black button reset button on the side of circuit breaker is tripped it will not change your batteries.

Jerrod
277d72c73c1a86572ab403f25dc08f53.jpg
6f338d7a34217b728e7afdfb47f5d7dc.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

'Lil Guy'

Doesn't the battery charge off the truck alternator while in tow? Also, if it will, does the reset button control this also? thanks in advance

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

The truck will send a charge to the RV batteries but only a few amps so it would take a while to charge low or dead batteries. Then if you have something drawing from them while traveling, like the residential fridge it won't catch up.

danemayer

From my Lippert classes I think I remember the slides andlevel ups run off the battery. If that is the case how do you know if thebatteries are being charged from shore power?

Will the hydraulics not work on just shore power?

Does the trailer cable charge the batteries at all?

What should I be checking?
Larry,

You don't know if batteries are being charged from shore power. But if you have level-up there is a way to check. Turn it on and cycle it to read system voltage. If the panel reads 13.2-13.6V, the output of the Power Converter is getting through to the batteries (if your battery cutoff switch is ON). If less than 13.2V, the batteries are draining and not getting charged. Jesstalkn covered the manual reset breaker that is at the heart of the problem.

Hydraulics may work on just shore power, but it's iffy. The hydraulic pump can pull more amps than the converter can supply. And if your batteries are low already because they're getting old and tired, or are low on water, I suspect trying to pull all the power across the manual reset breaker may be a reason why it trips.

Abear79

Also check the 40 amp fuses on the Converter. If you hear the fan on, you are probably ok. Happened to me once. I have to pull out my breaker panel to get to it.

Georgia_Biker

Jerrod-

I am familiar with that little sucker and here lately it trips a lot - I think I am going to replace it with a new new one and see if that helps

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Ya if it's tripped more then once or twice I'd definitely just swap it out with a new one.
Hopefully it's just a week breaker and nothing else.

Lou_and_Bette

Jerrod-

I am familiar with that little sucker and here lately it trips a lot - I think I am going to replace it with a new new one and see if that helps

Another thing that can cause them to trip is connecting/disconnecting from shore power without turning the pedestal breaker off before doing so

Toccoatravelers

Check also to see if your converter is plugged in, ours came unplugged and quit charging our batteries off of shore power,had to get 2 new batteries, reset the little breaker and plugged in the converter, works fine now.