Compressor recommendations

Dan54

I'm planning on upgrading my to a better compressor. Current unit says 120 psi but won't get near that pressure. I'd something decent quality with a tank to occasionally run an impact wrench that can fill tires on my Landmark 5th Wheel which require 110 psi. I have 110v & 220v outlets in my garage. Suggestions? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HOGHAULER

I bought the DeWalt pancake style compressor that reaches 165 PSI I needed it because my new h rated wheels and tires need 125 psi in my old little compressor wouldn't deal with that you can get that compressor for between $170 and
$ 190 it's good unit !

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

HOGHAULER

Here you go on Amazon
ab1e502ef868c75932b7b946386e850b.jpg

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

carl.swoyer

I'm planning on upgrading my to a better compressor. Current unit says 120 psi but won't get near that pressure. I'd something decent quality with a tank to occasionally run an impact wrench that can fill tires on my Landmark 5th Wheel which require 110 psi. I have 110v & 220v outlets in my garage. Suggestions? Thanks

I recently purchased the viair 150 ,and got rid of the Porter Cable pancake compressor.
And it works great for me and my g614 Goodyear tires.
I topped off my spare from 60 psi to 110 psi in about 3 minutes. Very happy with the quality and you can add another air hose. I do keep it in my Silverado Duramax dually under the back seat. 41ldGeI0MsL._AA370_-1.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I recently purchased the viair 150 ,and got rid of the Porter Cable pancake compressor.
And it works great for me and my g614 Goodyear tires.
I topped off my spare from 60 psi to 110 psi in about 3 minutes. Very happy with the quality and you can add another air hose. I do keep it in my Silverado Duramax dually under the back seat. View attachment 63228

We purchased a similar Viair a few years ago. The 450-P. I’ve been quite impressed with it. In both its size and capabilities. Next season we will be switching to 17.5 inch tires which I believe have a 125 PSI rating. But I have no fear that this compressor will handle it.

NYSUPstater

Home compressor is a Husky 175 PSI upright unit (CRS as of this writing as I don't know gallon size), but it's portable.
In the RV, same as Jamie's: the Viair only to use to add air to tires if need be.
Also in the RV...or at least I carry w/ me is a battery impact wrench (HF special, Earthquake rated at several hundred ponds of tq) to remove and lightly install lug nuts.
In truck, torque wrench that goes above 150# for both RV and trucks lug nuts.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
For home, I have the Ridgid 6 gallon/150 psi compressor. Relegated my older 125 psi Makita 3 gallon to the trailer. Also have a Viair set that lives under the back seat of my truck. Replaced the flimsy plastic hose with 50 ft. Goodyear rubber hose. I also have a 24V Impact Wrench from AutoZone. It do da job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LBR

I carry a 6 gallon pancake style compressor in the CY pass-thru compartment. It is in the middle against back wall which, because of my tool chest, is a dead spot for me to get to anyway. I leave the compressor switch on and ran the hose and plugin to my recepticle area for easy access. My needs require an air tank, and the 6 gallon does fine.

NYSUPstater

For home, I have the Ridgid 6 gallon/150 psi compressor. Relegated my older 125 psi Makita 3 gallon to the trailer. Also have a Viair set that lives under the back seat of my truck. Replaced the flimsy plastic hose with 50 ft. Goodyear rubber hose. I also have a 24V Impact Wrench from AutoZone. It do da job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John,

Awesome idea on replacing the plastic hose w/ a 50' rubber one. Have never used the Viair, but if my pea size brain recalls right, doesn't that have to be attached to the truck (or even 5er) battery?

CDN

B and B
I purchased a 6 gallon Port Cable on sale at Home Depot for $120.00 CAD last winter. I can reach it from the door side bay door, set for 130 PSI for H Tires. I have a portable trigger gun with a gauge for mountain bike tires. I turned pressure down for my Mouse Free application gun. Worked really well. I carry a generator so if air is needed on the road I just fire this up for compressor.

carl.swoyer

John,

Awesome idea on replacing the plastic hose w/ a 50' rubber one. Have never used the Viair, but if my pea size brain recalls right, doesn't that have to be attached to the truck (or even 5er) battery?
Yes it is connected to the batteries but that's never been a problem.
And where as I keep it in the Silverado DC power works best for me.
Excellent product and surprisingly fast.

danemayer

I also have the Viair 450P that I bought about 6 years ago when rolling on Goodyear G614 tires. I now have Goodyear 6114 tires that can go up to 125 psi. The Viair handles them just fine. Works best with the truck on high idle.

One thing to note when shopping is the duty cycle. There are a number of less expensive Viair models that have similar specs. The 450P has a 100% duty cycle, meaning you can run it for an extended period without breaks. The less expensive models have to rest xx minutes for every xx minutes of usage.

The Viair is 12V DC and I use the truck batteries for power. Rather than run from under the hood, I used a 7-pin plug, 2 short pieces of thick wire (sorry, don't remember the size), and a couple of battery bolts from Walmart to build a plug the Viair alligator clips attach to. Plug in the back of the truck and attach the alligator clips (with compressor OFF so there's no sparking).

Used the 7-pin diagram to identify where the hot and ground wires go.

Attachments

• 7 pin connector.jpg
    7 pin connector.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 2015-12-12 15.04.12.jpg
    2015-12-12 15.04.12.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 46

carl.swoyer

I also have the Viair 450P that I bought about 6 years ago when rolling on Goodyear G614 tires. I now have Goodyear 6114 tires that can go up to 125 psi. The Viair handles them just fine. Works best with the truck on high idle.

One thing to note when shopping is the duty cycle. There are a number of less expensive Viair models that have similar specs. The 450P has a 100% duty cycle, meaning you can run it for an extended period without breaks. The less expensive models have to rest xx minutes for every xx minutes of usage.

The Viair is 12V DC and I use the truck batteries for power. Rather than run from under the hood, I used a 7-pin plug, 2 short pieces of thick wire (sorry, don't remember the size), and a couple of battery bolts from Walmart to build a plug the Viair alligator clips attach to. Plug in the back of the truck and attach the alligator clips (with compressor OFF so there's no sparking).

Dane,

"Goodyear G614 tires. I now have Goodyear 6114 tires that can go up to 125 psi. The Viair handles them just fine"..

Just curious as to the reason for the up grade on your tires.
Thanks

danemayer

Dane,

"Goodyear G614 tires. I now have Goodyear 6114 tires that can go up to 125 psi. The Viair handles them just fine"..

Just curious as to the reason for the up grade on your tires.

Sending PM to avoid hijacking the compressor conversation.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
We have the Viair 450P-RV and love it. It is light, 12 volt, compact and will get up to 150 PSI of pressure and has a long enough hose that comes with it to reach the rear axles of the trailer.

Rod

david-steph2018

We also have the 450P-RV. It does a good job on the tires for us. If I remembered we got it off Amazon and it came in just a few days.

SLO

I Rather than run from under the hood, I used a 7-pin plug, 2 short pieces of thick wire (sorry, don't remember the size), and a couple of battery bolts from Walmart to build a plug the Viair alligator clips attach to. Plug in the back of the truck and attach the alligator clips (with compressor OFF so there's no sparking).

Did the same thing but attached 7-pin plug directly to Viair 12v power line with Anderson Powerpole connectors. Then use the Anderson Powerpole connectors and made a pigtail with the alligator clips so I could use either if needed. Engine does need to be running to work good though.

'Lil Guy'

I like this set up for my 450 VA system. 8 or 10 gage wire? If you know, please respond. Thanks in advance.

- - - Updated - - -

24 amps requires 10 ga wdire. I'll go with 8 if it fits.

carl.swoyer

We purchased a similar Viair a few years ago. The 450-P. I’ve been quite impressed with it. In both its size and capabilities. Next season we will be switching to 17.5 inch tires which I believe have a 125 PSI rating. But I have no fear that this compressor will handle it.

Mine is the Viair 300 with a 150 psi capabilitie. I only need 110 psi for my Goodyear g614. I do keep it underneath the back seat of my Silverado.

Last edited: