Charging camper batteries while driving down the road

wdk450

Chris,

Yes, they are the original two group 27 batteries and 4 or 5 years old.

Im going to test them as soon as this cold snap goes away.

I still need to find where the big red wire goes, but again, too cold.

Thanks.....

Chris:
You need to do a continuity check from the red wire in the umbilical to all the large red wires in the battery area to maybe find the charging wire termination. I suggest you disconnect both battery connections before doing this. Also check that the negative (ground) wire from the umbilical cable has continuity to the battery negative connection.

You might also need to use a tone tracker to find the wire: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sperry-Lan-WireTracker-Tone-and-Probe-Wire-Tracer-ET64220/202520187

SNOKING

Chris:
You need to do a continuity check from the red wire in the umbilical to all the large red wires in the battery area to maybe find the charging wire termination. I suggest you disconnect both battery connections before doing this. Also check that the negative (ground) wire from the umbilical cable has continuity to the battery negative connection.

You might also need to use a tone tracker to find the wire: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sperry-Lan-WireTracker-Tone-and-Probe-Wire-Tracer-ET64220/202520187

OP is Tom!

oldelmer1

The weather has finally broke here in Maryland, so I went out to check some things.

First off, I always plug the 7 pin connector into the plug in the bed, not on the bumper.

So, I idled up the truck to 1500PRMs, checked everything with the 7 pin in the bed of the truck and I had 13.3V at the junction box for the 7 pin connector, and had 13.1V at the Levelup.

I then pulled out the 7 pin connector and moved it to the bumper, and I had 13.7V at the Levelup.

So, Im guessing my in bed plug must be bad or corroded or something. Will have to pull it apart and see whats going on with it.

oldelmer1

I just pulled the 7 pin connector that's in the bed of the truck apart and there was a little corrosion.

Should I put anything on the pins before I put it back together? dielectric grease or something?

It amazes me how small these pins are.

wdk450

I just pulled the 7 pin connector that's in the bed of the truck apart and there was a little corrosion.

Should I put anything on the pins before I put it back together? dielectric grease or something?

It amazes me how small these pins are.

I recommend Caig DeOxIt (Red can) contact cleaner/restorer. Available on Amazon or E-Bay.

Great for ALL electrical connections, relays, switches. For connectors (including your power cord connections including the park shorepower outlet),
spray lightly, work the connection 5-10 times, spray lightly again and plug together.

Last edited: