Now a bent axle????

windviewer

Hemifish69;623364 Im asking for suggestions on which axles from which vendors would be the best said:
Just a followup point as we are replacing the axles on our 2015 Prowler this week (same axles as on the BH270 by the looks of it). After 5 years of use, there was excessive tire wear on the inside of the left rear axle, and medium wear on the inside elsewhere. The rear axle visually showed a negative camber on the left side compared to the front axle. No idea if this is just travel wear. Trailer was never overloaded to my knowledge (but it IS a heavy trailer to start with).

Talked to local spring/suspension shop; replacement axles from dexter were $125 (beam only) or HD axles from local manufacturer (CERKA) for $220. (all prices CDN). Opted to go for the CERKA HD axles, which also come with the E-Z Lube setup found in newer axles from Dexter. Paid extra to have them built expressly so they can be changed this week.
Existing hubs/brakes will be transferred to new beams.

Hopefully this will fix the problem.

Just a followup point as we are replacing the axles on our 2015 Prowler this week (same axles as on the BH270 by the looks of it). After 5 years of use, there was excessive tire wear on the inside of the left rear axle, and medium wear on the inside elsewhere. The rear axle visually showed a negative camber on the left side compared to the front axle. No idea if this is just travel wear. Trailer was never overloaded to my knowledge (but it IS a heavy trailer to start with).

Talked to local spring/suspension shop; replacement axles from dexter were $125 (beam only) or HD axles from local manufacturer (CERKA) for $220. (all prices CDN). Opted to go for the CERKA HD axles, which also come with the E-Z Lube setup found in newer axles from Dexter. Paid extra to have them built expressly so they can be changed this week.
Existing hubs/brakes will be transferred to new beams.

Hopefully this will fix the problem.

Money well spent. Can't begin to fathom the replies here that said to " bend the axles back" they bent once, why wouldn't they fail again? I couldn't be more pleased with the replacement axles. Mainly because now I don't have to think about them. Now have about 2k miles on.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Money well spent. Can't begin to fathom the replies here that said to " bend the axles back" they bent once, why wouldn't they fail again? I couldn't be more pleased with the replacement axles. Mainly because now I don't have to think about them. Now have about 2k miles on.

The new axles can get bent just as easily as the original axles did.

All it takes is the right pothole in the wrong place... :confused:

The new axles can get bent just as easily as the original axles did.

All it takes is the right pothole in the wrong place... :confused:

The original configuration on mine was 3.5k axles on a 7700# gvw trailer. Now 6k axles. Granted, now the next weakest link is likely to show itself, but potholes of the magnitude you're hypothesizing weren't encountered. At any rate, I'm of the mindset that marginal equipment was originally installed.