Taking Delivery next week New Cyclone, Recommendations, What to look out for, etc (Previous Jayco owner)

Burnsze15

Hi gang. I’m trading in my Jayco next week for a Cyclone. There are so many aspects of this unit that are superior to that of my Jayco, such as Hyd landing gear in lieu of electric, Hyd rack and pinion large slide in lieu of a Schwintek on a big heavy slide, etc.

I’m just looking for your feedback in terms of common issues and any ‘I wish I knew that when I bought my Heartland’ best practices and lessons learned.

Thanks for the feedback. Also any good reports and feedback on extended warranty/service plans you’ve used is also appreciated.

Be safe and it’s good to be here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmarnell

Congratulations on the new Cyclone. Not sure which model you are getting, but we love our 4005. Have had it for 2 1/2 years and very few issues. The only major issue we had on delivery was the dealer put the wrong patio stair in the unit, so we had to go back and get it swapped for the correct one. I would also strongly recommend the rear observation camera if you haven't already arranged to have it installed as it gives a great rear view. I upgraded our rear camera to the Furrion Vision S 3 camera system that gives rear, plus left and right side views which comes in handy sometimes. Have fun with the new rig!

Jv75353

Congrats on your new Cyclone. We’ve had our Cyclone 4000 since 2015 and had only a couple on minor issues after we first took delivery. We had slide toppers put on before we took delivery and have been very pleased with them. After our first long trip we upgraded the pin box to improve the ride and smooth out the road. We are very happy with both upgrades. Best of luck with your new rig, look forward to seeing some pictures of it.

Fordguru

Congrats
i have a 2020 4005
love the unit
i have had a few minor issues

pass slide rubbing floor
interior trim coming off
i was chasing a gray water leak forever but found they drilled through the tank
subway fake tile coming off
happi jac bed motor failure
jack line leak

But ryan at heartland has sent me parts to fix

i came from an attitude and there are much nicer features on cyclones

Burnsze15

Congrats
i have a 2020 4005
love the unit
i have had a few minor issues

pass slide rubbing floor
interior trim coming off
i was chasing a gray water leak forever but found they drilled through the tank
subway fake tile coming off
happi jac bed motor failure
jack line leak

But ryan at heartland has sent me parts to fix

i came from an attitude and there are much nicer features on cyclones

Thanks so far guys. These all seem minor enough. Coming from the Jayco Seismic to the 4270 I’m hoping alot of the systemic major issues won’t be an issue.

Some things common to both Ill be looking out for and taking precautions to mitigate any issues:

1. Leaking rear/patio doors that warp and get water intrusion. I will make sure there is sealant around the flooring where it meets the metal frame on the perimiter. Same on the outside part of the door. I used to close the door if there was storms and rain on its way which honestly is a big pain in the summer when the storms come and go all day. Esp with the side patio down Id like to leave it out and not have to worry about the water getting in it. Same doors on all brands so its probably common to both hopefully Heartland has taken additional precautions.
2. Lippert Suspension spring hangers are breaking off at the top of the “U”. This seekingly is caused by side loads on the hangers from pivoting and tight parking/turning. Alot of owners have had them fail while on highways, etc and had tk get a mobile welder to get them off the side of the road. This could he catastrophic of course if the conditions are bad. Ive decided to add the Morryde X Factor crossmembers that bolt on and strengthen the hangers and suspension laterally side to side. they bolt to the opposite side hanger and is a 2x2 metal brace.
3. Ive never had this issue, but several owners were experiencing sidewall cracking under the bedroom slides above where the upper deck overhang begins. Most coaches had to go back to Indiana for the repair. I believe some manufacturers put a designed stress gap there or better design the metal studs and structure. Not sure what HL does.
4. Of course as Ive mentioned electric 6 pt leveling on 20000lb rigs doesnt work and huge schwintek slides with reefers and ovens and massive couches doesnt work either. Tbose are both no win situations and Im very happy to have hydraulic systems powering all of these me hanics. Even the cable bedroom slide is a breath of fresh air for me. My last Jayconhad these and was ok but one before that my 2013 had nothing but stuck slides and no relief despite being in service for months.

After owning the Jayco I realized that they have a 2yr warranty because they need it. Ironically in 2015 they hired the okd cyclone project manager from Heartland for new floor plans but they kept using the old inferior mechanics and structures.

Any recommendations on a extended service plan after the 1 yr is up?

Pics coming next week. I did get the awning toppers, vent covers, and added the 3 season patio door as it wasnt speced with it.

Anyone know if that 2020 residential reefer has an ice maker in it? I forgot to ask. Theres nothing on the door.

Oregon_Camper

You should plan to complete your own Pre-Delivery Inspection. You can use the link below to download mine, or you can search the internet for another one.

This document will take you about 4 hours to complete (don't rush it) and will ensure you understand all the operations of the RV as well as having you inspect the RV. This will help you find all sorts of "gotcha" stuff that might not pop up until later down the road (ie...when your 100's of miles from an RV shop). No matter what the dealer says, their PDI will never cover everything.

Complete this PDI and get dealer to fix all issue before paying for trailer...that way the dealer is very motivated to finish.

https://www.rvwiththetanners.com/pre-delivery-inspection

david-steph2018

Thanks so far guys. These all seem minor enough. Coming from the Jayco Seismic to the 4270 I’m hoping alot of the systemic major issues won’t be an issue.

Some things common to both Ill be looking out for and taking precautions to mitigate any issues:

1. Leaking rear/patio doors that warp and get water intrusion. I will make sure there is sealant around the flooring where it meets the metal frame on the perimiter. Same on the outside part of the door. I used to close the door if there was storms and rain on its way which honestly is a big pain in the summer when the storms come and go all day. Esp with the side patio down Id like to leave it out and not have to worry about the water getting in it. Same doors on all brands so its probably common to both hopefully Heartland has taken additional precautions.
2. Lippert Suspension spring hangers are breaking off at the top of the “U”. This seekingly is caused by side loads on the hangers from pivoting and tight parking/turning. Alot of owners have had them fail while on highways, etc and had tk get a mobile welder to get them off the side of the road. This could he catastrophic of course if the conditions are bad. Ive decided to add the Morryde X Factor crossmembers that bolt on and strengthen the hangers and suspension laterally side to side. they bolt to the opposite side hanger and is a 2x2 metal brace.
3. Ive never had this issue, but several owners were experiencing sidewall cracking under the bedroom slides above where the upper deck overhang begins. Most coaches had to go back to Indiana for the repair. I believe some manufacturers put a designed stress gap there or better design the metal studs and structure. Not sure what HL does.
4. Of course as Ive mentioned electric 6 pt leveling on 20000lb rigs doesnt work and huge schwintek slides with reefers and ovens and massive couches doesnt work either. Tbose are both no win situations and Im very happy to have hydraulic systems powering all of these me hanics. Even the cable bedroom slide is a breath of fresh air for me. My last Jayconhad these and was ok but one before that my 2013 had nothing but stuck slides and no relief despite being in service for months.

After owning the Jayco I realized that they have a 2yr warranty because they need it. Ironically in 2015 they hired the okd cyclone project manager from Heartland for new floor plans but they kept using the old inferior mechanics and structures.

Any recommendations on a extended service plan after the 1 yr is up?

Pics coming next week. I did get the awning toppers, vent covers, and added the 3 season patio door as it wasnt speced with it.

Anyone know if that 2020 residential reefer has an ice maker in it? I forgot to ask. Theres nothing on the door.

1) All the patio doors and ramps are not the same. For instance the ramp and side patio door on our 2018 Road Warrior is made by Challenger not Lippert. Heartland switched to Challenger before our unit was built in Sept 2017, they may still be using Challenger made stuff. During the tour at the toy hauler plant we were told Heartland switched ramps manufacture.
We leave our side patio out 90 % of the time. Our awning stays out as well, we use the Zipblocker on the awning and tie it down with doggie tieouts. But today due to possibility of high winds, 70 mph or better, and threat of twisters everything is put up.
2) Here in October we are upgrading to the Moryde IS suspension system on the Road Warrior. We had disc brakes installed last year at the national rally in Goshen and Moryde told me the brakes will transfer over to the new suspension system saving us thousands of dollars. When we did the brakes we had the WetBolt kit installed and it was worth it for the cost.
3) Right now we are dealing with a sidewall crack. It goes from the left corner of the big slide up at a 45 deg angle. We are scheduled into Affinity in Goshen for repairs on June 22. With our rig being 2 1/2 years old it is out of warranty so we shall see what is up.
4) The Levelup system is great, love the 6pt system.

zolman

You made a good choice to go to a Cyclone. I had a Open Range which is made by Jayco. I made the switch to a Cyclone 3600 for the same reasons you did. It just heavier duty for what a toy hauler has to do. Jayco had good service and followed up with everything but I had to get it done at their plant in northern Indiana.

I had constant problems with the Jayco schwintek slides and loved the Cyclone auto hydraulic levelers. Plus the slideouts seals where not as tight on the OR as I wanted because of all the schwintek adjustements. I was afraid that eventually they would leak.

Burnsze15

You made a good choice to go to a Cyclone. I had a Open Range which is made by Jayco. I made the switch to a Cyclone 3600 for the same reasons you did. It just heavier duty for what a toy hauler has to do. Jayco had good service and followed up with everything but I had to get it done at their plant in northern Indiana.

I had constant problems with the Jayco schwintek slides and loved the Cyclone auto hydraulic levelers. Plus the slideouts seals where not as tight on the OR as I wanted because of all the schwintek adjustements. I was afraid that eventually they would leak.

Thanks for that. I believe I did as well. I see it this way, if all I gained was longetivty in the leveling system and on the slides, and sounds like better ramp and side doors, and a truly more stout design and build then it was well worth the money in the upgrade, as I really want to keep it, maintain it well, for a good number of years. They really tried to take an Eagle, lengthen it, use same build principles and design, add 10000lbs to it and hope for the best. This 2020 year is first year since 2013 they began making changes.

Any extended service plan recomendations? Ill have to get into those threads on here and read.

Matt750

1) All the patio doors and ramps are not the same. For instance the ramp and side patio door on our 2018 Road Warrior is made by Challenger not Lippert. Heartland switched to Challenger before our unit was built in Sept 2017, they may still be using Challenger made stuff. During the tour at the toy hauler plant we were told Heartland switched ramps manufacture.
We leave our side patio out 90 % of the time. Our awning stays out as well, we use the Zipblocker on the awning and tie it down with doggie tieouts. But today due to possibility of high winds, 70 mph or better, and threat of twisters everything is put up.
2) Here in October we are upgrading to the Moryde IS suspension system on the Road Warrior. We had disc brakes installed last year at the national rally in Goshen and Moryde told me the brakes will transfer over to the new suspension system saving us thousands of dollars. When we did the brakes we had the WetBolt kit installed and it was worth it for the cost.
3) Right now we are dealing with a sidewall crack. It goes from the left corner of the big slide up at a 45 deg angle. We are scheduled into Affinity in Goshen for repairs on June 22. With our rig being 2 1/2 years old it is out of warranty so we shall see what is up.
4) The Levelup system is great, love the 6pt system.

We have a Challenger made ramp door on our 2019 CY 4007. I emailed Challenger a while back asking about the ramp door. They said there is no wood to rot in the door (azdel vs luan). Mine does have sealant ran along the perimeter as well as the bolts and patio tie downs (from the factory). Once I found out about the construction of the door, I really don't even worry about it. Now if it does look like a down pour is coming
(has only happened once while we were camping)
, I will put it up anyway just to keep the back "sealed up" !

Burnsze15

We have a Challenger made ramp door on our 2019 CY 4007. I emailed Challenger a while back asking about the ramp door. They said there is no wood to rot in the door (azdel vs luan). Mine does have sealant ran along the perimeter as well as the bolts and patio tie downs (from the factory). Once I found out about the construction of the door, I really don't even worry about it. Now if it does look like a down pour is coming
(has only happened once while we were camping)
, I will put it up anyway just to keep the back "sealed up" !

Now see, THIS is why I’m buying a Cyclone. Should have done it 7 years ago. I’m going to call and just make sure they are still using challenger doors on side and back to be sure. Thanks for that info!!!!

LBR

Now see, THIS is why I’m buying a Cyclone. Should have done it 7 years ago. I’m going to call and just make sure they are still using challenger doors on side and back to be sure. Thanks for that info!!!!

Just me, but after them going from Lippert to Challenger doors, I don't think they would DARE go back to a door with wood inside. That would definitely be a backwards step and a huge shot.in.the.sales.foot....JMO.

Burnsze15

Just me, but after them going from Lippert to Challenger doors, I don't think they would DARE go back to a door with wood inside. That would definitely be a backwards step and a huge shot.in.the.sales.foot....JMO.

Youre right completely. Im coming from a manufacturer that does things like that. Its gonna take some getting used to, this common sense thing...

Burnsze15

8a30d62e66887e6fefea7b51ff7a6b51.jpg

50e0c0d85123b6b3e3ddf842944b2721.jpg

Took delivery yesterday. Great 4hr PDI and I’m really really impressed and happy with my decision. When you look at the front cabinet and systems in this and then you look inside the front cabinet of my 2016 Jayco Seismic, and even the underbelly quality of plumbing and wiring, a near wiring and plumbing install, its like night and day. You guys have a new Cyclone and Heartland fan! I should have done this 7 years and two Jayco coaches ago. If anyone os reading this and is pre-purchase and you are deciding between the Jayco Seismic or Talon and a Cyclone/RW please message me. Their interior fit and finish blows everyones skirt up, they do a nice job there but tje build, mechanics, and durability and ling lasting durability to be your 10- year coach is just night and day.

Im sure Ill run into issues downline, but the foubdation is stout and shes a good coach.

LBR

8a30d62e66887e6fefea7b51ff7a6b51.jpg

50e0c0d85123b6b3e3ddf842944b2721.jpg

Took delivery yesterday. Great 4hr PDI and I’m really really impressed and happy with my decision. When you look at the front cabinet and systems in this and then you look inside the front cabinet of my 2016 Jayco Seismic, and even the underbelly quality of plumbing and wiring, a near wiring and plumbing install, its like night and day. You guys have a new Cyclone and Heartland fan! I should have done this 7 years and two Jayco coaches ago. If anyone os reading this and is pre-purchase and you are deciding between the Jayco Seismic or Talon and a Cyclone/RW please message me. Their interior fit and finish blows everyones skirt up, they do a nice job there but tje build, mechanics, and durability and ling lasting durability to be your 10- year coach is just night and day.

Im sure Ill run into issues downline, but the foubdation is stout and shes a good coach.

Congrats.... you'll have a great time modifying whatever suits your fancy on your CY...it takes a while to get where you want to end up with it.

We have put a lot of time and $$$ into ours and finally got it 95% set on "Kill Mode" now.

Burnsze15

What model of Ram? We have a Bighorn 2017. It is the same color and does a great job towing.

2018. My previous empty weight was 15k. This one adds 2k for a 17 and change empty weight. Its a biggin. Both were empty for my trip to NY and back (5hrs). You can definately feel the difference. With 2000’ elevation climbs and descents in the Hills of central NY, she did very well. One very steep climb it gave me 55 with the heavier cyclone, trucks were in the right climb lane doing 30-40s. Otherwise I was never able to not climb at 55-65mph and the cooler only kicked in mayve a half dozen times. 4.10s Aisin 5th wheel Tow Package and HO Diesel. No mods.

Overall round trip fuel economy was 9.5MPG