Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Camping, Rallies and the Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1. Print this Post   #11

Re: Camping, Rallies and the Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Quote Originally Posted by jayc View Post
    This hits us hard. We are at a rally. Do we leave and shelter in place, or just stay inside?

We have a large rally scheduled for about three weeks away. Should it be cancelled?

I agree with the above statements, that precautions should be taken. I believe and hope that the media hype is overblown and that this will blow over with little effect. Other than shortages that will soon be cleared up.

Right now, my plan it to go forward as planned and hope for the best. I will continue, as all of us will undoubtedly do, washing my hands frequently and using hand sanitizer liberally.

I really feel sorry for the collateral damage to small businesses and vendors at planned events that have been cancelled. Where will the madness end?
    I agree, Jay! Very much looking forward to the rally. Thanks!
    God bless!

Debi
    & John (Jmac)

2. Print this Post   #12

I as well agree w/ RickL. Local/major food chain had lines up the wazzoo, out of bread, toilet paper, pasta, packaged meats, produce (but it was 730am so store just getting things back in shape IMO from day before), no milk or butter. Now store says they are closing for 6 hours overnight to clean/restock----and I can just imagine it will be like Black Friday come 6am. DW & DS went shopping this morning and went to Home Depot and struck up a convo w/ an associate who said another associate broke down in tears (either this morn or yesterday) cuz an elderly lady was trying to reach a 3pk of disinfecting wipes but couldn't. Some young taller guy came right up behind her and grabbed them/tossed into his cart and went on his merry way. The clerk who cried said to the guy as he walked past (clerk couldn't get to the lady), "Hope your mother is proud of you", he just turned, smirked and kept on going.

MANY I've talked to have all said the same thing as what's been said here already. By vigilant, wash/sanitize your hands, stay away from folks who may have a compromised immune system etc unless you have to be near them, but just go about your normal activities. With the latter being said, food service companies may take just as big a hit as restaurants (exception being here grocery store companies). Tho we ourselves don't have any camping plans till Mom Day w/e, as of now not cancelling anything.

3. Print this Post   #13

This would be a good time to evaluate your need for a medical assistance service that would get your RV home in the event you are unable to do so.

We used to have the Good Sam Travel Assist Plan which provides some concierge type assistance, pays for flights home (in some cases), and pays for return of your RV in you can't drive. This is different from their Roadside Assistance Plan.

When FMCA opened membership to towables, we joined FMCA. As part of membership, the provide an equivalent assistance plan that will get your RV home. FMCA also offers a Roadside Assistance Plan competitive with Good Sam.

SkyMed has come to some of our rallies to talk about their offering, which I've heard is even more comprehensive.

Dan and Ann Mayer & fur baby Callie the Rally Dog
    2011 Landmark Rushmore
    • MorRyde 8K Independent Suspension
    • 8K Kodiak Disc Brakes
    • Goodyear G114 17.5" tires
    • RV Comfort Systems Cheap Heat
    • MorRyde 33x90 Sliding Cargo Tray
    • Torklift Glowstep Revolution Aluminum Steps & Dirt Destroyer

2014 RAM 3500 Laramie
    • Cummins 6.7 Diesel, AISIN Transmission
    • 4x4, Long box, Crew Cab, DRW 3.73
    • Sailun Terramax A/T 4S, 235/80R -17. 5 Tires
    • Hensley BD3 TrailerSaver Hitch
    • Garmin RV760 GPS

Is club membership right for you? Click here to learn more

Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

4. Print this Post   #14

The main thing that is being told to us in the fire department is wash your hands a lot. At least 20 seconds of scrubbing your hands before rinsing. Avoid a lot of contact. That is hard for us southerners. We hug and kiss everybody. But, for now stop doing it. My wife is a school teacher. They are off until mid April. I get it. It is not to cause alarm but, to limit possible exposure. They are also telling us on medical calls to stay 6 ft away from patients with elevated temps until we don our gloves and mask. But on regular call no mask needed. For the seniors I would say just limit touching others (shanking hands and hugs) and wash your hands after touching something in a public space. I do feel like the media is over doing it, but the public needs the awareness. Just use common sense (no bobbing for apples and sharing cups, and carry Clorox wipes to clean a public toilet if you have to use it.) and I think we will be find.

David & Nichole Hebert
    Katheryne, Kesley, Kayde &
    2 dogs, 2 guinea pigs, & a dragon
    2009 GMC Sierra SLE 2500hd SRW
    2015 Heartland Gateway 3650bh

5. Print this Post   #15

Not saying HL should but appears others are canceling or postponing. I agree with the other weight your risk factors and use common sense.

With escalating concern regarding the COVID-19 virus, and the Tucson mayor’s recommendation on March 12, 2020, that large gatherings be postponed, on Friday, March 13, 2020, at 4:30 p.m. Eastern,
    FMCA's Board of Directors voted to cancel
    FMCA's 101st International Convention and RV Expo set to take place March 26 through 29 in Tucson, Arizona. We understand that you will have questions, but ask that you please remain patient as we make arrangements for this unprecedented situation. Additional communications will follow next week.
    Randy & Kathy
    16 F350 CC SWB Platinum 6.7 PSD 4X4 w/mods
    08 F350 CC SWB Lariat 6.4 PSD 4X4 (Gone)
    Pullrite Superglide
    2013 Key Largo

6. Print this Post   #16

Full timers, I'd like to bring up something that may not have been thought about up to now.

Because RVs provide their occupants with a great degree of social isolation, everyone may be thinking they're relatively secure with respect to Covid-19. The weak link in this assumption is the staff at the RV Park. They are still exposed to community transmission outside the park.

If there is a single confirmed Covid-19 case among staff at an RV Park, it's very possible all staff members would have been exposed and may have to be sent home and put into isolation for 2 weeks. Faced with no staff, management may have to stop providing all services, and worst case, close down the park temporarily, requiring you to leave on short notice.

I'd suggest you have a backup plan in your pocket. If the park you're in were to be closed, perhaps you could stay with family. Or perhaps you could check into an alternate park.

Now would be a good time to think about your plan.

2011 Landmark Rushmore
    • 8K Kodiak Disc Brakes

2014 RAM 3500 Laramie
    • Hensley BD3 TrailerSaver Hitch
    • Garmin RV760 GPS

Is club membership right for you? Click here to learn more

7. Print this Post   #17
    Director of Owners Interests, Heartland RVs

Camping, Rallies and the Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Dan - related to your point, I read on the website of another one of our spring rallies and found they are doing their best to limit exposure by:
    1. Taking no new reservations
    2. Limiting office staff to 1 person at any given time
    3. Limiting guests in the office to 1 person at a time

Not perfect but not closed either.

Here in Texas, when we need to go to the grocery store, Walmart, Walgreens etc, only one of us goes inside. Again - not perfect bit trying our best when we do go out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jim Beletti

Index of my Sundance 262 RB Modifications

Club membership is free and it's easy to join. Click here to learn more

8. Print this Post   #18

We are full-time and just left our winter RV park in southern Arizona two days ago. Our next stop was a state park where we checked in while we stayed in our car. We were handed a campground map by an employee wearing gloves - the campground fees had been paid online at the time of the reservation. Our next RV Park has emailed us directions for check in - there will be no human contact. So far, all of our upcoming RV parks are open and have communicated their plans for dealing with new arrivals. We did make back up plans for one of our stops - hopefully we won’t need them.

Admittedly, it has been stressful - trying to decide if we should stay at our winter park and ride it out - or - move on as planned. We decided to move on with our original plans (we have reservations) and will continue heading north toward our family. Fortunately, we have a place to ride out the storm over the long term - no matter how long that is.

Right now our biggest challenges have been finding DEF for our truck, and like everybody else, finding cleaning supplies, toilet paper and food items.
    2016 Ram 3500 Laramie, Diesel, Dually, 4.10, Aisin
    2016 Landmark 365 Key West

9. Print this Post   #19
    Director of Owners Interests, Heartland RVs

Barb and Frank - if need be, drive through the truck fuel lanes at Pilot, Flying J, Loves etc and add DEF at the pump for cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jim Beletti

Index of my Sundance 262 RB Modifications

Club membership is free and it's easy to join. Click here to learn more

10. Print this Post   #20

News reports from Pennsylvania Thursday afternoon

Gov. Tom Wolf orders all non-life-sustaining businesses in Pennsylvania to close physical locations to slow coronavirus spread
    The accompanying industry and business list allows RV Parks to remain open, with a note limiting to "Residential" purposes. I'd guess that means no rallies.

2011 Landmark Rushmore
    • 8K Kodiak Disc Brakes

2014 RAM 3500 Laramie