Bighorn Battery Access — Not so easy!

EdMcK101

I'm the new owner of a 2016 Bighorn 3575EL. Great coach, I've very happy with this purchase (I've owned Montanas in the past) and making good progress learning all the systems, etc. But battery access is difficult. They are housed in a plastic box with external positive and negative cable connections at the top rear of the plastic box. Unless I'm missing something its necessary to disconnect those cables and then remove the four screws at each corner of the plastic box before you can remove the top and inspect the electrolyte levels in the batteries. Really? Cut power to the entire coach just to check the fluid levels? For someone living in Tucson (where we have to check batteries nearly every month due to the dry climate) this Bighorn battery check procedure is way too tedious. I'd love to meet the engineering genius who designed this system. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Chrisandsama

Sounds like the same setup I have on mine and I just topped both my batteries off yesterday. There is no need to remove cables or loosen any connections, just remove the 4 screws that hold the top on, lift the top and prop it up. There is enough slack in the cables in the box to allow this.

danemayer

FYI,

If you're plugged into shore power, you can turn the battery cutoff to the OFF position and remove the batteries and your Power Converter will supply 12V DC to the fuse box and all your interior devices. Your hydraulic pump and other exterior devices will not have power.

We have a collection of owner-written user guides that you may find helpful, including one that details the Electrical system. They're in this folder.

You may also find the Landmark 365 User Guide helpful. There are a few things that won't be a match to your Bighorn, but the guide may clear up a lot of stuff for you.

BigHorns

There is no need to remove cables or loosen any connections, just remove the 4 screws that hold the top on, lift the top and prop it up. There is enough slack in the cables in the box to allow this.

Great thought, and I'm glad it works for some. Wish it would for me. It is impossible to check the battery water levels in my Bighorn without disconnecting cables. It is not possible to get the cover out of the way enough otherwise. I share the OPs frustration with this. Horrible design for supporting (or not!) such a routine and frequent maintenance requirement.

My two cents, as well...

LBR

I triple the remarks about that battery case top. I took the expensive route to remedy my displeasure, but glad that case and wet cell checkings are gone!

Chrisandsama

Maybe more than you’d want to pay, but. I use this system on my 4 - 6v batteries. The link is for 2 - 12v batteries though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is probably the best way to go right here if your going to stay with lead acid batteries.

HOGHAULER

I'm the new owner of a 2016 Bighorn 3575EL. Great coach, I've very happy with this purchase (I've owned Montanas in the past) and making good progress learning all the systems, etc. But battery access is difficult. They are housed in a plastic box with external positive and negative cable connections at the top rear of the plastic box. Unless I'm missing something its necessary to disconnect those cables and then remove the four screws at each corner of the plastic box before you can remove the top and inspect the electrolyte levels in the batteries. Really? Cut power to the entire coach just to check the fluid levels? For someone living in Tucson (where we have to check batteries nearly every month due to the dry climate) this Bighorn battery check procedure is way too tedious. I'd love to meet the engineering genius who designed this system. Just my 2 cents.

I cured issue when batteries needed replacing ,with sealed AGM Interstate batteries. no need to check sealed so no ventilation needed as is supplied by covered box with in and out ventilation .I sealed off incoming vent and cut top to make cable interfering with cover a none issue.
Change to AGM Batteries

Kathi-27

changed over to northstar agm 2 12volt batterys 3 1/2 years ago. Full timing have had 0 problems.