Rocker Switch Repair

rxbristol

The electrical side of the water heater would not work and after some troubleshooting I isolated it to the rocker switch in the main control panel. After hunting for a replacement, I decided to take Bill Knight's (WDK450) advice (from an older post) and clean the external and internal contacts with DeoxIt and coat the contacts with NO-OX-ID. The switch works like a champ. What surprised me was how little corrosion (oxidation) it took to start causing problems...see the attached before and after pictures.

20200328_122051.jpg

20200328_123158.jpg

Last edited:

wdk450

Thanks for the nice mention. This electrical contact corrosion issue is something to think about with electrical contacts you REALLY rely on, like your shorepower going through the transfer switch relay contactor(generator prep), and the EMS power protection relay contactor; along with power cord reel and shorepower plugs/sockets.

I think DeOxIt contact restorer/cleaner and Tri-Flow lubricant are RVer essentials. I just fixed my Dodge truck driver's door electric door lock with a liberal spray of Tri-Flow. I didn't even have to remove the lock assembly from the door. I just sprayed it liberally from the inside spaces with the door card removed. I HAD been having to pull up the door lock knob with vice grips when it got stuck.