Torque 322 rear door

We are new owners of a 2019 Torque M322 toy hauler. We are both older folks and did not realize how hard the door was to operate, especially when letting it down the last half of the way. Or lifting it to close. Any one have any tips or modifications we could make.

danemayer

Hi peterbilt105,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

We have a lot of toy hauler owners active on the forum. I'm sure you'll hear from some of them soon.

NP_Chief

Welcome to the forum! If your door is extremely heavy, it's possible that there is water intrusion somewhere. Check around the bottom of the frame for rust and around the frame for bubbles. I also give mine a shot of garage door lube at the beginning of every camping season.

LBR

When you are in the center walking it down, have the wife grab and pull on both cables to help you ease it down level.

When raising, lift the top up in the center and hold it at chest height until wife gets ahold of both cables...then walk it upward while she pulls on cables.

Same procedures, only reversed.

Welcome to the forum! If your door is extremely heavy, it's possible that there is water intrusion somewhere. Check around the bottom of the frame for rust and around the frame for bubbles. I also give mine a shot of garage door lube at the beginning of every camping season.

the trailer is new so no water intrusion

When you are in the center walking it down, have the wife grab and pull on both cables to help you ease it down level.

When raising, lift the top up in the center and hold it at chest height until wife gets ahold of both cables...then walk it upward while she pulls on cables.

Same procedures, only reversed.
I understand the idea you are presenting,but how would my wife grab both cables on a door this wide

Matt750

I’m not familiar with the Torque 322, but what LBR is referring to as the 3 season set of doors that sets right in front of the ramp door. Typically, you use this set of doors when you have the ramp door in a patio configuration to keep the “toy hauler” portion of the RV enclosed. When the ramp door is in the patio configuration, it uses cables to support the ramp door to make a patio. These cables (one on each side of the ramp door) is what LBR is referring to. So, even if you don’t have the 3 season set of doors, if your ramp makes into a patio, you will (or should) have these cables. LBR is suggesting that one of you get inside of the RV and hold on to these cables while the other person lowers the ramp door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LBR

we have a 322 toy hauler I have no idea what you are referring to when you say the two 3-season doors
Everything matt750 stated above...

I assumed you had doors when you probably have a drop down tarp for the garage/patio division...my bad.

When one person is outside pushing up the tailgate, have another person inside grab both tailgate cables when they become slack and pull hard to help the outside groundman put up tailgate. Does this make sense?

Flick

We are new owners of a 2019 Torque M322 toy hauler. We are both older folks and did not realize how hard the door was to operate, especially when letting it down the last half of the way. Or lifting it to close. Any one have any tips or modifications we could make.

Peterbilt105, I agree with your concern. Ours is heavy also. I do just fine working ours but if one stumbles or slips while working with it, someone will probably find you under it!! With this in mind and having thought about this every time I use it, I will be trying to devise some sort of simple pull rope using a “snatch block” attached to the door. I think this would help tremendously to help support the door when you get to the break point. Anyhow, I’ll be looking at this more closely later this year. Don’t laugh you big, burly guys. Lol on this end.

Peterbilt105, I agree with your concern. Ours is heavy also. I do just fine working ours but if one stumbles or slips while working with it, someone will probably find you under it!! With this in mind and having thought about this every time I use it, I will be trying to devise some sort of simple pull rope using a “snatch block” attached to the door. I think this would help tremendously to help support the door when you get to the break point. Anyhow, I’ll be looking at this more closely later this year. Don’t laugh you big, burly guys. Lol on this end.

let me know what you come up with

- - - Updated - - -

Everything matt750 stated above...

I assumed you had doors when you probably have a drop down tarp for the garage/patio division...my bad.

When one person is outside pushing up the tailgate, have another person inside grab both tailgate cables when they become slack and pull hard to help the outside groundman put up tailgate. Does this make sense?
it kind of does,but when you are late in your 70's and not a big burly guy or gal it doesn't help much

Flick

is one of the springs broken on the door? Mine opens & closes easily & I'm 66 years young.

After you asked, I went to look and the springs are in place and working properly. Our door is not so heavy that it can’t be open/shut by one person, but I have to admit it’s not the easiest thing on the coach to use. I can also sympathize with those who find it difficult. A good example of finding it difficult to use is when we were backed into a space a few weeks ago where there was a 3’ deep ditch behind us. We were on the Texas coast on a beautiful evening and could have used the patio. We were afraid we wouldn’t be able to close the door after we opened it due to the higher lift, so we didn’t use it. But, all is well and we do like ours.

NP_Chief

I didn't think about it until now... I came across a guy at an offroad park a few years back that had a winch mounted on the floor at the front of his garage and a pulley mounted at the top in the back. He claimed that it could be used to load his buggy, raise it up while it was outside so he could work on it, and raise/lower the garage door. I did not see it in action and there had been a few adult beverages consumed that day. Might be something to consider... If all you use it for is the garage door, a $50 Harbor Freight winch will serve the purpose.

mlpeloquin

I didn't think about it until now... I came across a guy at an offroad park a few years back that had a winch mounted on the floor at the front of his garage and a pulley mounted at the top in the back. He claimed that it could be used to load his buggy, raise it up while it was outside so he could work on it, and raise/lower the garage door. I did not see it in action and there had been a few adult beverages consumed that day. Might be something to consider... If all you use it for is the garage door, a $50 Harbor Freight winch will serve the purpose.

As I was reading this thread, this is exactly what I was thinking about. You hit the nail on the head. A small winch and pulleys.