2008-August 5th Wheel Trailer Sales Ranking

jbeletti

Hi all,

The August statistics* are out.

For 5th Wheel Manufacturers (All Models Combined) - Heartland remains #3.

Below are some statistics broken down by Heartland brand:

2008-August - 5th Wheels Models

#4 Bighorn/Big Country/Landmark (combined):
1978 units sold 2008-YTD vs 1539 same period 2007 / +28.5% year over year increase

#9 Sundance:
1,092 units sold 2008-YTD vs 613 same period 2007 / +78.1% year over year increase

#14 Cyclone/Razor (combined):
820 units sold 2008-YTD vs 609 same period 2007 / +34.6% year over year increase

Top 5th Wheel "Models":

# Model (Brand) YTD % Chg
1. Montana (Thor) -17.3%
2. Cougar (Thor) -1.1%
3. Eagle (Jayco) +52.2%
4. Bighorn** (Heartland)/ +28.5%
5. Wildcat (Forest River) -19.7%

* All statistics listed here are based on retail registrations for YTD through the month being reported
**Bighorn figures include Landmark/Bighorn/Big Country

jonesj2

Jim is there a way to post the top 10, 15 or 20 models? I would like to compare what Sundance to what my friends have.

jbeletti

Hi Jim,

Not sure how far I can go and be in compliance with our agreement with Statistical Surveys, Inc. in terms of reprinting data.

Safer yet, PM or email me the brand/model and I will reply.

Thanks,

Jim

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I personally can see why Heartland is doing so well. We must have looked at over a hundred RV's (including dozen's of 5th wheels at several dealers) before we decided on the Sundance. As newbies to the camping/RV world (my screen name describes what we were doing previously), we were looking for an little beyond entry level to get a taste of this new environment. Now, after several trips, we're absolutely hooked and the Sundance has exceeded our expectations. The price was right, the interior and exterior appoinments were nice, and the overall value was obvious. Guess I'm just a little biased:D. By the way - the wife is already lusting after a longer, roomier, more luxurious BigHorn or Landmark (which of course would necessitate a much bigger Tow Vehicle:eek:).

jcd8822

Joseph
That is great news, but not surprising. Our '06 Bighorn will three years old next week and we still love it like the day we got it. There is nothing about it I would change. Heartland still makes the best rig on the road.

Joseph

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
Thanks for the info, Jim. I do not understand how Montana can remain on the top. Is it related to the fact that the Montana has been around longer and may have more dealers? At least Heartland should a bigger % of growth. Are the Eagle and Cougar in the same class as the BH, BC, and LM?

jbeletti

Tom,

You called it. Thor's Montana has been around several years longer than Heartland. It is a huge brand with a huge following. I don't see us taking over their spot anytime soon but a boy can dream!

In terms of the Cougar and Eagle - I do not know how they stack up - sorry.

Jim

azbound

I owned a Cougar a couple years ago, one of my RV buddies recently purchased a new Jayco Eagle. In my opinion the Eagle is a step above the Cougar. Jayco makes very nice 5vers, Not as nice as Heartlands 5vers but very nice and the company has a reputation for standing behind it product. The Jayco would be my second choice, after Heartland. I truly believe when it is all over Heartland and Jayco will be among the survivors.

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
Satisfied.

We are so satisfied with our BH-3055 (2208). We've only had two short trips so far, and now we are preparing for a 14 night T.G. trip. Can't wait to use the fireplace. We waited three years to get this rig. It is so well worth the wait.

Tom of Ypsi

goldenbetty,

Enjoy your trip and do not forget that bearskin rug ;) to cuddle up on in front of the fireplace. We enjoy our fireplace on the cool mornings but would prefer warmer mornings and no fireplace.

phoenix50

my lemon

#3 is fantastic and that is why I purchased an Augusta but unfortunately after one summer my coach went in the shop to correct 32 issues, that was 10/12. The list included missing border & wrong light switch to low water pressure & a cracked holding tank. So much for quality control. :(

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Having owned a Jayco Eagle (tag-a-long) and a Montana Mountaineer (5er), I've had experience with all three makes. The reason I only kept the Montana one year was because of the Landmark. I fell in love with it the first time I saw it. The quality of my Landmark (yes, I've had some issues with it, but no more than I had with the Eagle or the Montana) plus the "extra" ammenities you get with the Heartland go way above the other two.

Owning a Heartland is the best thing I ever did. Right now, I think I've got my brother and sister-in-law talked into a Big Horn when they get ready to retire next year. He really wants a 5th wheel, but he needs to get a tow vehicle first.

Keith