Interesting read about the RV industry....

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Holding companies are more focused on the return of investment by quantity rather than by improving quality. They trade companies like we used to trade marbles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CPDDet

I found this line in the article interesting. Haven't heard much about the " REV Group" before.

"Although REV Group is primarily a class A motor home builder, with its talent for building most anything, there is no reason whatsoever that it can’t easily move into building more class C’s, class B’s and even towables. And if REV Group gets aggressive in pushing for quality, it might get us consumers some higher quality RVs overall. There is always hope. "

porthole

Retired
1st paragraph is something I have been mentioning for several years now.

"The world of RVs is becoming crazier with the buyouts. Each time a small RV manufacturer is gobbled up by a bigger one, consumers are the ones to pay the price and suffer the consequences."

CPDDet

Another issue is the "chasing the 1/2 ton market".

There are so many 150's / 1500's out there the temptation for the RV industry is just overwhelming. Half ton towables are all the rage but the lighter they make these units the worse they become. Couple this with corporate greed and it spells disaster.

Only a very few manufactures out there who still build a pretty solid unit, but those better built units are heavy and people dont care to upgrade their tow vehicle to handle the heaver load. So the RV industry chases the thousands of half ton owners.

When Heartland cancelled production of the 3100CK while mine was on order, I was told by Heartland the unit was being replaced by a half ton towable unit.

Its a darn shame......

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Quality. There are so many discussions including that word. It seems to me that even if a company increased their quality, there are still going to be folks who disagree with the factory and those folks who are new RVers who expect it to be built like a house. I read on another forum a couple of days ago where a couple of folks were calling their Heartlands junk because the tank sensors didn't read correctly. Our current neighbor was chatting with me last night. He traded his 2016 LM in on a used Mobile Suites because he said it was junk, falling apart. His list of issues didn't rate junk to me.

IMO the worst thing Heartland did was strike the deal with Camping World to make the exclusives they sell. The worst dealerships in the country coupled with lightweight rvs coupled with new owners spells disaster for the reputation. That screams we care more about money to me. Last week a couple from the midwest on their way to CA pulled in with a North Peak. He pulled out his tools so naturally I went over to offer help. His basement was full of trim pieces, they had water leaks and the AC just wouldn't work at all. Of course camping world was not helpful. He hated Heartland, camping world, and his rig. Profit over customer satisfaction and quality. Does not seem to be working out.

CPDDet

Yep, it is an RV and not a stick built house and many people expect far too much.

But on the other hand I have to say that in some areas I'm disappointed with the build quality of my new Sundance. This isn't our first RV and the kitchen cabinet / drawer construction in this unit is very poor. Had to re-attach some cabinet facing, all drawer bottoms and reinforce the frame that holds the 3 drawer unit. Some of the pantry shelves are going to need attention as well. i find this a bit strange because other than the kitchen, the rest of the unit seems quite solid.

Having had RV's in the past I can take this all in stride but I can see where the uninitiated would be furious.