No power to the power source for the refrigerator.

Sks102693

I've got a 2016 big country 4010rd.
I have no power to the source where the fridge plugs into.
When I turn the inverter on I have power.
I have checked the gfci it's good. Checked the breaker and it's not flipped. I checked all the junction boxes for loose wires. I'm lost to what is going on. I dont know if it matters but I turned my inverter on and turned my breaker off. Still had power to refrigerator. I really dont know what is going on. The refrigerator is currently running off a extension cord running to the power pedestal outside..

jbeletti

Here's the power flow for the residential refer (generally)...

AC power branch circuit breaker feeds an input of a small dedicated transfer switch (KISAE, MAGNUM etc), near the inverter.

Coach batteries feed the DC input of the inverter (usually a DC power switch in that line too).

AC output (usually a duplex GFCI outlet) of the inverter feeds the other input the small dedicated transfer switch.

AC output of the small dedicated transfer switch feeds the AC receptacle near the refer.

So - the branch circuit breaker CAN be OFF and the refer CAN have power so long as the inverter is ON and putting out 120 VAC.

What you will need to troubleshoot is the power path from the output of the branch circuit breaker to the input of the small dedicated transfer switch. My guess is a defective switch.

Consider checking for AC power on the Romex line that feeds into that switch from the branch circuit breaker.

On edit: I would be remiss in not providing a link to the Residential Refer User Guide. Dan Mayer worked hard to create it :) LINK

Last edited:

david-steph2018

Early in August our transfer switch for the fridge went out. I had to find a replacement on e-bay. I installed it in 5 minutes. On e-bay it was $75.00 at a dealership it was $250.00. While I was at it I asked the price of the inverter ($750.00) from the dealer. On e-bay anywhere from $250 to $375.

Chippendale

I want to get on this thread because I seem to be having a similar problem. I am going out to the storage lot in the morning and try a few things and see if I can figure it out on my own. I think it may be the inverter or the remote switch because I can cut the inverter on and it will work for a few minutes then it cuts off. Don't want to hijack the thread, but do want to be kept in the loop.

Thanks,
George

danemayer

Residential refrigerator wiring diagram from the user guide.

Attachments

• Residential Refrig Wiring v1 Landscape.pdf
    65.8 KB · Views: 21

Sks102693

Early in August our transfer switch for the fridge went out. I had to find a replacement on e-bay. I installed it in 5 minutes. On e-bay it was $75.00 at a dealership it was $250.00. While I was at it I asked the price of the inverter ($750.00) from the dealer. On e-bay anywhere from $250 to $375.
Did this solve your issue?

jbeletti

I want to get on this thread because I seem to be having a similar problem. I am going out to the storage lot in the morning and try a few things and see if I can figure it out on my own. I think it may be the inverter or the remote switch because I can cut the inverter on and it will work for a few minutes then it cuts off. Don't want to hijack the thread, but do want to be kept in the loop.

Thanks,
George

George - I'd suspect low DC voltage in your case. When you get there, look at the display on your inverter, then turn it on at the inverter. Look at the voltage displayed.

Chippendale

George - I'd suspect low DC voltage in your case. When you get there, look at the display on your inverter, then turn it on at the inverter. Look at the voltage displayed.

Thanks Jim, I am getting ready to head out there right now. Glad I checked the forum one more time.

George

Sks102693

Thanks,
George

Hey George. I've read somewhere that it's either battery issue or the inverter is bad. Supposedly the best option is to call heartland customer service. Have your vin make and model ready. The issue your having had happened to multiple new rigs. I believe it is a bad batch of components.

joelkorr

Here's the power flow for the residential refer (generally)...

AC power branch circuit breaker feeds an input of a small dedicated transfer switch (KISAE, MAGNUM etc), near the inverter.

Coach batteries feed the DC input of the inverter (usually a DC power switch in that line too).

AC output (usually a duplex GFCI outlet) of the inverter feeds the other input the small dedicated transfer switch.

AC output of the small dedicated transfer switch feeds the AC receptacle near the refer.

So - the branch circuit breaker CAN be OFF and the refer CAN have power so long as the inverter is ON and putting out 120 VAC.

What you will need to troubleshoot is the power path from the output of the branch circuit breaker to the input of the small dedicated transfer switch. My guess is a defective switch.

Consider checking for AC power on the Romex line that feeds into that switch from the branch circuit breaker.

On edit: I would be remiss in not providing a link to the Residential Refer User Guide. Dan Mayer worked hard to create it :) LINK

This was very helpful.. I'm chasing the exact issue right now.

Thank you!
Joel