Black Tank Knife Valve

SGSmith

I have a 2020 32RS and knife value to drain the Black Tank is installed between the drain outlet and the knife valve for Gray Tank 1
That requires me to open and empty the black tank before I can open and empty gray 1 tank
Each tank should be able to open and empty individually

Has anyone else ran into this problem?

danemayer

Hi SGSmith,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

If I understand, you cannot dump the gray #1 tank without draining the black tank.

It's normal for the gray tank(s) to fill more quickly than the black tank, so having an independent drain capability is normal.

It's possible that your rig was plumbed incorrectly (not per engineering drawings), which would be a manufacturing defect covered under warranty. But it's also possible an engineer decided to have it drain that way, which would be dumb, but not a defect.

I'd suggest you call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. Ask them to authorize your dealer or service center of choice to re-plumb the tank drain pipes under warranty. If they don't want to cover it under warranty as a defect, ask them to grant a goodwill accommodation to fix a dumb design.

mlpeloquin

I have a 2020 32RS and knife value to drain the Black Tank is installed between the drain outlet and the knife valve for Gray Tank 1
That requires me to open and empty the black tank before I can open and empty gray 1 tank
Each tank should be able to open and empty individually

Has anyone else ran into this problem?

Procedure is to empty and rinse the black tank first and then the gray. It helps flush the sewer hose from anything left in it from the black tank.

SGSmith

I have contacted Heartland Customer Service
They provide me the drawing that shows each tanks valve individually draining
I marked up the drawing showing the value arrangement for my unit
They responded saying the engineer said the drawing was only general arrangement

And the installed arrangement was acceptable for Heartland

Either way I'm going to have to correct it my gray tank 1 fills in about 3 days and my black tank is maybe a 1/3 full

LBR

This issue was also brought up a few short months ago...a search should locate it. If memory serves correctly, the OP replumbed his to satisfy his dumping needs.

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
My Black tank is leaking as I believe the valve is not closing all the way. I recall seeing some posts about this last year but have not been able to locate them. Somebody suggested a valve from amazon but I do not recall it. I do recall that someone said you have to also replace the cable. Am I recalling this correctly?

I just finished replacing my Kantleak valves witht eh Brass one from Anderson now I would like to tackel the Black and gray t tanks since we cannot camp for a few months do to covid 19.
Thanks gys
Don

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
I am going to replace the 2 gray tank valves on out 3760 Big Horn. Does anyone have an idea where they are ( besides under the coach ). Where in relation to the drain drain.

jbeletti

Don - One gray is "likely" under the drop frame. The other is "likely" under the utility area just behind the drop frame.

Ldo

Good morning. The valves are fairly unreliable and can provide nasty surprises. I purchased a Valeterra valve and put it right where the sewer cap is fastened. Perfect! Attach sewer hose first, open added valve and proceed as normal.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk