Beware-RV salvage operations

Flick

When the word salvage is used referring to rv’s, it normally refers to an older unit found in a rv graveyard or one that was abandoned. Salvage for this thread will refer to the removal of a unit from an area not easily accessible.

If I may, please allow me to refer to my boating days where salvage operations happened more frequently. For the boat I owned, there were two types of insurance companies you could insure with. One was thru, as an example, normal general auto or carrier companies, and the other was thru a boating specific insurance company like Boat US, that we used. Let’s assume that all companies were equal in paying claims but were different in one very important “aspect”. Using Boat US, again as my example, they offered in their coverage a yacht policy that covered salvage or removal if your boat sank in a navigable waterway. The other companies would pay you for your loss but it was your responsibility to get someone to remove it if you were told to do so.

Here’s my question. If you were in an accident with your rv and it tumbled down a cliff or off a bridge, would you be willing to remove it on your own and put forward the funds to do so if you were asked to remove it? The reason I ask this is that I have checked with several major rv insurance carriers and none will touch it if it’s more than 25’ from the road. One even even told me 10’ from the road.

There’s a good chance that none of you will lose any sleep over this but I think it’s important to at least know how insurance handles this. If your carrier says, “We cover that,” I would ask them to put it in writing and then pass it along to all of us who care. It could get expensive to lift a 10 ton rv out of a ravine if you were asked to do so.

danemayer

Eddie,

My insurance policy is silent on payments to tow or otherwise remove a damaged vehicle and have it towed away, whether auto or RV.

When 5th wheels or travel trailers roll over on a hillside, you can reasonably expect that you won't be hauling a 10 ton RV out of the ravine or gully. You'll be winching the frame out and picking up a bunch of pieces and appliances.

TXgearhead

I just talked to my State Farm agent about my boat insurance. My Sea Tow annual payment was due and I thought what the heck I'll call the agent and see what they cover for towing a stranded boat. Sea Tow has a rescue/tow boat for Galveston Bay and offshore but not for Sabine Bay where I frequently fish. Agent had to call an underwriter but called me back and said I was covered to be towed anywhere reasonable.
Now I'm wondering about the 5th wheel and salvage coverage for boat and RV.

Flick

I just talked to my State Farm agent about my boat insurance. My Sea Tow annual payment was due and I thought what the heck I'll call the agent and see what they cover for towing a stranded boat. Sea Tow has a rescue/tow boat for Galveston Bay and offshore but not for Sabine Bay where I frequently fish. Agent had to call an underwriter but called me back and said I was covered to be towed anywhere reasonable.
Now I'm wondering about the 5th wheel and salvage coverage for boat and RV.

Towing is covered. Most boats over 25’ don’t have to have flotation built into them according to federal regulations. They will sink to the bottom unless your beer coolers will keep them afloat. Removal of larger vessels from the floor of Galveston Bay is not covered under standard insurance policies. I truly do apologize for talking about boats in an rv forum but it all ties in. Thanks.