Ford 6.7 DEF reductant heater increased warranty coverage

porthole

Retired
Ford recently announced an extended warranty coverage period for reductant heater codes or failures.
Increase of coverage to 8 years or 120,000 miles - or - if either of those two criteria have passed, the expiration date will then be 12/31/2018

The main fault code displayed will be P208

I have a heater failure and had already purchased a non returnable reductant heater, but I now have an appointment on Monday to get it fixed

ksucats

I noticed that this covers 6.7L up to the 2015 model year. Those of us with slightly newer vehicles still have to wait for Ford to recognize the issue on these ones.

porthole

Retired
I noticed that this covers 6.7L up to the 2015 model year. Those of us with slightly newer vehicles still have to wait for Ford to recognize the issue on these ones.

The problem for pickup failures is mostly 2011 and 2012. I think the 2013 and 2014 is for cab and chassis.

Newer models will most likely be under the powertrain or emission warranties. And if not and there is still a problem, NHTSA and the EPA will make sure the campaign is extended.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
The problem for pickup failures is mostly 2011 and 2012. I think the 2013 and 2014 is for cab and chassis.

Newer models will most likely be under the powertrain or emission warranties. And if not and there is still a problem, NHTSA and the EPA will make sure the campaign is extended.

I got a letter for my 2014. No issues but I have it just Incase

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
My letter came today. Less than 7K miles coverage left so if the heater is going fail it better do it soon!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ksucats

From: https://ford.oemdtc.com/3768/custom...r-assembly-repair-2011-2015-ford-f-super-duty

"This program extends the warranty coverage of the reductant heater and sender assembly to 11 years of service or 120,000 miles from the warranty start date of the vehicle, whichever occurs first. If a vehicle has already exceeded either the time or mileage limits, this extended warranty coverage will last through December 31, 2018. "

This is actually confusing - first it says that it extends the warranty coverage of teh RH&S assembly to 11 years of service or 120K miles. Since we are talking 2011 through 2015 model years, the 11 yrs of service doesn't make sense. If you have reached either it appears that you can go by the 11 years rule (or 120K miles if you reach it sooner). Either way, the Dec 31,2018 rule should not affect you. However, a coworker has a 2013 F250 6.7 and our local Ford Dealer told him that it expires on Dec 31, 2018, regardless. Hopefully our local dealer was incorrect! As I said, confusing.

I'm sure someone will reread it and post if I'm incorrect.

porthole

Retired
The warranty upgrade is to 8 years or 120,000 miles

Or, if you have surpassed either of those limits it is covered up to 12/31/18, regardless of age or mileage.

For me, I have an appointment on August 6th, have had the light for a couple of months now.
I currently have 106,000 miles and the truck is 7 years and 8 months old.

danemayer

On GMC trucks, and maybe others, the Reductant Tank fails because the $1.00 sensor on it fails and can't be replaced. So you get to buy a $1,000 Reductant Tank. I've had a boatload of DEF problems and everyone one was a sensor failure - various sensors.

porthole

Retired
With Ford's it is the tank heater that is failing, a $150-$250 part depending on where you buy it. No doubt it is a vendor - supplier that is footing the bill, or at least subsidizing Ford's cost.

pegmikef

My son-in-law just got the recall letter today, but he already had to have his replaced and it cost him 600 plus bucks. He was out of warranty (because of mileage). He did a little research this afternoon and it looks like he will be getting his money back. The dealer told him to bring all his paperwork in and they'd take care of him, so apparently Ford is making it retroactive. The other thing is if you are still in the extended warranty period, but above the 120K miles, they will honor it until the end of this year.

pegmikef

My son-in-law just got the recall letter today, but he already had to have his replaced and it cost him 600 plus bucks. He was out of warranty (because of mileage). He did a little research this afternoon and it looks like he will be getting his money back. The dealer told him to bring all his paperwork in and they'd take care of him, so apparently Ford is making it retroactive. The other thing is if you are still in the extended warranty period, but above the 120K miles, they will honor it until the end of this year.

Here is an update. My son-in-law took his stuff to the dealership and ford is going to send him a check for the parts and labor. His truck is a 2012 and he had to have it replaced in April 2017 with 75,000 miles on the truck.

porthole

Retired
Is this heater something you can disconnect? Causing the on board computer to show a code.?

The truck has to show a P208B fault to qualify.

Had mine done Tuesday. No issues with the aftermarket Titan tank and shield. But there was a bit of an issue because I forgot to turn off my "Turbo Timer" (lets the truck run for 2 minutes after removing the key) and there is some reset procedure that needs to see the key out of the ignition after shut down.

On my truck the "key in" buzzer trigger is disconnected.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Mine is being looked at today. We had to have a new system installed last year and I received the recall letter and started getting the code about two weeks ago. My fuel mileage has also dropped about 4 mpg and it will not completely finish the filter cleaning.

rebadeba

2014 F-250 Platinum diesel 6.7
Ford recently announced an extended warranty coverage period for reductant heater codes or failures.
Increase of coverage to 8 years or 120,000 miles - or - if either of those two criteria have passed, the expiration date will then be 12/31/2018

The main fault code displayed will be P208

I have a heater failure and had already purchased a non returnable reductant heater, but I now have an appointment on Monday to get it fixed

My light turned on yesterday (2014 Ford F-250) and I am having an issue with my reductant heater (code) also. I called the dealership and they said that it is only covered for 100k or 5 years (whichever comes first). They are getting me in on Monday the 31st (New Years Eve) since today is Friday, but I have to pay a $100 deductible. Please let me know where you got your information on this extended warranty because the Ford dealership is telling me it's not so. This is cutting it close with only 1 day left on warranty.

rebadeba

2014 F-250 Platinum diesel 6.7

Just found out my 2014 F-250 6.7 is not covered. It will cover years 2011-2012, but 2013-2015 extended warranty only covers F450 & F550. :(

CUSTOMER SATISFACTION PROGRAM

This program extends the warranty coverage of the reductant heater and sender assembly to 11 years of service or 120,000 miles from the warranty start date of the vehicle, whichever occurs first. If a vehicle has already exceeded either the time or mileage limits, this extended warranty coverage will last through December 31, 2018. Coverage is automatically transferred to subsequent owners.

~~~~~~~~
VEHICLES COVERED BY THIS PROGRAM

F250 - F550 2011-2012 *Built Aug 24, 2009 - Oct 23, 2012*
F450 - F550 2013-2015 *Built Apr 16, 2012 - Dec 9, 2014*