2018 Ram Recall

'Lil Guy'

Just received a recall labeled V06. Pertains to our steering linkage. This is a serious recall due to the fact the nut will come off and you'll be at the mercy of which way the wheels go. I scheduled an appointment Monday before we leave on our trip to have the problem fixed. Their solution is to torque the nut and tack weld it .
Anyone with a new ram should be checking their emails about service. This could cause a major head on wreck due to the fact you'll hve no control of he front wheel position.

sengli

Saw that on the RAM forum. It has to do with the drag link which is that large hexagon shaped connection on the linkage between the two wheels. The issue is the two lock nuts on either side of the threaded link, can come loose. Mine were tight, and they have alignment marks from the factory usually showing the original position. This affects trucks going back to 2013 I believe as well. Cause that steering linkage is the same item.

Last I checked the parts werent available yet at the dealers, as FC werent sure how they were going to fix it. Some have suggested they were going to weld the lock nuts. But if they weld the adjustment link, so it cant be adjusted, is that a good thing?

This recall #13 since we have owned this truck.

Attachments

• draglink.jpg
    draglink.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 47
Last edited:

RickL

While I understand the concern I’d be hesitant to weld (spot or otherwise) anything on my steering. In the event of wear or issues it’ll add a heavy replacement cost going forward in my opinion. Either cleaning the parts to see the original factory marks or checking the tightness and marking a reference line would be my preference. The nut in question is going to just spin off. It’ll loosen over time and checking the marks occasionally would suffice for me. However, it’s up to the individuals peace of mind. I’m going to be interested what FCA comes up with for the fix. In the meantime my plan is to do as I stated.

John T Bettencourt

Just received a recall labeled V06. Pertains to our steering linkage. This is a serious recall due to the fact the nut will come off and you'll be at the mercy of which way the wheels go. I scheduled an appointment Monday before we leave on our trip to have the problem fixed. Their solution is to torque the nut and tack weld it .
Anyone with a new ram should be checking their emails about service. This could cause a major head on wreck due to the fact you'll hve no control of he front wheel position.
Did they do away with a castle nut and cotter pin?

'Lil Guy'

I'm going to let the Ram dealer do their fix. I'll post back Monday evening as to what they do to solve the problem.

mlpeloquin

Marc, is that an epoxy or something different?

It is a two part adhesive. I would call it an epoxy, but 3M calls it structural adhesive. I used it to adhere two aluminum sheets and when pulled until failure, the exposed adhesive actually had a thin aluminum coating. You must prep the parts properly though. I wish I could find out just what adhesive is used on military aircraft wings where rivets are not able to be used.

sengli

According to the NTSA site they are going to weld the nuts, they dont pas some torque specification. So what happens when later down the road that linkage needs to be adjusted? This linkage goes between the two steering knuckles.

Attachments

• draglink.jpg
    draglink.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 36

david-steph2018

So what years does this recall cover? We have a 2017 3500 and have not received any information in the mail, e-mail. Just had our Ram in 2 weeks ago and no mentioned on this recall. It was in for repairs because both front tires had toed and had worn the tires on the outer so bad had to be replaced.
Dodge did a alignment and I had to buy 2 new tires.
Now I wonder if this caused the tires to be worn like that.

Bones

It sounds like welding the linkage together covers Ram's butt but at the same time screws the owner in my opinion. I can tel you I'm getting tired of the constant recalls on my truck. This is getting ridiculous.

danemayer

If you haven't been notified yet by FCA, it's probably because they're not ready yet. They're working on 2017 model year first.

I've attached the FCA Service Bulletin with complete info on the repair.

You can look up all recalls, complaints, and investigations on the NHTSA.gov website. Here's a link for 2014 RAM 3500. You can also search for recalls by VIN.

Note:
As of January 16, 2019, 274 individual vehicles have reported alleged drag link separation.
As of January 16, 2019, FCA US is aware of eight accidents and one report of injury potentially related to this issue.

Attachments

• RCRIT-19V021-8391.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 39

'Lil Guy'

On my ram data I get monthly, This recall was pegged as urgent. I have an appointment for Monday and I'm going to get it taken care of now. Again, I'll post back with the fix as soon as it happens. This is a recall that sounds very serious. Front wheel separation would be scary under any circumstances, let alone with the BH behind me a highway speeds.

SNOKING

According to the NTSA site they are going to weld the nuts, they dont pas some torque specification. So what happens when later down the road that linkage needs to be adjusted? This linkage goes between the two steering knuckles.

NO that is the tie rod. This recall is for the drag link that goes from the steering box pitman arm to the passengers side front wheel steering arm. The adjustment sleeve and jam nuts are to center the steering wheel. Chris

danemayer

Got under the truck today. The driver's side jam nut wasn't even finger tight. It rotated as soon as I touched it.

I have an appointment for next Tuesday, but the dealer says they don't have authorization to work on the recall for a 2014 at this time. So they may charge me and let FCA reimburse me when the recall notice is mailed. But if it needs a new drag link, I'm not sure how they will handle that.

Bones

Got under the truck today. The driver's side jam nut wasn't even finger tight. It rotated as soon as I touched it.

I have an appointment for next Tuesday, but the dealer says they don't have authorization to work on the recall for a 2014 at this time. So they may charge me and let FCA reimburse me when the recall notice is mailed. But if it needs a new drag link, I'm not sure how they will handle that.

I probably should check mine now

Matt750

I found mine loose around a year or so ago. It wasn’t too long after I had the front end aligned. I noticed that every time I would turn the steering wheel I could hear a slight “popping” noise. I could also feel it ever so slightly in the steering wheel. Got under the truck and found one of the nuts loose. I put some loctite on both nuts and tightened the heck out of it. I also used a paint marker to mark them. Been fine ever since. I check it every time I do an oil change.

Romee

I found mine loose around a year or so ago. It wasn’t too long after I had the front end aligned. I noticed that every time I would turn the steering wheel I could hear a slight “popping” noise. I could also feel it ever so slightly in the steering wheel. Got under the truck and found one of the nuts loose. I put some loctite on both nuts and tightened the heck out of it. I also used a paint marker to mark them. Been fine ever since. I check it every time I do an oil change.

Just received our recall notice yesterday for the drag link issue on our 2018 ram 3500