Excessive sway

Just bought 2017 Heartland32p bhs towing with Ford F150 3.5 Eco Boost(2018) using Equalizer Sway control hitch (original hitch was two tortion bars with chains that go into bracket on a-frame not sure of name)

having excessive sway problems (very dangerous)
looking for suggestions: is truck to light,wrong hitch.....any thoughts?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Not sure about the design of your hitch, but when we had a TT, the hitch bars you described were to distribute the weight (WDH). Anti-sway was a separate friction bar device that attached to the A-frame and truck hitch. Sounds like your hitch is not correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It's important to have the proper tongue weight. You should have 10-15% of your gross trailer weight on the tongue.
Do you know your trailer weight? Tongue weight?

Peace
Dave

carl.swoyer

Just bought 2017 Heartland32p bhs towing with Ford F150 3.5 Eco Boost(2018) using Equalizer Sway control hitch (original hitch was two tortion bars with chains that go into bracket on a-frame not sure of name)

having excessive sway problems (very dangerous)
looking for suggestions: is truck to light,wrong hitch.....any thoughts?
First make sure you have your trailer tires at the maximum psi, as well as your truck. This will give you maximum side wall strength & control.
Second, your torsion bar and sway control should be set to level the camper. If the truck is squatting your steering axel will be floating.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

GK2018

It could also be the tires on your truck causing the unsafe sway. I pulled my camper to get service done on it using the factory truck tires which were getting replaced the same day as the camper service was being done. I went from the truck running Firestone Transforce AT over to Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. I went to pick up the camper after having those new Goodyears put on and I couldnt drive faster than 40 MPH without the truck and trailer walking all over the road I called discount tire told them my problem and had them take the Goodyears off and put the stock tires back on the next day, hooked to the camper again after getting home with the new Firestones and could pull my trailer at 65 MPH without a problem. Long story short it could be your truck tires causing the problem.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Might want to verify that equalizer was setup prop er rly. Too much or not enough load on bars will cause sway.

Equalizer. Manual has good trouble shooting tips.
Page 16-17
Page 29 has specific tips too.

You could also verify by checking measurements and level before and after connected.

procedure is in equalizer manual

Best to have rv loaded as ready for travel when checking measurements.
https://www.equalizerhitch.com/documents/manuals/EQ_Owners-Manual_6K-14K_BD015_PRINT.pdf