Big Horn Spare Tire Carrier

'Lil Guy'

While pulling my rig out to wash and get ready for our trip, I noticed the spare tire was mounted close to the handles on the carrier. Leaving all of that room on the other side, I figured I could mount my grey tank tote and have it hidden and out of the way.
What a great idea. Wrong.
After taking channel locks to unscrew the knob since the misalignment put the holes out of location a bit, I proceeded to pull out on the carrier to take it off of it's supporting ledge and lower it to the ground. Now with the tire mounted right at the handle and the handle being about a foot inside the outside edge of rig, that is a load for an old man to handle but doable. Needless to say, lowering it is duck soup compared to putting it back up.
Grab the handles, lift it up a little and try to slide it back(up hill) till the tire clears the support, then lift it up to allow bracket to set back on the ledge.
Stuff is flying, the air is getting filled with expletives and Linda walks up. My 1st thought was she designed it so here we go. My next mistake was asking her to help and see if the 2 of us could get it done. Forget the grey tank tote, I've already taken it off and threw it across the property. Jump in my golf cart and head back to the house to get my floor jack and haul it back thru the woods and over hills and dales to the site. After placing the floor jack on 2X12 (for it to roll), getting the jack under the two rails and supported with a 2X4 between rails and jack, and with DW keeping the off center tire balanced, I was able to get on the ground and use my legs to push jack. Now I raise it high enough to clear the ledge and push it in and release it down. Only thing left to do now is try to line up the holes enough to fight the screw all the way back till you can get the clip on it.

What the heck am I missing here with the handle up under the rig, is this thing designed for a 10" hub little trailer tire that weighs 20lbs? Or is it just me. Maybe I should have read the directions. Maybe I should't have messed with it.
Regardless, it ruined my day and made getting on roof and cleaning the rig a shaky job. This old man is worn out.

Is it me or has anyone else had any experience with the carrier. If the two handles were at the outside of the rig when in stowed position, this could work. But holding that weight while reaching under the rig about a foot is ludicrous.
OK, I feel better now.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Would like to have been a squirrel in a tree watching that S... show!!! LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

richheck

Seasoned Member
I had the same thoughts but thankfully thought the weight being moving the tire out would change the leverage so I purchased an additional carrier for my tote and mounted it behind the first. Works great.

d73a8767cad539b2b550326b90d1a414.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I had thought about getting one of those tire mounts but read enough negative comments to not. The OEM cable hoist still works for me. Test it each season to be sure it’s still working.

'Lil Guy'

I had the same thoughts but thankfully thought the weight being moving the tire out would change the leverage so I purchased an additional carrier for my tote and mounted it behind the first. Works great.

d73a8767cad539b2b550326b90d1a414.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Looks like what I'll do but the tire carrier is still a PITA. With the tire right by the handle, there is too much weight to be reaching under, lifting and pushing at the same time. Maybe I'll move the tire closer to the hinge side.

- - - Updated - - -

Would like to have been a squirrel in a tree watching that S... show!!! LOL!

You should have seen it in color. It was a show alright.

SLO

Thanks for posting this. I thought it was just me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CoveredWagon

I had thought about getting one of those tire mounts but read enough negative comments to not. The OEM cable hoist still works for me. Test it each season to be sure it’s still working.

What cable hoist ?...

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
What cable hoist ?...

Our 3010 had the cable hoist. Quite user friendly. This 3270 has the 3 men and a boy to lift it carrier.
It’s like the spare tire carrier under our SD or maybe your truck? How’s your spare truck tire secured?

JohnDar

What cable hoist ?...

How is your spare mounted, Dave? Mine hangs behind the rear axle and is raised/lowered by a crank cable, similar to how the spare on my truck is mounted. I have a crank handle with a slotted fitting that operates it from the passenger side of the rig via the fitting in the photo.

Attachments

• Rear RT jack.jpg
    Rear RT jack.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1405 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1405 (Small).JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 81

CoveredWagon

How is your spare mounted, Dave? Mine hangs behind the rear axle and is raised/lowered by a crank cable, similar to how the spare on my truck is mounted. I have a crank handle with a slotted fitting that operates it from the passenger side of the rig via the fitting in the photo.

Ah like a Chevy pickup truck. Mine is on the rack like the OP talked about. I’m still trying to figure out how I’d ever get back up if I took it down. Those g size Sailun (sp) tires are monsters.

JohnDar

Ah like a Chevy pickup truck. Mine is on the rack like the OP talked about. I’m still trying to figure out how I’d ever get back up if I took it down. Those g size Sailun (sp) tires are monsters.

Yeah, they're a little heavy. I've muscled one of mine off the axle (once) when the new valve stem they installed failed. All about leverage, breathing, and trying not to leave your cahonies on the ground when you lift it.

SLO

I’ve lifted mine up and down a few times on my 2016 BH. The last time was about 5 weeks after TKR with two torn rotators, but I’m pig headed. The thing that was most aggravating was the bolt that holds the slide-out in place was rusted enough that the plastic handle just rotated on the rusted bolt. I finally got it out and replaced with stainless steel bolt. I couldn’t get pliers on rusted bolt until I cut plastic handle off. Which would have been harder out on the road.

CoveredWagon

The thing that was most aggravating was the bolt that holds the slide-out in place was rusted enough that the plastic handle just rotated on the rusted bolt. I finally got it out and replaced with stainless steel bolt. I couldn’t get pliers on rusted bolt until I cut plastic handle off. Which would have been harder out on the road.

After reading about this issue earlier, one of the first things I did when I brought the trailer home was to undo that bolt and grease the threads.

Gary521

Lippert sells a storage box / spare tire carrier combination. It's a bit pricey at $500 but it has the crank down spare carrier like they used to have and a couple storage cabinets. If you are Hercules, the current carrier is fine but if you are a normal person, it ain't so hot.

Lippert also sells the winch for $50. It looks like you could mount to a couple of angle irons mounted on the frame. This would be identical to the older system.

CoveredWagon

Lippert sells a storage box / spare tire carrier combination. It's a bit pricey at $500 but it has the crank down spare carrier like they used to have and a couple storage cabinets. If you are Hercules, the current carrier is fine but if you are a normal person, it ain't so hot.

Lippert also sells the winch for $50. It looks like you could mount to a couple of angle irons mounted on the frame. This would be identical to the older system.

If you have a cable winch for the spare, keep it lubed and inspect the cable at least once a year. I’ve seen more than one Chevy truck lose a spare after a few winters up north.