Black Tank Cable broke

rooker54

I have a 2018 3780FB Bighorn and my #1 black tank cable broke, this is the 1/2 bath toilet, my question were is the tank/cable located? need to know where to start. have no idea were this tank is even located. any suggestions:confused:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Looking at the floorplan for a 3870FB, I'd start by removing some of the bolts holding the coroplast under the bedroom slide, pulling it down enough to peek inside and taking a look. My guess is the tank serves both toilets and might be located between them. Alternatively, taking a look on the roof for tank vents might lead you to where it's located since the vent pipes tend to be straight into the tank.

You might also find it by removing the rear basement walls. The tank may be located (or visible) nearby.

SNOKING

It would appear that you have two 42 gal black water tanks and two 42 gal grey water tanks. You are going to have to drop coroplast under the 1/2 bath to find the valve and fix the cable.

You might also take a peek in the dungeon by removing a panel in the pass thru. Chris

Last edited:
It would appear that you have two 42 gal black water tanks and two 42 gal grey water tanks. You are going to have to drop coroplast under the 1/2 bath to find the valve and fix the cable.

You might also take a peek in the dungeon by removing a panel in the pass thru. Chris

On our black tank, we have had our cable unwinded . And I was going to clean the tank before our first use, and the cable is so hard to close.

JandL

I have a 2018 Bighorn 3870 FB and my 1/2 bath tank also broke today. Tried to empty, pulled cable and nothing happened. Very disappointed in Heartland. I will try your suggestions. Thanks for the form.
Jerry & Linda

mlpeloquin

I have a 2018 Bighorn 3870 FB and my 1/2 bath tank also broke today. Tried to empty, pulled cable and nothing happened. Very disappointed in Heartland. I will try your suggestions. Thanks for the form.
Jerry & Linda

All the parts in the fifth wheel are supplied by other manufactures. The tank valves are used by most RV manufactures including Class A and C motor homes. Most are Valtera valves. So why are you disappointed in Heartland for a failed valve? Understand your frustration, but Heartland and other manufactures do not have much of a choice. One thing that can be done is to shorten the cable length. The valve will work smoother. When installing the new cable and valve, first measure the length of the center rod sticking out of the jacket. Then pull the handle back a couple of inches. Rout the cable assembly to the valve and add a couple of inches making sure the length is sufficient. Cut off the excess length using a Dremel tool. Push the handle back in. Cut the center cable to the measurement taken prior. Reassemble the cable and jacket into the valve. You will find that the valve works smoother and easier. Most of us have had our fun with the valves.

JandL

Looking at the floorplan for a 3870FB, I'd start by removing some of the bolts holding the coroplast under the bedroom slide, pulling it down enough to peek inside and taking a look. My guess is the tank serves both toilets and might be located between them. Alternatively, taking a look on the roof for tank vents might lead you to where it's located since the vent pipes tend to be straight into the tank.

You might also find it by removing the rear basement walls. The tank may be located (or visible) nearby.

The 3870 BF has 4 tanks. 2 Gray and 2 Black. One for each bathroom. My cable pulls on the 1/2 bath but nothing comes out. I know it is full, is't been 6 days. Now to figure how to fix it. Not sure if I can get to it from the front compartment of if I have to take the coroplast off to get to the valve and see what the problem is.
Jerry