Upgraded to 6 Lithium Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

carl.swoyer

Most of you know we like to boondock vs RV resort camping, so battery power is top of the list of important things.

I was lucky enough to run into a few Heartland folks 2 weeks ago and they got a sneak peek at our battery setup. The Blog and YouTube video are now complete and posted.

Let me know if you have any questions.

YouTube - https://youtu.be/08u7VRPeJD4

Blog - https://www.rvwiththetanners.com/si...ery-Upgrade---6-Battle-Born-Lithium-Batteries

View attachment 59099
The ic 3000 references two 50 amp circuits while on shore power. How many amps will it provide when dry camping?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
The ic 3000 references two 50 amp circuits while on shore power. How many amps will it provide when dry camping?

22.5 amps under ideal temperatures

3000 x 90% / 120

- - - Updated - - -

I reached out to Battle Born about the points brought up with LifeBlue....here is the response from their CEO. Something about getting a response directly from the CEO, makes me think I picked the correct supplier for my Lithium needs. :cool:

In any case, we decided early on to not put Bluetooth internally because, 1) you can monitor cycles, SOC, V, current, etc externally using Victron equipment among others, 2) we were concerned that the battery would last longer than the Bluetooth version since that changes rapidly, and 3) we did not want to include something internally that could break over time when we find it not completely necessary.
But the main issue with the LifeBlue battery is their choice of prismatic cells – which are cheaper, but did not last as long in our cycle tests. The reason they don’t last as long is that, since they are more massive than the smaller cylindrical cells, they cannot dissipate heat as well. They are also harder to capacity match, because capacity variations are much larger. By contrast, smaller cells may be matched individually, and then matched again as modules. That is what we do. And finally, cylindrical cells are encased in stainless steel and are much less susceptible to moisture contamination, which can also cause capacity degradation.

Interesting. This is enough to make you wonder if both companies started with the same team, had a falling out and went their own ways.

And this is what I received when I had some general questions.

Our battery is much superior to Battleborn and many others. Our Bluetooth wireless battery monitor alone is worth an extra $300 or more. With our free App for IOS or Android, you always know how much energy is left in our battery. Plus it shows you cycle life, cell voltage, battery health, current, temperature and more. No one else offers this! This makes LiFeBlue the most unique and smartest battery available. See more here: http://www.lifebluebattery.com/smart-connect-details/index.html

Our battery manufacturer makes the cells and EMS boards for LiFeBlue Battery. Other manufacturers use parts from different vendors, often based on low price. We have asked but received no answer of who in China makes Battleborn parts.

Our cycle life tests show that our LFP cells will last longer than most others.

Compare our 10 Year Warranty with anyone else. Battle born has a 3 year warranty.

And compare the fact that our batteries have many certifications such as ISO9001, ISO14001, OHSAS18001, TS16949 and UL, CE, CB, UN38.3. Does Battleborn have any certifications?

We have the best, the smartest, the longest lasting, the lightest weight, the best warranty Li-ion battery for your RV boat or other power projects.

Seems that no matter who you buy the batteries from, LiFEPO4 batteries 'made in the USA' are actually assembled in the USA, using Chinese made cells.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

22.5 amps under ideal temperatures

3000 x 90% / 120

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting. This is enough to make you wonder if both companies started with the same team, had a falling out and went their own ways.

And this is what I received when I had some general questions.

Our battery is much superior to Battleborn and many others. Our Bluetooth wireless battery monitor alone is worth an extra $300 or more. With our free App for IOS or Android, you always know how much energy is left in our battery. Plus it shows you cycle life, cell voltage, battery health, current, temperature and more. No one else offers this! This makes LiFeBlue the most unique and smartest battery available. See more here: http://www.lifebluebattery.com/smart-connect-details/index.html

Our battery manufacturer makes the cells and EMS boards for LiFeBlue Battery. Other manufacturers use parts from different vendors, often based on low price. We have asked but received no answer of who in China makes Battleborn parts.

Our cycle life tests show that our LFP cells will last longer than most others.

Compare our 10 Year Warranty with anyone else. Battle born has a 3 year warranty.

And compare the fact that our batteries have many certifications such as ISO9001, ISO14001, OHSAS18001, TS16949 and UL, CE, CB, UN38.3. Does Battleborn have any certifications?

We have the best, the smartest, the longest lasting, the lightest weight, the best warranty Li-ion battery for your RV boat or other power projects.

Seems that no matter who you buy the batteries from, LiFEPO4 batteries 'made in the USA' are actually assembled in the USA, using Chinese made cells.
That's to funny !!!
I think for me the Lifeblue is a much easier way to go with the simplicity of the bluetooth connection giving me the little info I need. Jim's system is amazing, but way to complexed for the average guy.
I just want to drop them in and go.
The 10year warranty is a big deal too.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
That's to funny !!!
I think for me the Lifeblue is a much easier way to go with the simplicity of the bluetooth connection giving me the little info I need. Jim's system is amazing, but way to complexed for the average guy.
The 10year warranty is a big deal too.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

But now you get to think about fewer batteries at larger capacity of more batteries at a lower capacity.

- - - Updated - - -

And to add, this is the second round of questions I sent the other day.

Some additional questions.

As I consider upgrading to LiFEPO4 batteries; is there a preferred overall use mounting location?

I am thinking about installing the battereis in the front closet of my RV. This should potentially limit extreme cold when using the trailer.

My install currently includes all Magnum Energy components, 3000 watt Hybrid inverter which is also my battery charger, ARC-50 remote and PT-100 solar controller (although no solar panels yet)

My specific questions:

Will cold temps (sub freezing, sometimes near 0) be an issue when the RV is not being used such as winter storage?
Would the charging system and or SOLAR need to be shut down during these extreme low temps?

What low temp is the practical limit for use in day to day RV’ing?

What about high temps, are there any limitations?

I have not yet checked to see how warm my front closet gets, but will during our next heat wave.

Thanks in advance,

And the reply

The best location is one where the temperature is cool and stable. The closet should work fine. For storage, discharge to 50% and turn off the battery.

Choose the battery you want and read the data sheet for temperature ratings and all other info about charging and discharging. The battery can be discharged as low as -4°F. High temp. limit is 140°F. The hotter the battery is, the fewer cycles it will provide.

Not mentioned is that there is a practical low temp for charging.

Something like 25-32 degrees is the minimum for charging.

Hence the reason for my question concerning the closet.

Last edited:

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I asked Lifeblue if my current Convertor will work with the lithium batteries and this is there reply...

(PD converters with Charge Wizard are not suitable for Li batteries. We recommend (and stock) the Iota DLS series.)

porthole

Retired
I asked Lifeblue if my current Convertor will work with the lithium batteries and this is there reply...

(PD converters with Charge Wizard are not suitable for Li batteries. We recommend (and stock) the Iota DLS series.)

LiFEPO4 batteries have a non standard charging profile, best to have a programmable charger or inverter/charger. And they do not use a battery temperature sensors in the charge profile.

The voltages have to be adjusted for the three modes of charging (bulk, absorbing & float) The PD is non adjustable AFAIK and the Charge wizard performs a 4th mode, equalization, which is detrimental with the LiFEPO4 batteries.

Oregon_Camper

That's to funny !!!

The 10 year warranty is a big deal too.

I told you guys I had a conversation with the CEO of Battle Born...and he actually acted on this!!

From Battle Born's Facebook page this morning: (click here for more information on their site)

Here at Battle Born Batteries, we want you to have even MORE peace of mind with our new extended warranty on all of our lithium batteries.
1f50b.png
��
26a1.png
⚡️

The team is excited to announce that we are extending our three-year warranty to
10 YEARS!
1f389.png
��
1f389.png
��
1f389.png
��

We truly strive to make your customer experience exceed expectations, while making our products help your outdoor adventures. We want you to know that we have your back. Accidents happen and additional costs can be stressful. But now you can continue to enjoy your time stress-free, while being taken care of every step of the way.
1f91d.png
��
2728.png

This warranty applies to all of our customers past, present and future. We want to make sure you get out there and stay out there!
1f6a4.png
��
1f690.png
��
1f68c.png
��
2600.png
☀️

Thank you all for being apart of the Battle Born Battery family. We appreciate the support.

Capture.JPG

carl.swoyer

Wow - 10 years, that's really nice.
Really impressive !
Along with the price tag ?
$949.00 each = $5694.00 for batteries.
I'm not sure where I could justify that cost for batteries.
29 lbs each vs deka group 31 at 69 lbs each. I'm going to say to expensive for me.

porthole

Retired
Really impressive !
Along with the price tag ?
$949.00 each = $5694.00 for batteries.
I'm not sure where I could justify that cost for batteries.
29 lbs each vs deka group 31 at 69 lbs each. I'm going to say to expensive for me.

He didn't say what he got the batteries for.

Oregon_Camper

He didn't say what he got the batteries for.

Do you ALWAYS have to post in a negative manner? I told you the price...I think you can do the math.

If you don't think you post negatively, just go back to the Shunt wiring post You went so far as to tell me to check my glasses, but in the end you were the one with wrong information. ...funny, you never replied back to that post, stating you were wrong.

porthole

Retired
Do you ALWAYS have to post in a negative manner? I told you the price...I think you can do the math.

Oh, I'm sorry I hurt your feelings, here.

Where is the question of the price you paid negative?

I just had a hard time finding on this thread what you listed for the cost of the batteries and what you paid for the batteries.
And just to be sure, I just looked again, nowhere on the thread do I see where you posted what the batteries cost or what you paid for them. And certainly I can't find where you to told me what the price is.

After all, in the first post there is this:

Let me know if you have any questions.

And one of my posts you acted on and got more info provided.

I reached out to Battle Born about the points brought up with LifeBlue....here is the response from their CEO. Something about getting a response directly from the CEO, makes me think I picked the correct supplier for my Lithium needs. :cool:
In any case, we decided early on to not put Bluetooth internally because, 1) you can monitor cycles, SOC, V, current, etc externally using Victron equipment among others, 2) we were concerned that the battery would last longer than the Bluetooth version since that changes rapidly, and 3) we did not want to include something internally that could break over time when we find it not completely necessary.
But the main issue with the LifeBlue battery is their choice of prismatic cells – which are cheaper, but did not last as long in our cycle tests. The reason they don’t last as long is that, since they are more massive than the smaller cylindrical cells, they cannot dissipate heat as well. They are also harder to capacity match, because capacity variations are much larger. By contrast, smaller cells may be matched individually, and then matched again as modules. That is what we do. And finally, cylindrical cells are encased in stainless steel and are much less susceptible to moisture contamination, which can also cause capacity degradation.

I have had a dialog between the two companies for months now, as well as many other people. And many have questioned the warranty difference - and that has a had a positive outcome for any BB customers.

But good to know BB changed the warranty based on your conversation with them.

Now, to be fair, I'm not much of a blog reader. Don't really have time to read all the forums I look at.
But, I did just go look at the blog and again, I can't find where you listed what you paid for the batteries.

Now for everyone else following along, On facebook under Brian Boone's several pages (he is a solar installer). He offers a $25 per battery discount code to his followers. Through his affiliated company Continuous Resources.

And as far as this goes, had you just let the person I queried answer instead of you answering for him, it would not have gone the way it did.

just go back to the Shunt wiring post You went so far as to tell me to check my glasses, but in the end you were the one with wrong information. ...funny, you never replied back to that post, stating you were wrong.

Oregon_Camper

Now, to be fair, I'm not much of a blog reader. Don't really have time to read all the forums I look at. But, I did just go look at the blog and again, I can't find where you listed what you paid for the batteries.

If you had ever worked with a retailer, you'd know they would prefer you link to the site for pricing, however in my blog (that you said you read) the price is show in the picture shown below. So while I didn't tell "you" specifically (ok, I was wrong...see, I didn't die by saying that) it is (and always has been) shown in the blog image and talked about over and over in the video.

Capture.JPG

And as far as this goes, had you just let the person I queried answer instead of you answering for him, it would not have gone the way it did.

Gavin and I spend a LOT of time on the phone and many emails, as I helped him plan and build his system, so I knew what he had done was correct. You kept insisting that it was wrong, I tired to show you this in the first few replies. Yet your immature attitude of "...someone needs new glasses, and it's not me" comment was the type of comment that a child would do. You were wrong then and still wrong. Coming back with "oh...I didn't see the entire battery bank" comment is laughable. (btw...post #18 clearly shows the entire battery bank).

So in the end, what everyone has PM'd me about you is correct, you're just that "Keyboard Jockey" that thinks he knows everything.

carl.swoyer

If you had ever worked with a retailer, you'd know they would prefer you link to the site for pricing, however in my blog (that you said you read) the price is show in the picture shown below. So while I didn't tell "you" specifically (ok, I was wrong...see, I didn't die by saying that) it is (and always has been) shown in the blog image and talked about over and over in the video.

View attachment 59650

Gavin and I spend a LOT of time on the phone and many emails, as I helped him plan and build his system, so I knew what he had done was correct. You kept insisting that it was wrong, I tired to show you this in the first few replies. Yet your immature attitude of "...someone needs new glasses, and it's not me" comment was the type of comment that a child would do. You were wrong then and still wrong. Coming back with "oh...I didn't see the entire battery bank" comment is laughable. (btw...post #18 clearly shows the entire battery bank).

So in the end, what everyone has PM'd me about you is correct, you're just that "Keyboard Jockey" that thinks he knows everything.
I'm suggesting that a moderator close this conversation.
It's becoming hostile.

porthole

Retired
I'm suggesting that a moderator close this conversation.
It's becoming hostile.

No need to close.

Not hostile, but now that we are name calling I'll just unsubscribe and go file a 'Hurt Feelings Report'.

It's apparent we will never know the actual cost anyway.

Oregon_Camper

No need to close.

Not hostile, but now that we are name calling I'll just unsubscribe and go file a 'Hurt Feelings Report'.

It's apparent we will never know the actual cost anyway.

If you need help with math....

6 x $949 = $5,694

Happy now?

And still no admission of being wrong...

Status
Not open for further replies.