Def

Gaffer

About to buy a new truck. How many miles can I expect (in general) on a tank of DEF?

farside291

From Google:

A truck averaging 6 MPG can expect to go approximately 300 miles on one gallon of DEF. Q. How can an operator determine how much DEF they will need/use? A. DEF consumption will be approximately 2% of the diesel fuel consumed. Another way to consider it is that DEF will be consumed on a 50 to 1 ratio with diesel.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
We just completed a 7300 mile trip. BH was in tow 62% of those miles. Overall mpg average was 12.2. The DEF tank was essentially full when we left and I bought 2 2 1/2 gal jugs while traveling. I’d need a third one to top off the tank now that we’re home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GregP

We have never found that getting DEF was an issue. Usually it is available wherever you can purchase diesel fuel, and our DEF gauge allows us to see how much is left.

pegmikef

Depends on the truck, size of the DEF tank (new ford tanks are bigger than earlier models), and mainly on the MPG. The more fuel you burn the more def you use. I don't know what the ratio is, but at 12 - 13 MPG I was getting about 1,000 miles to 2 1/2 gallons (which was half the capacity of my DEF tank at the time).

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
On a 5k oil change schedule, I put 2.5 gallons in somewhere in the middle and have them top it off when they change the oil. Def is so easy to find I do not carry any with us while traveling.

PondSkum

On my Ram 3500 (and previous 2500), when the DEF gauge reads 1/2, it will take a 2-1/2 gallon bottle and be back on full. On my 2500, I'd put 2-1/2 gals in about every 2-3k miles when not towing a lot. But when towing it seems to drink more. My new 3500 has like 1600 miles on it, and I'm just above 1/2 tank, and have been towing with it. So I'd guess it's somewhere around 2k miles per 2-1/2 gals of DEF.

SNOKING

I add a 2 1/2 gal box of Peak Blue DEF from WM at 2-3000 miles non towing and and at 600-800 while towing heavy. I add a box when gauge gets to 1/2, WM's are easy to find.
Here is how you read the date code on a Peak Blue DEF box, code GA19299...
Product was made 299 dates before Jan 1 2019.
365-299=66
So product was made about March 7th 2018. I bought it on March 31, 2018, which is good.

DEF Code.jpg

Piperflyer

I carry an extra 2-1/2 gallon box of DEF while on the road just in case I might get low. We are in Walmart's all the time, so I purchase it there when needed as it is usually the cheapest place. I like using the same brand and Walmart carry's the Blue DEF brand. I alway check the expiration date on the box.

Last edited by a moderator:

southernlady5464

WM’s BlueDef is 11.56 for 2.5 gallons. Works out to 4.62 a gallon. We can get it at Pilot/Flying J truck stops for 2.79 a gallon with no need to carry the spare fluid around. That spare fluid just adds extra weight. Plus we save 1.83 per gallon. That 1.83 adds up.

SNOKING

WM’s BlueDef is 11.56 for 2.5 gallons. Works out to 4.62 a gallon. We can get it at Pilot/Flying J truck stops for 2.79 a gallon with no need to carry the spare fluid around. That spare fluid just adds extra weight. Plus we save 1.83 per gallon. That 1.83 adds up.

"That 1.83 adds up."

I use about three to four boxes a year, that is 14-18 dollars extra per YEAR! And I have learned there is no need with the RAM's that have a DEF gauge to worry about carrying extra. When down to 1/2 tank, I still have 600-800 miles to find a WM and another box of Peak Blue DEF.

southernlady5464

"That 1.83 adds up."

I use about three to four boxes a year, that is 14-18 dollars extra per YEAR! And I have learned there is no need with the RAM's that have a DEF gauge to worry about carrying extra. When down to 1/2 tank, I still have 600-800 miles to find a WM and another box of Peak Blue DEF.
Yes, it adds up. It might only be 14-18 extra a year but why pay the extra?

SNOKING

Yes, it adds up. It might only be 14-18 extra a year but why pay the extra?

The only DEF pump that I looked at to use was at Seven Feathers in central Oregon and it was crusted with white crystals of crud. So I passed and have stayed with Peak Blue DEF. Works for me. Chris

Last edited:

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I buy the boxes. Don’t fuel in the truck lanes. Based on some of the comments I use a lot less than some of you
Just saying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lou_and_Bette

If that works for you I’m glad, however, the diesel fuel is usually a lot higher so the miniscule amount saved on DEF is lost on 60 gallons of diesel fuel. JMTCW

porthole

Retired
Ford suggests that with the 6.7 you will use approximately 1 full tank of DEF per computer monitored oil change.

For 100,000 miles of driving I have found that to be fairly close.

RoadJunkie

Ford suggests that with the 6.7 you will use approximately 1 full tank of DEF per computer monitored oil change.

For 100,000 miles of driving I have found that to be fairly close.

Not even close for me, especially when towing. I also must change my oil before the monitored oil change indicator, never seen it.