I'm going nuts!!!

imchud

Some one please help......,
Please don't take this post the wrong way :rolleyes:, We are Brand New owners of a very expensive 09 3385 B/H, that we have pulled a total of 5 miles home from the dealer... We put it in the driveway to clean it up and get ready for the our 1st trip this next week... For the last week and a half I have been reading all the forms on in the Heartland owners section of their web site... I'm making myself sick!!! ALL I read about is one problem after another after another :confused:, does ANYBODY out there have any luck with the Heartland product...? We have been camping for over 25 plus years, I have owned a total of 6 campers in the last 25 years -- 2) Pop-ups -- 2) travel trailers & -- 2) 5th Wheels, none of which were as costly as my last one (3385 B/H)... Don't get me wrong I love it, it's beautiful :D, But the help I'm looking for is someone out there to tell me i didn't make a mistake buying a Heartland Bighorn... I have had minor issues with the others I've owned but some of the things I'm reading about are not minor issues, the list is just to long to list... Please tell me I purchased a solid Coach and I'm in good hands with Heartland :eek:....

Tom

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Tom. Welcome to the Heartland Family. Two years ago I was feeling somewhat the same way. We've had a variety of RV's since the mid 70's and they have all had issues of one type or another. Our Heartland has had a few problems but nothing that wasn't easily and quickly resolved by our dealer and the factory while we attended the National Rally in Goshen last year. I think the first thing to consider is that this forum is where you can post a problem and find either a resolution for a do it yourself type or guidance from other owners that have had similar problems. That being said, you are likely to see problems more so than idle banter. Heartland has a great product. Not perfect but neither are any of the other brands. Heartland also has the best customer service that I know of. Spend as much time as you can reading through the many posts. There are threads regarding owner satisfaction as well. Get out there and go camping, put your Bighorn to the test.

cjbearden

Visitor
I know you will get lots of positive replies - you did not make a mistake and you bought as solid a coach if not better than a lot on the market. The best part of all - you have a manufacturer and personnel willing to stand behind you, beside you, whatever it takes to make you happy.

Sure there are always minor issues and sometimes major ones. Just remember that not one manufacturer can make THE perfect coach that will ever satisfy everyone. We have a lot of HL members who are very handy and able to take care of the problems that might arise with their coaches and they make modifications to make their coach more like home. The rest of us just do our best to find the best service shop around - a HL certified dealership.

Get to know your coach, be aware of the issues, get problems taken care of during the first year. I have said it before on the forum and I will reiterate it for you - HL has to depend on suppliers for various appliances and parts and those suppliers don't always provide a quality product. Rest assured - HL still does whatever possible to see that suppliers provide replacement parts/products as needed.

Get out there and enjoy that coach! Attend the rallies and meet your extended family. Welcome to the fold. God Bless and many happy, safe traveling miles.

bigredtruck

I totally understand how you feel.. this is our first brand new rv and although compared to other forums for SOB's have way worse problems, I was making myself sick reading about issues (and my Cyclone is 2 hours away from me right now ) But, I also know, that if something goes wrong, 67 people will hear about it and if anything goes right, 1 person will hear. DH has been travelling home from Michigan for 3 days now, and so far loves everything. lost the antenna to some low hanging branches, but other than that everything works and I am so anxious for tomorrow morning when he pulls in to the campground where we are waiting for him. I am sure we will have our issues, but I agree that if you RV, you have to be alittle bit handy and nothing is insurmountable.

davebennington

imchud,

You are not going nuts, back in 2006 we had the same feelings that you are having now. Yes the Heartland coach was/is expensive ours cost 3 times the price that I paid for my first house!!!!. You have the backing of some of the finest people on this planet. We have found that if you have a question ask on the forum, then on to the dealer if no satisfaction there move on to Heartland they will help you until you are happy. In my opinion they go way over the extra mile to help a customer that needs assistance.

Dave

fjspinelli

Common Sense Jake
Not to worry. Forums like this don't always focus on the good things...because we already know them. Instead we focus on the issues that might be of critical interest to the rest of us when things go bad.

Enjoy your new camper and hit the road....

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
You're OK.

Every brand has their problems. Just not a way to discuss them like this.

Heck my own Fleetwood is back in the shop right now for warranty work on the nose cap near the roof which wasn't reinstalled correctly at the factory when they replaced BOTH sidewalls a few weeks ago because of lamination problems. Getting work done on the hot water heater, ceiling fan, countertop, entry steps and a few other minor things too.

Few brands have a way to publicly discuss them and Heartland is one that actually stepped to the plate and embraced a public forum and took it a step further to interact with their customers and not just their dealers.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
imchud,
Sorry to hear of your worries. While I see that you have only found negative comments here on the forum I am sure that you will find just as many, and probably a lot more, positive comments. As you can see from my signature I consider this company to be one of the top RV manufacturers around that have the customer in mind. We had the 2006 BH and loved it but when they came out with the cherry interior of the Landmark, well I couldn't stay away and upgraded.

I hope you spend some more time here in the forum and see what a great bunch of people we have here. We are also fortunate to have involvement from the factory management, something you won't see on other sites.

Hopefully next year we will be able to put together an Ohio Rally for all us Heartland owners.

Keep us up to date with your experiences,
Mark

Some one please help......,
Please don't take this post the wrong way :rolleyes:, We are Brand New owners of a very expensive 09 3385 B/H, that we have pulled a total of 5 miles home from the dealer... We put it in the driveway to clean it up and get ready for the our 1st trip this next week... For the last week and a half I have been reading all the forms on in the Heartland owners section of their web site... I'm making myself sick!!! ALL I read about is one problem after another after another :confused:, does ANYBODY out there have any luck with the Heartland product...? We have been camping for over 25 plus years, I have owned a total of 6 campers in the last 25 years -- 2) Pop-ups -- 2) travel trailers & -- 2) 5th Wheels, none of which were as costly as my last one (3385 B/H)... Don't get me wrong I love it, it's beautiful :D, But the help I'm looking for is someone out there to tell me i didn't make a mistake buying a Heartland Bighorn... I have had minor issues with the others I've owned but some of the things I'm reading about are not minor issues, the list is just to long to list... Please tell me I purchased a solid Coach and I'm in good hands with Heartland :eek:....

Tom

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
hey imchud, consider that I am a rookie with no mechanical abilities, and although the boys make fun of me on occaision they always give me great advice. I can also promise u that after a 32 day summer trip, i had 32 warranty problems (look at earlier post to see the problems) and Garry of HL warranty got 99% of them approved to be repaired in 2 days by a local repair shop. If I ever buy a new rig, it will be a Heartland product. Where can u find friends like this, who are always there with you in spirit, how can u lose?

osims

bsims
imchud
My post will be similar to Mark's. We purchased a 3055 Bighorn in 06 and loved it, pulled it over15000 miles. I took it to the dealer once for several small items just before it ran out of warranty( these were nic nac items that i waited on so to make one trip). We looked around and fell in love with the idea of a private bathroom ( I like to get up early and shower and shave with out waking Ornell up). Went to camping world to look at 09 Bighorns and ended up walking in the LM Cape Cod ,we looked at all the BH's and went back to the LM about 6 times, by then we were hooked. We love the cape cod ,floorplan and quality. My advice is to go camping and enjoy and if by chance anything arises Heartland will stand with you.
Good luck
Bill

regan

Regan
Heartland is Great!!

I own a 08 3400 RL. I have had a few minor problems which Garry at Heartland stepped right up to the plate and let me have fixed at my prefered shop. I came to the end of my warranty and had the whole coach gone through independently. I recomend Heartland to my family and friends, they have been a great company to work with. I dont think I would ever consider another company. Be confident of your new rig!! they are well built..None

imchud

To All,
Thank you for all your encouragement and help in settling my nerves... I have realize as i read all the post there is one thing that they all have in common and that is all of the post rave about Heartlands service to their customer... When my wife (Linda) and I purchased what we hoped would be our "keeper" 5th Wheel, one we could keep long after we retired, we (I) just got a bit panicked when I started to read some of the post... It does make since to post the problems so others can chime in (as you all did for me) and offer assistance... I look forward to an Ohio Rally in 09 and also to the Goshen meet, Again thank you and safe travels...

Tom & Linda

P.S. I will reply back and let you know how things go after our first outing coming up this next week....

548bhd

Heartland Products Great, No Worries

Purchased a 2009 Big County 3355RL this past March. Have been out on 6 trips this summer, 20 nights total, towed hundreds of miles on rough roads, zero problems of any kind. None. I cleaned out the little screens in the faucets to remove the sawdust (have had to this on every coach we have ever owned) and have never looked back. You can get a bad coach from every manufacturer, your dealer and the coach manufacturer are what make the difference. Good Luck!

bpmills

you need to name some of the problems you are having. I have a 2009 3400 rl and have none. No I am sorry, I cant get the water hot enough to suite me in the shower and the dealer says that maybe the park is not putting out enough amps to cover it, other than that my wife and my golden are taking off for several months starting the 15th of Sept. Get that thing out of the driveway and put it to use.
Burt

snuffy

you need to name some of the problems you are having. I have a 2009 3400 rl and have none. No I am sorry, I cant get the water hot enough to suite me in the shower and the dealer says that maybe the park is not putting out enough amps to cover it, other than that my wife and my golden are taking off for several months starting the 15th of Sept. Get that thing out of the driveway and put it to use.
Burt

Sounds like a bypass valve problem. Shouldn't be that difficult of a problem to solve. Water heaters aren't rocket science.:) Appears your dealer is FOS.

jbeletti

Burt,

Try the water heater on LP Gas to see if the water gets appreciably hotter. If it does, the low power theory may be accurate. If it does not get appreciably hotter, like snuffy mentioned, it sounds like you have a hot/cold mix going on.

If you have an outside shower head or spray port with hot and cold faucets, make sure they are all fully closed.

Jim

WRIGHT ll

retired Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Hey Imchud, Man I'm sorry to hear of your worries. I would guess we all have had those same worries after reading the posts on the forum. The forum is a great place to share information, problems, potential problems and, most of all, remedies.
I'm not normally a 'flag waver' but we really do like our '08 Bighorn model 3400RE. We've pulled it about 5000 miles and haven't had any problems with anything except the factory installed DVD player. The dealer odered a new one and that problem was solved. All the systems work as they are supposed to, nothing has fallen off the walls and nothing has bent,broke or twisted.
I will say this, the biggest fear I have is exploding tires. They are made in China and might go at any time. But, what can you do?
Good luck with your Bighorn and happy camping for many years to come.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Sorry to hear that the conversations on the Heartland Owner's forum has caused you concern. All I can tell you is that the main purpose of the forum, as stated by others, is to share information and help each other with problems, etc. Usually when everything's going right...there is nothing to discuss...so it seems there are nothing but problems!

Nothing could be farther from the truth. Although we've had problems, some quite serious, we still love our Bighorn...and especially the wonderful support of Heartland and it's employees. We've fulltimed in this rig, covering over 20,000 miles in 13 months. We've put this thing thru more use than most RVer's do in lifetime of RVing...all in all this coach has taken it amazingly well. As we move usually at least once a week, image how many times we've hitched, unhitched, moved slides, used dump valves, etc., etc....we kid with Heartland that we're their lovable "test case"!!LOL

Everything in this unit still works perfectly (except the crappy Olevia TV which finally died and we replace two days ago), we have no leaks, and it still looks new. Regular maintenance and inspection is key in keeping things working well, and allows you to know when items need replacing/repairing, etc. I guess my point is that no matter what you buy, there may be problems, but it's how the manufacturer deals with the problems that count...haven't found anyone better than Heartland at that!

Would be buy another Heartland? In a heartbeat!! Relax and enjoy you new rig!

davelinde

curious... have you read RV forums before?

I can relate to your going nuts... we bought our first RV 4 years ago and the forums made me a little nuts too. Serious problems, bad deals, etc, etc.

However, in the end I NEVER had an issue with a warranty repair (they were minor) my dealer treated me fairly (we bought "on line") we go a fair price on resale (we sold privately) and while we had issues that were inconvenient (we had two plumbing leaks and lost our brakes in the rain)... I accepted it as part what we were donig (a pinhole in a fitting, a fitting working loose, chafed wires... HEY it happens).

So far with our Heartland we have had a few things to understand/get used to, and one plumbing leak (a loose fitting).

I compare it to flying. Go talk to frequent fliers (I USED to be one) ask them about flight delays, poor treatment, etc, etc. At one point I was flying a LOT and thought about avoiding the carriers where I'd had a bad experience. It turned out that meant I'd never fly again...

Back to RV's. The forums will provide opinions from the opinionated and rants from those who need to rant and complain. RV's are houses on wheels and can have issues... the forums will reveal those issues. The forums will not give you much idea of how likely it is you will have those issues.

Don't go nuts and enjoy your new RV.

Thank you all for your reassuring comments.
I grew up RVing ('68 Kayot MH, '72 Winnebago Indian, '85 Winnebago Chieftain) and wanted to create the same experiences for my wife of 17 years and young daughter. By chance, I stopped by a dealer and looked at a BH 3055RL. I was incredibly impressed by the apparent quality of workmanship, the thoughtful design elements and the value of the product. I looked on Tuesday two weeks ago, WE bought on the following Saturday. I used this forum to confirm my reconnaissance mission beliefs and we pulled the trigger. In the time since we signed the contract, I've dug deeper here and other places and ran across some really bad stories. I too, was starting to get buyer's remorse.
I'm glad I read these replies tonight because ........ TOMORROW IS THE BIG DAY!