Help it’s so hot!

Simsbud

Hey everyone! I have a 2018 pioneer bh270 and we have had it for a year now. We are currently camping in south Florida and it’s hot outside but inside you can’t even be in the rv, I have a temp gauge and it says 88 inside the trailer. The ac is blowing cold out of the 4 vents but man it’s not helping! Any advice or tricks to help be able to use the trailer in the summer?

Dawnnira

New Jersey Chapter Leaders-Retired
Hey everyone! I have a 2018 pioneer bh270 and we have had it for a year now. We are currently camping in south Florida and it’s hot outside but inside you can’t even be in the rv, I have a temp gauge and it says 88 inside the trailer. The ac is blowing cold out of the 4 vents but man it’s not helping! Any advice or tricks to help be able to use the trailer in the summer?
Leave south Florida?
Fans to help exhaust and move air
Foil or shades to keep sun rays out
Start ac earlier before it gets unbearable
Consider a second air if its worth the investment to you, 1000 or so
Hope you make out okay...

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk

KyleC

I would say find someone with a heat sensor and check the temperature at the vents. Make sure it's cooling properly

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I would first be sure that it is cooling at the correct cooling temperature.Not sure exactly what that should be. Also be sure you are cleaning out your return filters as we have seen many folks do not know they need to be cleaned. We wash ours out once every week especially in hot times.Also in our 40 foot landmark unit we purchased a 30pint dehumidifier to help keep humidity out of the unit and also keep an extra ceiling fan or a small tabletop fan running to move the air. Do not know if this will help but just our suggestion. Good luck nothing worse than being hot in cold air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

Direct sun is the killer. Window awnings will cut the direct sun before it hits the windows and should help a lot. A less expensive option is reflective coverings - if you don't mind losing the view.

wdk450

Generically, freon air conditioners should provide a 20-30 degree F. cooling when working properly. With the unit running measure at the air intake, record the measurement; measure at the AC vent nearest the AC unit itself; subtract the 2nd measurement from the first.

In high humidity areas, make sure the AC unit on the roof is discharging the condensate water to the roof - drill additional drain holes in the lower corners of the AC roof unit base, if needed.

I have a foil and bubble wrap insulation product, Reflectix, over all of my windows since a very hot central California summer when I arrived here (Porterville) 2 years ago. I bought a 100 foot by 4 foot wide roll from Home Depot ($150) to lay on the roof in 2 strips this summer, but so far it has been too rainy and cold here (59 degree high today, tornado warnings) to put it up. I want to get a stronger desktop fan for my kitchen island, too. Also, I am planning on moving soon to San Diego to help an adult daughter with a congenital heart condition, and now her heart is failing. All of this Reflectix insulation will roll up and ride on the bed or in the storage compartment.

carl.swoyer

When it's really hot out we close all the day night shades and put the awning out. The night shades work best. We also run two table top fan's. Remember that keeping the return filters clean will make a difference.
I live in Florida so I completely understand Florida . Getting the interior temperature lower at night will be a great help.
Good luck.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Gary521

What size of AC do you have? If it is 13,500 it may not be large enough to offset the heat gain. A fifth wheel probably has better insulation that you have in a smaller travel trailer and even with a 15,000 btu AC its difficult for them.

MCTalley

A few factors are at play. Probably most important is that you have an aluminum skinned trailer with probably minimal sidewall insulation. That single AC unit is working very hard trying to keep that box cool. I have a 10x14 aluminum shed outside (we are in central Florida) and I can walk inside it, touch the inside portion of the roof during the day and burn my hand in this weather.

We have a 40' fifth wheel with much more insulation, light-colored fiberglass walls, dual pane tinted windows and double MCD shades on each window. We have all the shades pulled down all day during this weather and both ACs set to about 76 degrees. They'll run more or less all day, but barely maintain that 76 degrees (occasionally we'll hear one or the other cut off).

donr827

I found that putting a good tenting on the windows will keep out some of the heat and glare. Bsure to look at all the products for best heat rejection. I think the RV manufacturers will need to better insulate their products.

Power247

We had a similar experience with the AC in our Pioneer the first summer out. If you haven't already, pull the cover off the AC from inside the camper and check to see that both sides are sealed up properly. There's a good write up in the Bighorn section of this form and some great videos on YouTube, just search RV AC fix.

We also added Reflexix to the larger windows in the slide as well as the bunk area windows.

While we are still considering adding a second AC like the newer models have, having both these complete we can feel a noticable difference in the camper.

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Thunderbolt

First of all, getting relief from the direct sun load is one of the best ideas. I live in Louisiana about a half mile from the Mississippi River. Humidity is your worst enemy in hot weather. One post suggested using a portable dehumidifier. This might be a double edged sword. If you are going to purchase one, make sure that it is not adding heat to the interior. Make sure it has an auto shut off when the collection container fills with water.

Adding a second A/C unit is a good idea. You will need a 50 amp service to be able to run both A/C units at the same time. Most R/V's come from the factory wired for a second A/C unit. Call Heartland and ask about this. Adding a second A/C is a job! The unit is heavy and getting it on the roof safely is the biggest part of the operation. Sometimes, the manufacturer will even run a thermostat cable to a point in a wall. Again, check with Heartland.

All of the other posts cover what I would say next.

jeffdee

If you want to keep your investment under $500 to add an AC, consider using a portable AC. I have a 2014 Cyclone 3110. It has two roof ACs and it struggled to keep the inside cool with temps of 92 degrees and higher. Also, the garage was always hot! Five years ago I purchased a 12,000 btu portable AC from Sam’s Club. I put it in the garage and let the cool air blow into the den. I use a 12 gauge extension cord and run it through the lip seals on the slide and plug the cord into the 20 amp receptacle in the same power pedestal as the 50 amp RV is plugged into. With the three ACs running it was easy to keep the the RV at 72 degrees inside while it was 94 outside. I also have slide toppers on my three slides and I have a large window awning on the large windows.

BC753097-C609-41E8-B71B-FD8E9D5AE286.jpg

F91CE6EC-C0D2-4DCF-B30D-579BE6BF5239.jpg

Thunderbolt

If you want to keep your investment under $500 to add an AC, consider using a portable AC. I have a 2014 Cyclone 3110. It has two roof ACs and it struggled to keep the inside cool with temps of 92 degrees and higher. Also, the garage was always hot! Five years ago I purchased a 12,000 btu portable AC from Sam’s Club. I put it in the garage and let the cool air blow into the den. I use a 12 gauge extension cord and run it through the lip seals on the slide and plug the cord into the 20 amp receptacle in the same power pedestal as the 50 amp RV is plugged into. With the three ACs running it was easy to keep the the RV at 72 degrees inside while it was 94 outside. I also have slide toppers on my three slides and I have a large window awning on the large windows.

View attachment 61915

View attachment 61916

Good Morning! Who did the work on the slide toppers and the awning! Living in Louisiana this is something we can use. Thanks for the pictures.

NYSUPstater

We have used portable fans as well w/ good results w/ old coach. Another thing you can do is to crack open roof vents to allow hot air to escape. Cover the skylight in bathroom to help keep light out. If you have the quick cool version A/C, set it so the air dumps directly under it during the daytime and switch to roof vents for the night.