Ford engine lite on code: P20EE

NYSUPstater

Have had an ongoing issue w/ this code for past 9 months/6,000 miles. This past Sat will make it #5. Ford's idea of fixing it is to clear/update the computer. IMO there is a bad NOx sensor and they don't want to go after it (still under wty). Doing some digging, Ford has several bulletins all saying the same thing yet not fixing the problem. Ford even went onto say that using any aftermarket cleaning liquids or tools for the EGR cooler/intake can cause this. 99.9% of the products I've seen all are for the engine and nothing for the exhaust yet all go in the fuel system. Anyone else having problems w/ this? Heard that GM had a really bad batch of NOx sensors (5,000 or so) last year. FWIW, I've used the same products for past 3 diesels and never once had a problem w/ them (truck or product) incl this truck till last Sept when this all started. Funny how Ford says the use of products may cause things, yet all was ok for 1st 1.5 years and 16,000 miles. UGH !

I have had a similar issue on my 2014 F350 6.7 truck for the past two years. I keep getting a P207F code that the dealerships keep clearing, but never solve the root cause to the problem. The sequence of events is once I get the low DEF warning at 500 miles I fill with DEF at a Truck Stop. The code clears out and everything seems fine until I travel another 500 miles and the Engine Exhaust Fluid System Fault in 50 miles will put me in limp home mode, 50 MPH. I end up trying to find a dealership and they clear the code and tell me its fixed. Then six months later it happens again. It happen last week when 400 miles from home and I have to find a diesel mechanic who ended up installing "hacked" code just to clear the message so I could get home (no Ford dealer was close enough or available to work on it).

The truck is now with a new diesel mechanic at home, but based upon everything I have read there is not one solution to this problem. You fix one thing and then there is another issue downstream. It sounds like a never ending problem. Its too bad as we love the truck, but not the hassle of wasting a day or two at a dealer clearing codes every six months not to mention the $400 each time. Getting close to looking for another tow vehicle.

lynndiwagoner

Oh, there's a way to fix it all right but the tree huggers will bug you about it. I fixed mine once and for all and wouldn't take back a thing. Mine is a Chevy but you can "fix" the Ford.

NYSUPstater

To give ya all an update. So I go to a garage I used when I had my 6.Uh-Oh as they were really good when it came to the 6.0's. They ran a test, re-gened it, cleared code and sent me on my way. Don't recall dealer doing any kind of a re-gen. Bit later, Bingo-Boingo---light comes back on (garage said it may and if it does to let them know). Call 'em and says to bring it back down and he does another round of tests which included testing all exhaust sensors, deactivating injectors and everything checks out as to what he's looking/testing for. Go about 2 weeks and CEL comes on yet again. With what he tested, he feels there is a problem w/ the DPF to which I'm still under warranty for and to call a dealer in another county he knows well and they know him. So at this point, the CEL is still on and app't is a 1.5 weeks away. Stay tuned.

NYSUPstater

WOW, am I bad about updating things!!!

So I did go to another dealer (on advice from independent shop as 2nd dealer has a very good diesel tech he says) and they dug deeper into things and found a few odd ball codes along w/ main one. Sadly tho, all they did was clear things as well BUUUUUUUUUUT at least they went into further than 1st dealer. I left feeling quite satisfied w/ things. This was done in late Oct '20.

Few weeks ago, CEL comes back on. Call/go back to dealer which is 45 min away and WTH and LO-N-BEHOLD a NOX sensor is bad!!!! Only been saying this since about day 1!!!!!!!! Guess there are 2 Nox sensors, 1 in front and 1 in back. This one is the front one. So going back next Wed to have it installed as we are slated to head out for vaykay to go sledding 400 miles away.

1st dealer at one point asked if I was using any kind of additive in fuel cuz according to Ford, this could cause problems! I was like (and told service adviser) "That's BS!". Went onto say' "There is a Nox sensor that's bad, but Ford doesn't want to take care of it and all they want to do is place blame on something else to get out of it!". "Clearing and updating the computer ISN'T the solution, as there is a problem further down the line and again Ford doesn't ant to go that far!". After I left, I called the mfr of the treatment stuff and they said the same thing that it's BS. I've been using the same stuff since truck was new and for 2+ years and now all of a sudden additives could be cause of it????????.

The problem started in late '19 and about 16K and truck now has 29K. Base wty expires in April, but think this will still be covered under powertrain wty. Not sure to be exact on that. If not, may consider deleting things if possible.

Sorry for the loooooooooong overdue update.

TomSt

Past New Jersey Chapter Leader
Have you thought about buying a scan tool from harbor freight? when I had issues while traveling I was able to pull over clear the code and go on my way. No way of predicting if that code can be cleared by their scanners. But for under $100 might be worth a try.

brianlajoie

I had a def sensor go bad on me several years ago. The dealer at that time said that the emission system has a 10 warranty. I think this is covered by gov't requirements rather than a manufacturer warranty even though the time from is similar.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Get a Blue Driver OBDII reader. Sends the codes to your phone (Bluetooth) with a pretty good description of it. And you can clear them, if you wish. App also allows you to monitor engine performance real time, if you wish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flick

Get a Blue Driver OBDII reader. Sends the codes to your phone (Bluetooth) with a pretty good description of it. And you can clear them, if you wish. App also allows you to monitor engine performance real time, if you wish.

My daughter had a def code engine light come on yesterday on her 2013 F250. Today she had Ford fix it and now she is $1200 lighter in the shorts. Lol.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
A few weeks ago, while the wife was a couple of blocks from home, her 2018 Acadia lost power and just about every warning light, bell and whistle came on. Steering got hard and brakes were iffy. She managed to limp it back to our house and park in the garage. When I went out to it, there was no problem after I started it. Hmmm? So I plugged in my reader and got about 15 codes. OnStar emailed her noting two major ones (steering and brakes). So next day I drove it to the dealer with no problems. I also gave them a print out of the codes. They read the same codes but could not duplicate the problems. I sent a package of info to GMC Customer Service and they called and gave me a case number in the event it occurs again after the warranty expires. No problems since and no idea why it happened.