Wonderful work of Heartland

gslabbert5119

I did not know where to post this, so it is in the general forum.

when I removed my switch panel in my 2013 Bighorn, this is the mess that i found.

geez who cuts edges like that, and what was the person thinking when they cut the wood panel.

plus look at the wiring mess, is there no pride of workmanship.

you do not want to know the mess that i found when i opened up the panel in the underbelly storage area... OMG...

A picture is worth a thousand words

Attachments

• 7B40ED84-C83A-4635-9581-D2D8DD1A4B4F.jpg
    7B40ED84-C83A-4635-9581-D2D8DD1A4B4F.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 333

KyleC

That looks like behind my TV at home! But I totally agree about the pride thing. It seems to be all about speed these days not workmanship. The cabinet next to our bed in our prowler has like 6 nails poking out the bottom. Like come on guys with nail guns. You have to at least check to see if they came out the other side. Especially on the outside that people see.....

2017 Pathfinder SL towing Heartland Prowler "lynx" 25lx

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

when I removed my switch panel in my 2013 Bighorn, this is the mess that i found.

geez who cuts edges like that, and what was the person thinking when they cut the wood panel.

you do not want to know the mess that i found when i opened up the panel in the underbelly storage area... OMG...

There’s a reason I’ve labeled photos of mine as “The Basement o’ Doom.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pegmikef

I went from a 2014 BigHorn (built in June 2013) to a 2018 Landmark (built fall 2017) and I am appalled at the degradation of workmanship quality in just four years. It is easy to tell that a lot of the workers must be novices. In software we used to say make the developers use the program for six months and then it would be right. Be nice to make some of the line managers live in randomly selected rigs for six months moving every week or so and I'll bet they would start paying more attention and provide more and good training.

KyleC

I would fornally like to "second this motion"

2017 Pathfinder SL towing Heartland Prowler "lynx" 25lx

CoveredWagon

do you have ANYTHIG good to say about your Rv ?

jerryjay11

I doubt that the cutout was done by the manf. It looks more of a DIY job to me, especially because of the plastic inserts and wire nuts used. Heartland installers won't bother with plastic inserts. They'd just pop screws in and leave them loose.

I'd replace those wire nuts with crimp connectors and clean up the cutout beyond those plastic inserts. Then I would cut some 3/8 inch plywood into 2"X 2" squares and glue them to the back of the panel where I want the screws, using clamp to hold the 2"X 2" squares. This will give the screws a better bite to hold. I had done this with my TT to my access for the HW tank and power cord panels.

Of course I'd separate and organize the wires there so it would be easier to work with later.

sengli

Its a great hobby. I take the wall down in the basement on every rig I have owned and spent my off camping season time, cleaning up the basement of doom area. Re-plumbed a lot of runs that were not to my liking, and of course tried to tied up the bunches of wiring. Plus I always end up with lots of extra screws for later projects!

I always put the converters, and other electrical components either up on stand offs, or mount them on a wall to avoid damage if a leak occurs. I have recently taken a Montana tour, they dont build their units any better...and they cheap out on a lot of other things.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Looks just like every rig we have owned. I had to put backing behind the wall on our last rig and our current one because the panel kept getting so loose it was falling off of the wall. I wonder how much extra time it would take them to staple some 1x2's back there at the factory.

gslabbert5119

I doubt that the cutout was done by the manf. It looks more of a DIY job to me, especially because of the plastic inserts and wire nuts used.

JerryJay I put the plastic inserts in as a few of the screw holes were stripped. 4mm board panelling is really no good for securing the switch panel, and I can promise you that I did not cut that hole, and there are far too many wires there for the average Diyer to handle, an the diyer that can handle it would do better work than that.

Gavin

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
JerryJay I put the plastic inserts in as a few of the screw holes were stripped. 4mm board panelling is really no good for securing the switch panel, and I can promise you that I did not cut that hole, and there are far too many wires there for the average Diyer to handle, an the diyer that can handle it would do better work than that.

Gavin

Looks like a free-hand cut with a jigsaw that was not held tight to the board.

jerryjay11

Gavin

Wasn't suggesting you cut that hole. I thought I read you purchased it used and in that case it could have been previously owner. If not I stand corrected and it was the manf sloppy work. Also I have seen a lot of average diyer works of art in the many years working in the HVAC/R field and what you have isn't the worst I've seen.

Instead of inserts I glued 2" X 2" X 1/4" pieces of plywood behind the panelling of a couple under counter areas so the screws would bite better.

david5311

Had to drop the underbelly of my rig to replace a rear leveling sensor. Only dropped from the rear axle back and what a mess. Wires everywhere, wires going through holes with no chafing protection. Insulation on heating ducts not secure. Spent three hours on my back and knees organizing everything. Also found a coax coupling not tight. By the way, getting the underbelly back up straight is very hard

David

ram22

Had to drop the underbelly of my rig to replace a rear leveling sensor. Only dropped from the rear axle back and what a mess. Wires everywhere, wires going through holes with no chafing protection. Insulation on heating ducts not secure. Spent three hours on my back and knees organizing everything. Also found a coax coupling not tight. By the way, getting the underbelly back up straight is very hard

David

Wow! Explains a lot. Intermittent electrical power to my slide with no other explanation so far... poor connections may explain it. Ugh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk