Kitchen sink to black tank?

idcuda

Anyone ever heard of a kitchen sink draining into the black tank, instead of the grey? I have a new Lithium 2414 and everything, except the shower, drains to the 40-gallon black tank. It severely limits the capabilities of a hauler that carries 105-gallons of fresh water.

danemayer

If you have a single gray and a single black tank, each 40 gallons, that's not a lot to work with. The way it is, with galley and bathroom sink and toilet draining to the black tank, you'll fill the black tank pretty fast. But if the galley, bathroom sink and shower all drained into the gray, you'd fill that tank pretty quickly. Depending on how you use the water, a change might not be for the better.

Maybe call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. Ask them if the way yours drains matches the engineering drawings. If it doesn't, they'll probably authorize your dealer correcting it to match the drawings. But it may not help you very much, if at all.

You might take a look at the plumbing drain pipes. Bathroom shower and sink are usually pretty close together. I might not be hard to re-route the bathroom sink.

idcuda

My plumbing does match the drawing, much to the surprise of the dealer and Heartland customer service. I bought the trailer under the appropriate assumption (I think) - that the kitchen sink would drain into the gray tank. My waste usage is overwhelmingly from the kitchen sink and the toilet.

Flick

My plumbing does match the drawing, much to the surprise of the dealer and Heartland customer service. I bought the trailer under the appropriate assumption (I think) - that the kitchen sink would drain into the gray tank. My waste usage is overwhelmingly from the kitchen sink and the toilet.

Since your plumbing does match the engineer’s drawing, I think that you are stuck with what you have unless you decide to take this change to your plumbing on as a personal preference change and have it done yourself.
Our toy hauler has 2 black tanks and 2 grey tanks. The kitchen drains into the #2 grey and is never full. Our #1 grey covers the shower, washer and master bath sink and fills almost daily. My point is that, generally speaking, I can understand why Heartland would want to dump the kitchen into the black. If all grey went into one tank, you’d have a problem there. Normally, we could go days without dumping the #1 black and hardly ever have to dump #2 black until we get ready to leave the site.
In my opinion, here’s the problem. Everyone’s usage is a little different. Your’s and my usage probably wouldn’t match at all, but Heartland’s decision has to be based on what they think will benefit the majority of users.
For my preference with your unit, I think they got it right.