Delete kit

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Calder and welcome to this great forum.
I don't know how many here have done the delete to their Cummins so you might have more comments over at the Cummins forum.
What model year is your truck?

Peace
Dave

NYSUPstater

Can't speak for Cummins, but co-worker did this to his '12 F350 Powerstroke and claims his mpg's are super and more power. Not sure what it does for emissions testing for inspection tho.

Dave_Jari

Hello Calder,
I have a 14 3500, deleted couple of years now. Dealer said DEF ruined catalytic converter, believed them, and dollar for dollar chose to delete. No testing where we are. In my delete, I had no noticeable difference whatsoever. I used very little DEF mile to mile, more towing which is to be expected. Another consideration is that according to dealers, by law, they have to restore the emissions to pre-delete, costing you seriously a second time if you choose to trade rather than an outright sale. This is just my two cents, I wouldn't do it again.
When taking truck for recall, I was told the converter recall was still outstanding. Dealer changed hands since initial visit, new dealer ordered converter and loaded it in the bed of the truck to clear recall. If this is your situation I know where you can get one inexpensively.

Last edited:

sengli

I am on the ram forum, quite often. There is a lot of this type of info there. One thing is the mechanics of a delete are one thing. Having someone tune the system, after the delete is done is the hard part. Just simply un-bolting parts isnt going to make it better. Unless your really willing to play around with the truck, sounds like you could turn your tow vehicle into a money pit.

Gary521

While I am not a tree hugger per se. People who do this have no respect for the environment. I don't like putting DEF fluid in the truck but, on the other hand it does work. It bugs me to see a truck putting out all that black smoke. The truck has plenty of horse power as is. If you want to go fast, get a race car like I have and lets see how you do where it really counts.

lynndiwagoner

While I am not a tree hugger per se. People who do this have no respect for the environment. I don't like putting DEF fluid in the truck but, on the other hand it does work. It bugs me to see a truck putting out all that black smoke. The truck has plenty of horse power as is. If you want to go fast, get a race car like I have and lets see how you do where it really counts.

Hey Gary, I think folks that delete their vehicle is not because they don't have respect for the environment, it's because they have some concern regarding their pocketbook and reliability. As long as these light duty diesels are in warranty then it's just an inconvenience to take it in and get repaired. When they are out of warranty it is quite expensive to keep repairing an EPA mandated system that is very unreliable. I've been stranded while pulling a 40' fifth wheel and found it hard to locate a dealer to fix it so I could continue without being limited to 5mph. There's no way around that limitation, it just happens. I don't really think privately owned light duty pickup owners should be punished when they are really not polluting that much if you look at the big picture. You would be surprised at how many trucks in Texas have been deleted and don't blow any black smoke. Blowing coal is just for kids.....

With all of the crap going on around the world it appears that the EPA is going to crack down on companies that help private owners get rid of the crappy DEF system. If it's out of warranty I say it should be OK to do what ever you want to your own vehicle, but that's just me. I have no problem with your opinion and I hope you respect mine.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Calder, is emissions testing done in Ca? If it is, that should be the answer to your question. It is my understanding that the CHP will down your truck until the system is restored to factory settings. I don't want to spend a fair amount of money to delete it and then spend even more to put it back on.

Gary521

Calder, is emissions testing done in Ca? If it is, that should be the answer to your question. It is my understanding that the CHP will down your truck until the system is restored to factory settings. I don't want to spend a fair amount of money to delete it and then spend even more to put it back on.
Then don't do it.

carl.swoyer

Can't speak for Cummins, but co-worker did this to his '12 F350 Powerstroke and claims his mpg's are super and more power. Not sure what it does for emissions testing for inspection tho.
A friend of mine has a delete on his 2015 Duramax.
Claims 28 mpg and 17 towing?
He is able to flash it back to factory settings via Bluetooth from his Android.
I think he spent upward of $ 1500.00.
The company is able to read his scan and make adjustments for him if needed.
Can't remember the company name?
Personally, I don't see the need. My Silverado Duramax dually ltz is a beast already.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk