Dometic thermostat fix

I have the wonderful Dometic thermostats in my fifth wheel that seemed to have a mind of their own. I figured out that the foam in the push pads would expand with heat and activate the thermostats. My fix was to drill out through the square foam holders from the back side of the face plate large enough for a stylus for a touch pad to fit through (though anything with a conductive surface seems to work). I then put velcro on the side of the thermostat and the same on the stylus. I just use the stylus to control the thermostat. See attached photo. Sorry this photo is so large. I'm new to this and trying figure out how to attach photos.

zkxF48nCLWLX-yLWS8RlWKCAjrk6TXGpkFMFr9pEupPNk0rmmaPJAwtH4p2LkToh_QCAYCDohrN8bv6S5ASHN4L3Gw6by3DVmIEHqCkwd13qZnqtYAyd36miMCK03h5PYwOj0Wy2jKQn0hfa5RJxVhQU-93T6Baix1Jsp8SdbRpWudQ9BrWk0NpATK6rM8p9jeJrwVE0qpxrD_UtQZw_LhvBgJHBD5zYXvvXGCMUCljNwmeQuvAT-IIg-YDsf_fYch3LP3Ze4IMeaZHG2eHnvm2ZujpSxDNDXA5E9_GOj_qg7y3F6CO3qy2WkritGFAlsIROboUxRfuaYDJnn1Nq-IYvM69hcgI_CCoNkA4de_EircKXI5Nkj6PnvkjWTG00s0hqRy-po2nBm0l4dzDTLVzpZXSNdcjJC8oMqX5MM2guOdxEkQb8jQCliRW6YHElXzOsl1tr0ktNyH-Rb4ygeXpdxuW9zXzZAtQamEDWCGwUg83JvUs6tXDiYKNkjGSWxk6XkdBMM3JOsX9CBG_3aGx4PlDSQmKxwot9CjBio_-EHFRkluQ0esEU1RIVAFF9GngVcoDRQqEE5pnmOysvX_P6G50yaBx6PcLuqT2Lf8okOuu4lA1mN_gc1T4xlu__9Xr4zfzqnnmjITWUYCKN5SLpssuEWGU=w375-h665-no

wdk450

Years ago Dometic had no Digital thermostats, and no plans to implement them. Some clever RVers found inexpensive Hunter (Brand) Digital thermostats at Walmarts, and posted a thread on how to connect them to the existing Dometic Air Conditioner/Suburban furnace combo. As far as I know the Dometic/Suburban wiring plan has not changed any.

Here is a link to the thermostat (now on Amazon): https://www.amazon.com/Hunter-42999...ocphy=9031514&hvtargid=pla-384648653999&psc=1

And here is a link to the old modification thread: https://heartlandowners.org/showthr...mostat-(Edge-M18)?highlight=hunter+thermostat

This setup has worked flawlessly for me for about 8 years.

Thanks for the reply. Right now I'm at $0 cost and this seems to work well. If this fails, I'll use your suggestion as a backup.

orion7144

I was having issues with one of my controllers and called Dometic. There was a run of bad ones that would do random things. They sent me a new one no questions asked.