Canada travel

New to full time RV-ing. Wondering the difficulty of traveling to Canada for a couple months out of the year to fish and relax... Issues to look for? Obstacles / ease of access and last but not least location ideas?

rhodies1

Not usually an issue to cross border into Canada, you should have details on your trip and locations/ reservations readily available..Comng into Canada for that long of time period sometimes makes the border people suspicious that maybe you are coming to Canada to work.

You will need a clean criminal record...a passport...you are NOT allowed to bring weapons across border unless you have applied for a special permit, then you still could be denied.Do not try to sneak any across, border-if caught you will be fined and turned around at border.
Reservations at campgrounds are always recommended.
You will be required to buy an out of province fishing license for each Province you visit and wish to fish.
There are great fishing areas in British Columbia,Quebec,Newfoundland,New Brunswick,Nova Scotia and Ontario..each Province have different guidelines to the number of fish allowed to be caught each day and bait usage, familiarize yourself with the guidelines.
You can contact each Provinces Tourism Dept. and they will forward you info packages about things to do and see ....all at no charge.

Hopefully others RVers from Canada will chime in and give you additional info and ideas .

Piperflyer

You aren't allowed to bring in any quantities of alcohol, meat. No firewood, plants, ammunition or gun parts. I made a cheat sheet with the distance and mph converted to metric for a quick reference that I left on my truck console. The best part is our money is stronger, so you can purchase more for your buck in Canada. If traveling to the northern parts of BC I would make sure I have a lot of bug spray. The Mosquito's will carry you away!

2PawsRiver

Have traveled to Canada several times without issues...….no weapons, health certificates for the dogs, enhanced driver's license. Had a great time. The loop around Lake Superior is incredible.

rhodies1

Yes you can bring alcohol and meat into Canada..the alcohol is restricted to 40 oz of hard liquor...or a flat of beer or a couple of bottles of wine. Not all 3. One or the other. Any meat/ chicken restriction is based on issues like mad cow etc.. Canada follows the rest of the counties.

Make sure as noted to have bug sprays stated. Some areas are extremely bad in earlier summer months.
if you have animals make sure you have their papers and vaccinations are up to date..Make sure you treat them for TICKS..Their are various types in Canada but the black legged/ deer tick carries Lyme disease...
Speed limits are posted in Kilometers per hr...118 kph or 70 mph is the max..any faster than that and your stopped will most likely get you a ticket

Yes and NO firewood,,both US crossing and Canada crossing adhere to that policy and you will be turned back to dispose of the wood.

Your American dollar Is worth about 40 cents on the dollar currently...
Depending on your timeframe for travelling pay attention to the status of Covid 19. No one knows what the world will look like in the next few months.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
One dollar US is currently worth $1.38 Canadian based on the latest exchange info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ILH

In case you missed it, Canada has just closed its borders to ALL non-citizens.

At the present time (things may change), it excludes Americans. In other words, US Citizens are ok to travel into Canada. However, who knows when things will change... travel at your own peril!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
At the present time (things may change), it excludes Americans. In other words, US Citizens are ok to travel into Canada. However, who knows when things will change... travel at your own peril!

Yeah, the story updated to exclude Americans (for now) after I posted.

ILH

Yeah, the story updated to exclude Americans (for now) after I posted.

I can't find reference to it in the news, but I thought I heard the news conference say that you may be turned away if it is "non essential travel". The emphasis being that people can return home and commercial shipments can cross unimpeded.

CDN

B and B
OTTAWA -- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is urging Canadians abroad to come home while they still can, as Canada is shutting the border to non-Canadian citizens, with limited exceptions, to limit the spread of COVID-19.
Permanent Canadian residents, the immediate family members of Canadian citizens, diplomats, air crews, and U.S. citizens are still being allowed into Canada at this time.
"If you're abroad, it's time for you to come home. If you've just arrived, you must self-isolate for 14 days, and finally all Canadians as much as possible, should stay home," Trudeau said.