Yamaha Generator

TTrox

Based on the discussion concerning how much generator need to power the Apollo Half-time oven in my 09 North Trail fiver, I am looking at a Yamaha EF2800iC generator. I don't need a larger generator and this one is rated at 20.8/ 23.3 amps. Anyone have any experience with this unit?

Thanks,
TTrox

snuffy

That is the generator that I have. It is fairly quiet, although not as quiet as the 2400 or the Honda 2000i, but still not bothersome. I leave mine in the bed of the truck with the tailgate closed and it is hardly noticeable.
We don't have the Apollo micro but it powers a conventional unit and a toaster oven at the same time without a problem. I've had this one for about 3 years and not a single problem with it. It's a good compromise of power and weight and at low speed it will run over 12 hours on a tank of gas. It also has a twist lock receptacle that I made a short adapter for to use the 30 amp rv cord.

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
TTorx
I have the Yamaha 2800. It runs just great and operates the micro easily. I have run the AC off of it to. Initially it will overload as the compressor charges up, but shut the genny down and restart it and turn on the AC and away it goes.

RVCamper

I have the 2400 Yamaha, and it starts the A/C right up .. and the Micro (Just not at the same time)

snuffy

TTorx
I have the Yamaha 2800. It runs just great and operates the micro easily. I have run the AC off of it to. Initially it will overload as the compressor charges up, but shut the genny down and restart it and turn on the AC and away it goes.

To avoid tripping the breaker on the generator turn the fan on manual and let it run all the time. Starting the fan and compressor at the same time puts too much of a load on it. My AC runs fine this way. And make sure the water heater is not running on electricity.

Uncle Rog

Yamaha 3000iSEB......

We chose this unit for features, price and portability. It was purchased through Mayberry's, no tax, free shipping. They "verbally" advertised the boost as up to 4500 watts with continuous of 2800......We use the inverter at night and recharge during the day, usually every third day, takes about 5-6 hrs to crank the 4 T-105's back up to full charge.
The only down side to a portable of this size is weight, at 150lbs it is a pita to load and unload. I use an engine hoist to accomplish these tasks and leave the unit in the truck in camp. I use a full plastic smoker cover to keep it out of the weather......great unit............

Mayberry's no longer sells Yamaha units.....................

Shadowchek

I have a coleman 1850 that is totally obnoxiously loud. So I have been doing some research. The honda 2000 may be a little underpowered and the yamaha 2400i seems to be just enough to run the Microwave from what I have been hearing. I was just camping at the beach where I had no hookups for the last couple of days and had an opportunity to hear a yamaha 2400i and a Honda 2000 20 feet from each other and the yamaha was clearly the winner in the noise catagory. The yamaha is quieter heavier bigger and has more power while the honda is lighter and cheaper with less power and may or may not be able to run the microwave. My delima is that I know a guy that has a honda em 2500 that he used once and looks like new he will sell me for $500.00 . It has basically the output rating of the yamaha 2400i, the noise rating and size of the yamaha 2800i it is a tough call. Anyone have experience with that generator or a suggestion :confused:

Greg

RVCamper

My delima is that I know a guy that has a honda em 2500 that he used once and looks like new he will sell me for $500.00 . It has basically the output rating of the yamaha 2400i, the noise rating and size of the yamaha 2800i it is a tough call. Anyone have experience with that generator or a suggestion :confused:

Greg

Run do not walk, and buy it from you buddy! Edit: Ask him if you can borry it to see if it meets your needs 1st, and test it to see if it will start the A/C. Futhermore verify that is will be quiet enough for you and your neighbors.

Last edited: