2002 Duramax smoking

uncledon

Her chauffeur
I have a 2002 6.6L LB7 which has begun to emit white smoke from the exhaust. Seems like it's more noticeable at an idle, but that just might be because the trucks not moving. Puts out quite a cloud when leaving from a stop. Oil level seems to be staying put and it doesn't look like I'm making oil (that's what alerted me the last time the injectors went out). This last spring I installed a Banks system which included the 4" exhaust, an exhaust brake, tuner, and new air intake system. Don't know that that has anything to do with the issue, but thought I'd mention it.

We are currently traveling in Texas and just arrived in Abilene. I am wondering if any of you Texans that call Abilene home have any recommendations on a shop that would be able to diagnose the issue. I have my own thoughts on what the issue might be. I had the injectors replaced with the newer upgraded ones back at the 110,000 mile mark. The truck now only has 168,000 on it. Anyone have a shop that they trust enough to recommend? Thanks.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I have a 2002 6.6L LB7 which has begun to emit white smoke from the exhaust. Seems like it's more noticeable at an idle, but that just might be because the trucks not moving. Puts out quite a cloud when leaving from a stop. Oil level seems to be staying put and it doesn't look like I'm making oil (that's what alerted me the last time the injectors went out). This last spring I installed a Banks system which included the 4" exhaust, an exhaust brake, tuner, and new air intake system. Don't know that that has anything to do with the issue, but thought I'd mention it.

We are currently traveling in Texas and just arrived in Abilene. I am wondering if any of you Texans that call Abilene home have any recommendations on a shop that would be able to diagnose the issue. I have my own thoughts on what the issue might be. I had the injectors replaced with the newer upgraded ones back at the 110,000 mile mark. The truck now only has 168,000 on it. Anyone have a shop that they trust enough to recommend? Thanks.

Possible coolant leak into a cylinder. Head gasket may be breached.

'Lil Guy'

White smoke definitely sounds like a head gasket letting water into the cylinders. Probably be a cheaper to repair than on a newer model. Good luck .

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I haven't personally used them, but have heard good things about this place:

https://abilenedieselperformance.com/

BTW You're just a little early for the West Texas Rally! Consider sticking around and joining us, March 15-17 at Whistle Stop RV Resort in Abilene!

rhodies1

Agree with comments on antifreeze leak,have you checked your antfreeze level,you stated that your oil is ok,sounds like it is dumping direct into cylinder.Have this checked ASAP,antifreeze is an engine killer.

uncledon

Her chauffeur
Thanks to all for the replies! Thanks for the lead Erika and Terry. As much as we would like to stick around for the rally, we have a family event over near Phoenix the end of the month. Thanks for the invite though!

Gary521

I disagree with the others. I think your injectors are failing again. There are only rebuilt injectors for these engines not inproved injectors.

Dmetcalf

That model year motor is the lb7 and had read about a few common issues these early motors had. One very common issue was the head gaskets blowing and another was the configuration of how the injectors were designed to go through the valve covers into the heads. The next updated models starting with the LLY models had a new design to not have the injectors go thru the valve covers.
I hope you can get to the bottom of this and get back on the road ..! Keep us updated please..!

rhodies1

Usually a bad or failed injector causes the engine to blow Black smoke due to much more fuel..it could be a host of issues. Let us know what you find

Last edited by a moderator:

uncledon

Her chauffeur
Took it in to ADP and the diagnostics showed several failed injectors. Parts are on the way. Guess we'll be staying around Abilene a bit longer. That's alright with us.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Dmetcalf

Took it in to ADP and the diagnostics showed several failed injectors. Parts are on the way. Guess we'll be staying around Abilene a bit longer. That's alright with us.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the update. Those are great motors with bulletproof transmissions (Allison), so after this hopefully you’ll have many more miles with no issues ..! I too am a huge Chevrolet fan.

Gary521

I do not know how your Banks add on works, However, any add on that increases the pressure within your fuel rail is detrimental to the injectors for these years ( what you have) of the Duramax. Time for a newer truck.
(update)
If there are now new injectors for these engines, this must be something new. For a while only rebuilt injectors were available.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Thanks to all for the replies! Thanks for the lead Erika and Terry. As much as we would like to stick around for the rally, we have a family event over near Phoenix the end of the month. Thanks for the invite though!

Well, please consider coming by the park during the week if you can, many folks will be arriving soon, starting as early as the 7th!

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Fuel injectors for this year should have been extended to 200,000 mile warranty.

DMaxRocks

Fuel injectors for this year should have been extended to 200,000 mile warranty.

The warranty was for 7 years or 200,000 miles, whatever came first. He is definitely out of the 7 year mark!

To the OP, I hate to hear about your injector woes. I am blessed that my factory injectors made it to 199k miles before GM replaced them under the extended warranty. That set of injectors is still going strong with 220k miles on them. I put 3 oz of FPPF fuel treatment in every tank. I purchased this treatment from Kennedy Diesel. I do not know if this is why i have had such good luck, but I'm not going to argue with the success that I have had.

Good luck to you in the future.

-Mark