Hooray, I am now legal!!!!

Lou_and_Bette

Resurrecting this old thread I guess. See a few questions on what is having to be done to get the Class A, non-commercial, license. A LOT of confusion at the DMV as well.

When I went to get my Class-A non-commercial license I had to retake the written test but it included stuff on the trailer (checking lights, brakes, hitch, etc.) Simple questions but there all the same. Then the driving test included checking all the normal things to include lights (turn, brake and running) on the truck and trailer, explaining the 'emergency' breakaway switch and showing it to the examiner, checking tires, did not have a lug wrench with me but answered her questions about tire pressure and torque on the lug nuts. Then went for the driving test - normal driving in traffic, residential area, backing straight, backing up and then 90 degree turn into a lane, and parallel parking truck and trailer (which I had never done before). Passed all but really worried about the 90 degree and parallel parking. She wasn't impressed at all when I commented that both would probably be easier with a Semi-Trailer with the wheels so much further back than my RV's were. In any case, got back and she told me I had passed but that I'd have to go to Junction City Kansas, with medical exam paperwork, to get my actual CDL.

HUHHHH - asked her why since I was simply getting a Class A non-commercial license. A different examiner who had been watching me then asked why she had me do all of the stuff I had done (90 degree, parallel, air brakes discussion) as I was not getting a CDL. Bottom line to this long story -- she gave me the commercial CDL driving exam (which did pass). She apologized for the long test drive (I thanked her for passing me :D ) and after that I got my picture taken and license (non-CDL) mailed to me within a few days.

Gooooooo figure, a government employee who is il-equipped to do the job. When will the madness ever cease.