Camping, Rallies and the Coronavirus (COVID-19)

jbeletti

Creating this Coronavirus (COVID-19) topic for those who wish to discuss it as it relates to their planned RV travels, be it at rallies of doing their own thing.

Last edited:

'Lil Guy'

NOT to be a splash of water on this party that is about to happen, BUT. Has there been any thought to the gathering and the coronavirus? I want to be at the rally as much as the next person, but I also want everyone to be safe. Many of us (I'm speaking of my wife and me) are in the "senior" group and that is the one being hit the hardest by this virus.

Just wanted to put this out there so a conversation can take place or not.

Don't throw rocks.....please..
My wife and I have been discussing this topic for the last week. Our plans are for a 2 month trip to the east coast. Being 70 and having COPD has got me a little worried. My traveling partners are older than I am and also concerned. We're going to play it by ear for another week and then decide about this vacation trip. We're excited about stopping in Savannah Georgia and then going to Charleston.
In answer to your post, I'm sure the majority of Heartlanders are weighing this crisis the world is in. I'd hate to be hospitalized are quarantined that far from home.
Now that I'm thinking of it, this should be on it's own thread off of the rally sites.

Keywestwego

NOT to be a splash of water on this party that is about to happen, BUT. Has there been any thought to the gathering and the coronavirus? I want to be at the rally as much as the next person, but I also want everyone to be safe. Many of us (I'm speaking of my wife and me) are in the "senior" group and that is the one being hit the hardest by this virus.

Just wanted to put this out there so a conversation can take place or not.

Don't throw rocks.....please..

RickL

While to not downplay the seriousness of the Corona virus, normal flu takes more toll along with other diseases. Stop buying into the hype and do what is best for you. Myself, I am carrying on per normal. I wash my hands, try to refrain from touching my eyes ( unless I just washed my hands and am putting in or taking out my contacts) and I’m not stocking up on any supplies over and above my normal levels.

Our main stream media has manipulated so many people into hysteria that I just want to scream. Stop watching the garbage.

Obviously this is just my opinion and you are free to your own opinions.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
What RickL just said. Although we’re on our way home, we recently went to a show in Myrtle beach, been out to eat and visited with neighbors in the RV park. We witnessed the staff taking a bit more care clearing and cleaning the tables, handi wipes nearby, etc. We’ve become more aware of what we touch in public and wash our hands more often. We consider ourselves healthy and not planning to significantly change our routine nor listen to the media pundits’ hysteria. Our generation has overcome and survived many other viral invasions without the information and tools available to us today.

I think we as a country are going overboard on the closing and canceling of schools and events but I think there is an underlying agenda IMO. Those are our thoughts.

Take care everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DebiMac

What RickL just said. Although we’re on our way home, we recently went to a show in Myrtle beach, been out to eat and visited with neighbors in the RV park. We witnessed the staff taking a bit more care clearing and cleaning the tables, handi wipes nearby, etc. We’ve become more aware of what we touch in public and wash our hands more often. We consider ourselves healthy and not planning to significantly change our routine nor listen to the media pundits’ hysteria. Our generation has overcome and survived many other viral invasions without the information and tools available to us today.

I think we as a country are going overboard on the closing and canceling of schools and events but I think there is an underlying agenda IMO. Those are our thoughts.

Take care everyone

Agreed! Would hate to see any rallies canceled!

- - - Updated - - -

My wife and I have been discussing this topic for the last week. Our plans are for a 2 month trip to the east coast. Being 70 and having COPD has got me a little worried. My traveling partners are older than I am and also concerned. We're going to play it by ear for another week and then decide about this vacation trip. We're excited about stopping in Savannah Georgia and then going to Charleston.
In answer to your post, I'm sure the majority of Heartlanders are weighing this crisis the world is in. I'd hate to be hospitalized are quarantined that far from home.
Now that I'm thinking of it, this should be on it's own thread off of the rally sites.

Hope you decide to come! We’re really looking forward to seeing you!

Flick

Take care everyone

One thing for sure, the awareness factor is there. Is the media overplaying it? Of course, we’ve seen them on beaches with hip waders when the waves were only ripples. They have a lot of people scared. Do we need to be informed. Of course. Everyone should take the necessary precautions and go about their normal routines always erring on the side of caution as you would if you were around someone with the common cold.
With that said, if gatherings are upcoming, those in leadership roles should look seriously at rescheduling. I realize this is a costly decision and it needs to be shared by all who participate. We’ll get thru this and be stronger on the other side.
By the way this is an old Texas guy visiting northern Utah in my rv. Be safe.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
On a related line, Michigan schools will be closed until April 6, our FD Training meeting next week is cancelled, as is a weekend Flashover class. We were to have an Awards Banquet next Saturday, but it’s postponed. And the symphony concert we were going to tomorrow is also cancelled. With the schools shutting down, the line in the local grocery store was reminiscent of what you see at the ladies rooms at a rock concert. Just needed a loaf of bread and it was slim pickings for that. Fortunately, we were well stocked before all this nonsense for most everything else.

The media is pushing panic over precaution.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
This hits us hard. We are at a rally. Do we leave and shelter in place, or just stay inside?

We have a large rally scheduled for about three weeks away. Should it be cancelled?

I agree with the above statements, that precautions should be taken. I believe and hope that the media hype is overblown and that this will blow over with little effect. Other than shortages that will soon be cleared up.

Right now, my plan it to go forward as planned and hope for the best. I will continue, as all of us will undoubtedly do, washing my hands frequently and using hand sanitizer liberally.

I really feel sorry for the collateral damage to small businesses and vendors at planned events that have been cancelled. Where will the madness end?

wdk450

Something EVERYONE can do to help with this epidemic is to TAKE AND RECORD YOUR TEMPERATURE DAILY. If you temperature is normal, you probably do not have to worry about having the virus, if your temperature is elevated you should self-quarrantine and call your medical provider.

Imagine if everyone, everywhere did this.

DebiMac

This hits us hard. We are at a rally. Do we leave and shelter in place, or just stay inside?

We have a large rally scheduled for about three weeks away. Should it be cancelled?

I agree with the above statements, that precautions should be taken. I believe and hope that the media hype is overblown and that this will blow over with little effect. Other than shortages that will soon be cleared up.

Right now, my plan it to go forward as planned and hope for the best. I will continue, as all of us will undoubtedly do, washing my hands frequently and using hand sanitizer liberally.

I really feel sorry for the collateral damage to small businesses and vendors at planned events that have been cancelled. Where will the madness end?

I agree, Jay! Very much looking forward to the rally. Thanks!

NYSUPstater

I as well agree w/ RickL. Local/major food chain had lines up the wazzoo, out of bread, toilet paper, pasta, packaged meats, produce (but it was 730am so store just getting things back in shape IMO from day before), no milk or butter. Now store says they are closing for 6 hours overnight to clean/restock----and I can just imagine it will be like Black Friday come 6am. DW & DS went shopping this morning and went to Home Depot and struck up a convo w/ an associate who said another associate broke down in tears (either this morn or yesterday) cuz an elderly lady was trying to reach a 3pk of disinfecting wipes but couldn't. Some young taller guy came right up behind her and grabbed them/tossed into his cart and went on his merry way. The clerk who cried said to the guy as he walked past (clerk couldn't get to the lady), "Hope your mother is proud of you", he just turned, smirked and kept on going.

MANY I've talked to have all said the same thing as what's been said here already. By vigilant, wash/sanitize your hands, stay away from folks who may have a compromised immune system etc unless you have to be near them, but just go about your normal activities. With the latter being said, food service companies may take just as big a hit as restaurants (exception being here grocery store companies). Tho we ourselves don't have any camping plans till Mom Day w/e, as of now not cancelling anything.

danemayer

This would be a good time to evaluate your need for a medical assistance service that would get your RV home in the event you are unable to do so.

We used to have the Good Sam Travel Assist Plan which provides some concierge type assistance, pays for flights home (in some cases), and pays for return of your RV in you can't drive. This is different from their Roadside Assistance Plan.

When FMCA opened membership to towables, we joined FMCA. As part of membership, the provide an equivalent assistance plan that will get your RV home. FMCA also offers a Roadside Assistance Plan competitive with Good Sam.

SkyMed has come to some of our rallies to talk about their offering, which I've heard is even more comprehensive.

Abear79

The main thing that is being told to us in the fire department is wash your hands a lot. At least 20 seconds of scrubbing your hands before rinsing. Avoid a lot of contact. That is hard for us southerners. We hug and kiss everybody. But, for now stop doing it. My wife is a school teacher. They are off until mid April. I get it. It is not to cause alarm but, to limit possible exposure. They are also telling us on medical calls to stay 6 ft away from patients with elevated temps until we don our gloves and mask. But on regular call no mask needed. For the seniors I would say just limit touching others (shanking hands and hugs) and wash your hands after touching something in a public space. I do feel like the media is over doing it, but the public needs the awareness. Just use common sense (no bobbing for apples and sharing cups, and carry Clorox wipes to clean a public toilet if you have to use it.) and I think we will be find.

rjr6150

Not saying HL should but appears others are canceling or postponing. I agree with the other weight your risk factors and use common sense.

With escalating concern regarding the COVID-19 virus, and the Tucson mayor’s recommendation on March 12, 2020, that large gatherings be postponed, on Friday, March 13, 2020, at 4:30 p.m. Eastern,
FMCA's Board of Directors voted to cancel
FMCA's 101st International Convention and RV Expo set to take place March 26 through 29 in Tucson, Arizona. We understand that you will have questions, but ask that you please remain patient as we make arrangements for this unprecedented situation. Additional communications will follow next week.

danemayer

Full timers, I'd like to bring up something that may not have been thought about up to now.

Because RVs provide their occupants with a great degree of social isolation, everyone may be thinking they're relatively secure with respect to Covid-19. The weak link in this assumption is the staff at the RV Park. They are still exposed to community transmission outside the park.

If there is a single confirmed Covid-19 case among staff at an RV Park, it's very possible all staff members would have been exposed and may have to be sent home and put into isolation for 2 weeks. Faced with no staff, management may have to stop providing all services, and worst case, close down the park temporarily, requiring you to leave on short notice.

I'd suggest you have a backup plan in your pocket. If the park you're in were to be closed, perhaps you could stay with family. Or perhaps you could check into an alternate park.

Now would be a good time to think about your plan.

jbeletti

Dan - related to your point, I read on the website of another one of our spring rallies and found they are doing their best to limit exposure by:
1. Taking no new reservations
2. Limiting office staff to 1 person at any given time
3. Limiting guests in the office to 1 person at a time

Not perfect but not closed either.

Here in Texas, when we need to go to the grocery store, Walmart, Walgreens etc, only one of us goes inside. Again - not perfect bit trying our best when we do go out.

BarbandFrank

We are full-time and just left our winter RV park in southern Arizona two days ago. Our next stop was a state park where we checked in while we stayed in our car. We were handed a campground map by an employee wearing gloves - the campground fees had been paid online at the time of the reservation. Our next RV Park has emailed us directions for check in - there will be no human contact. So far, all of our upcoming RV parks are open and have communicated their plans for dealing with new arrivals. We did make back up plans for one of our stops - hopefully we won’t need them.

Admittedly, it has been stressful - trying to decide if we should stay at our winter park and ride it out - or - move on as planned. We decided to move on with our original plans (we have reservations) and will continue heading north toward our family. Fortunately, we have a place to ride out the storm over the long term - no matter how long that is.

Right now our biggest challenges have been finding DEF for our truck, and like everybody else, finding cleaning supplies, toilet paper and food items.

jbeletti

Barb and Frank - if need be, drive through the truck fuel lanes at Pilot, Flying J, Loves etc and add DEF at the pump for cheap.

danemayer

News reports from Pennsylvania Thursday afternoon

Gov. Tom Wolf orders all non-life-sustaining businesses in Pennsylvania to close physical locations to slow coronavirus spread
The accompanying industry and business list allows RV Parks to remain open, with a note limiting to "Residential" purposes. I'd guess that means no rallies.