Small Air Compressor recommendations for RV tires

SueI

We are looking for a small air compressor that we can carry with us to use on the 5th wheel tires, along with checking our PU. Any recommendations?

dieseldog

Harbor Freight carries a small 110v compressor and tank. It’s been a great addition for doing the tires on truck and trailer. I also bought a small 12v compressor there for on the fly adjustments of my trailaire hitch.

Bobby A

What I have found over the last 10 years of full timing, that most any electric one will do the job to get 80 PSI, but for those of us that require 110 PSI very few will get you the last 4 to 6 pounds that we need to get to 110. I have bought 2 compressors over the last 10 year that I thought would do the job and they both have fallen short, again just to get the last 4 pounds or so is a real challenge. The first compressor I bought was a 2 gallon tank, 125 max PSI, the most recent was a 3 gallon tank, 135 Max PSI. I just borrowed a friends compressor and his was rated at 150 max PSI and the first 2 tires it worked fine to get the 4 pounds of air that I needed, once I moved to the other side of the trailer, the compressor did not work as good to get the 4 pounds I needed. I'm thinking maybe the motor gets hot and must cool down in order to be as efficient, not sure though, I'm just guessing. Jim B, please tell me if yours is able to get to 110 PSI without any problems. If so, how many gallon tank ? and what is the max PSI ?? I have to trick my compressor and pull the pressure relief valve and then I can finish the job. I would love to fine one like Jim's that works good every time.

jbeletti

Bobby,

I need to get to 125 and my compressor can do that. Depending on how low a given tire was and how much air was in my tank, I can do 1 or 2 tires, recharge the compressor and continue to the others.

Once the pressure of the compressed air in the tank falls below the air pressure of a tire, it’s time to recharge the compressor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Santanilson

Illinois Chapter Leaders-Retired
I highly recommend the viair air compressor. I have been looking for sometime and I believe that ive
found the best!
check it out on Amazon, model #45053 and see if it does perform to your specific needs.
Also, the kit came with a screw on air chuck and a duel foot chuck for duel wheel setups and enough hose to go down both sides of the rig without moving the compressor.

Last edited:

LBR

I have a Harbor Freight 6 gallon 1.5 hp 150 psi in my basement. I run 110 psi in all 12 tires and it's always up for the challenge.

Alan_B

I have the Viair 400P-RV and it works fine. It gets my fifth wheel tires up to 110 lbs.

I do recommend getting an air chuck that screws onto the tire valve stem. At these pressures I had a lot of leakage while trying to hold a regular air chuck onto the valve stem. A screw-on air chuck solved the problem.

pjones1969

I have the Viair 400P-RV and it works fine. It gets my fifth wheel tires up to 110 lbs.

I do recommend getting an air chuck that screws onto the tire valve stem. At these pressures I had a lot of leakage while trying to hold a regular air chuck onto the valve stem. A screw-on air chuck solved the problem.

Second for the Viair 400P-RV compressor.

Lynn1130

See the bottom of the page for "similar threads". This is a pretty common question but Viair generally comes out at the unit most carried. Less space and powerful. Mine fits under the rear seat of the truck.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
We also carry the Viair 400RV and love it! It has served us well with G and H Rated Tires as well as our Flex Air hitch.

Rod

SCPOSWRET

I also recommend the Vair 400 RV

I use the Senco model # PC1010 from Home Depot, $116.00
It seems a little large for some RV'ers taste but it's very portable
and I'd rather have something that exceeds my needs than something
that may turn out to let me down at the wrong moment.
I bungee it in my TV and it has never let me down.
65db at 12" away and now can be found at $107.00

Last edited:

Bobby A

All good information people, thank you very much, it seems everyone has there favorites, now, to do my homework, hopefully for the last time on this subject. Yes, I do believe this subject comes up quite frequently. Its all good !! Safe travels to everyone during this camping/traveling season.
Bobby A

SueI

Are you looking for a compressor or a compressor/tank combo?
Looking for just a compressor

- - - Updated - - -

All good information people, thank you very much, it seems everyone has there favorites, now, to do my homework, hopefully for the last time on this subject. Yes, I do believe this subject comes up quite frequently. Its all good !! Safe travels to everyone during this camping/traveling season.
Bobby A

Yes, lots of good suggestions. We, too, will do some research on all of the suggestions. Just getting ready to hit the road full time, and there is always one more thing we need, or so we think.

Last edited by a moderator:

jbeletti

Looking for just a compressor

Yes, lots of good suggestions. We, too, will do some research on all of the suggestions. Just getting ready to hit the road full time, and there is always one more thing we need, or so we think.

Sue - as you prefer a compressor without a storage tank, you'll need one that's really up to the task. I've used a number of compressors and tanks over the years but am no expert. Viair makes some great stuff. The Viair model suggested here by others looks like a good fit for you. Not going to be cheap but cheaper than burning out 3 lesser models :)

Note too that compressors with the oomph you need, draw a lot of DC current. This Viair for example has a max current draw of 30 amps of DC power. This means that you'll want to clip it directly to your truck battery and keep your truck running during all fill operations. Might even be less hassle to have your truck pulled up to behind your RV so you only have to use the first hose and not need to add the extension.

Note on Amazon, I found the 400P-RV and the 400P. The 400P on Amazon looks like 400P-RV from Viair's website. So be careful if you purchase the 400P... product that you buy the one you really want :)

Best of luck in your decision.

carl.swoyer

Harbor Freight carries a small 110v compressor and tank. It’s been a great addition for doing the tires on truck and trailer. I also bought a small 12v compressor there for on the fly adjustments of my trailaire hitch.
I know a gentleman that left his harbor freight compressor plugged in and came back to a fire in the garage.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk