DPF Delete Recommendations for Dodge Cummins

Deone

Bought a friend's 07 6.7 Cummins, with 215K on it.

Not the millage of my 5.9 Cummins. I am told the answer is the DPF Delete, and it can add 6 miles a gallon.

Has anyone done one, what is the price I am looking at, and does it make a difference???

My 03 get 10 L to 100K. This 07 is getting 14 L / 100k. At $1.22 a liter, that could be $5.00 difference IFFFFF the millage improves to 10 L / 100K, or I expect payback in 20,000 kilometers (if I can get it done for $1,000).

Any Diesel gurus that can give me their opinions??

Last edited:

danemayer

Hi Deone,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

We do have some smart diesel guys on the forum, so you'll probably hear from some of them shortly.

lynndiwagoner

I've got a Duramax so I'm not sure about the Cummins, but generally I think you would be better off deleting the thing. Not to be political, but I don't think the EPA requirement for DEF in light duty trucks makes much of a difference in the whole pollution thing. One thing for sure, last month when I had a "DEF poor quality" message pop up on my dash and discovered that I would be limited to 5mph in a short time, I became fairly upset. I was about 2000 miles from home and not close to my regular dealer. For as much as we pay for these trucks, I don't think you should be stranded for an emissions problem. I got criticized on another forum for bringing up the EPA, so don't be offended. In Oklahoma, Texas, and most States I travel in they don't check emissions, Oklahoma doesn't even do a safety check anymore, and I don't intend on going to California. For about $1,400 dollars I can get all of that crap off of my truck. I think it will pay for itself considering future repairs to the DEF/DPF system, not even considering the mileage savings. Good luck with your decision.

Lynn1130

The first question you should answer is, does my state require emissions tests?. If so and your truck is deleted you won't pass.

Most with no emissions testing, and out of warranty who delete have reported slightly better mileage and fewer issues with DEF related equipment. That is from Duramax drivers.

lynndiwagoner

I guess they have a DPF and must use another system to burn off particulates. I know some pre 2011 Duramax diesels injected diesel into DPF to accomplish this burn off. I'm thinking the DPF has an finite life and can plug up but I'm not sure.

Lynn1130

Guess that clears that one up. I read DPF as DEF, but then I have my dyslexic glasses on this morning.

The problem then becomes with DPF, that some dealers, and diesel mechanics will not work on DPF deleted vehicle due to the violation of federal emissions laws once it is removed. Additionally, you probably can sell it to another private owner if you decide to sell, but dealers won't buy it with the deletion.

Pretty much, if you mess with emissions on a vehicle you run afoul of the federal regulations.

Gary521

I am not a classic environmentalist however I do not see the difference between deleting the particulate filter or the DEF system and throwing your trash on the roadside.

dave10a

I am told the answer is the DPF Delete, and it can add 6 miles a gallon.

There are a lot of unverified claims about power and milage improvements on engines. I doubt that one is valid. I loose about .5 mpg because of the regeneration on my Ford. The economics and State regulations do not warrant or allow the various deleted kits for my truck. If I did install any of the "delete" kits in my state, I would not be able to re-sell my truck with those kits installed because the state requires inspection for transfer of license. So I simply enjoy my truck as is. Yes there are a lot of horror stories, but most of them are baseless-- so be ware......

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I would think that any engine would benefit and run better without the emissions junk on it. I am not aware of any tests to this as from what I have read it is against federal laws to delete the emissions. If you plan on keeping the pickup forever i do not see why it would be a bad idea to do a delete unless your state government enforces the federal standards. If you ever decide to trade it in deleted you will lose $, what the dealer has to spend to get it back to stock, because they cannot sell it without the emissions.

lynndiwagoner

Hi Dave, I don't know if the Ford emissions will leave you stranded at the 5mph max speed or not, but the Duramax LML will do that if you don't address certain messages on emissions within a certain amount of miles. There are many horror stories on the web about people being limited to speed. Do a search for Duramax DEF Poor Quality problems and you will find many horror stories. Everyone is right about re-selling or trading in a deleted vehicle, so it is a difficult decision indeed. I did get the problem I had addressed at a dealer under an extended warranty from Chevy but that warranty will expire in about 2000 miles. After that period I will be on the hook for repairs. It's OK for now but who knows.

mlpeloquin

If you do remove the DPF system, keep all the parts so they can be installed later. Just in case you will want to sell or trade in later. Don't ever say never, because Murphy's law will bite you every time.

wdk450

You a Cummins 5.9 is a 6 cylinder, and a Cummins 6.7 is an 8 cylinder. That might account for some of the mpg difference.

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
I hate to disagree but my Cummins 6.7 is also a six cylinder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dave_Jari

You a Cummins 5.9 is a 6 cylinder, and a Cummins 6.7 is an 8 cylinder. That might account for some of the mpg difference.

Cummins 6.7 still a 6 cyl in mine. I had a bad catalytic converter on my 2014 which was going to cost around 2k for parts and dealer install, so I called a shop about a delete and they indicated around 1.8k, so it is deleted. Set HP up about 40, changed shift points on trans. and didn't gain but maybe 1 mpg. Dealer said DEF was cauing issue with converter. Dealer changed hands and had a recall notice on truck. New dealer said I had outstanding recall for converter. Told them the situation. To resolve, they ordered new converter and put it in the truck bed and I drove away.
With that being said, if not for issues, I never would have had the delete done. It used very little DEF, which I know is not what you are deleting, and fuel economy was good and power was great. I have had many more recalls on this truck than any ever before, and still think its the best vehicle I've ever owned.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
First part of 2007, it was a 5.9 Cummins with no emissions. Later part of 2007 changed to 6.7 Cummins with full emissions. (EGR + DPF).

Had a 2007.5 for 6 years. Great truck, no issues. I did have a tuner, EGR valve and cooler delete + straight pipe sitting in the garage. Never installed. Traded before I had the chance.

wdk450

I hate to disagree but my Cummins 6.7 is also a six cylinder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry, my mistake. Seems I remember someone saying to me that the 5.9 was the last of the Ram Cummins 6's. I should have done my research before piping up.

david-steph2018

Not the millage of my 5.9 Cummins. I am told the answer is the DPF Delete, and it can add 6 miles a gallon.

Has anyone done one, what is the price I am looking at, and does it make a difference???

My 03 get 10 L to 100K. This 07 is getting 14 L / 100k. At $1.22 a liter, that could be $5.00 difference IFFFFF the millage improves to 10 L / 100K, or I expect payback in 20,000 kilometers (if I can get it done for $1,000).

Any Diesel gurus that can give me their opinions??

We had an 05 RAM dually with the 5.9 (total out hit the rear of a semi) next one was an 08 RAM dually with the 6.7. This one had the DPF on it and after 75K started having issues with the DPF. ......we ended up getting a check from RAM for the issues. They even suggested to remove the DPF and we added a Smarty JR chip in it. We picked up about 4-5 MPG but she did throw some black smoke when you stomped it.
When the shop did the work I had to sign a form I would not drive on the road as this was for "off road use only".
But when we traded it in, no issues the dealer knew the removal since they changed the oil, wheel bearings, U-joints, brakes. No issues about trading it in, and did not want the parts I had saved for the 8 years to put back on just in case. When we traded it in it had 275K, it set on the RAM lot for 2 weeks and they resold it to somebody close to us. He is using it to pull his racing boat around.
In a little over a year the DPF plugged up 3 times and RAM had to replace it each time warranty issue. These thing ran $3000 for each DPF and labor. So the cheaper way was to hand me $5k and tell me how to fix the problem. Yeah you can remove the DPF and get better MPG on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fox

It is my opinion that these questions would be better answered in a Dodge/ Cummings forum.

It is also my biased opinion that these old, noisy (rolling coal) engines are anything that I'd ever desire; I'm glad to see them die. Please don't contribute to their belching black soot.