LCD TV Sets - Will they be damaged in freezing temperatures?

jbeletti

I've received email from a couple of forum members after they read the RV Clinic column in the January 2009 issue of Camping Life magazine (page 52).

I called ASA Electronics to get their input on their Jensen LCD TV sets used in some Heartland products. Then I went onto Samsung's website to get their input as well. I found nothing on Olevia's website.

My findings for LCD TV storage is as follows:

Jensen
For their 19", 26" and 32" LCD TV sets: -22* F to 158* F

Samsung
For all of their LCD TV sets: -4* F to 113* F

Note that I found "operating" temperature starting at 50* F. As such, it is "not" recommended that you turn your LCD TV sets on until the room temerature is at least up to 50* F. And in order to ensure the internal components of the set are within a safe range, I'd suggest waiting to turn the set on until the room air temperature has reached your "normal" range and has been there for a couple of hours.

Turning any type of electronics (TVs, PCs, cameras etc.) on when they are in an extremely cold state, causes internal condensation on some of the circuitry. This can cause premature failure in such devices.

That all said, there certainly are some electronics that have been treated for super low operating temperatures. Just be careful.

Jim

beardedone

Beardedone
Thanks for the post on this subject. I have heard of this concern and because we winter camp I wondered what temp was needed to safely turn them on . I will have to make sure to get to the trailer at least a couple of hours before the hockey game starts.

rjr6150

Thanks Jim I was just going to post the same question after reading the Tech info in trailer life for January. Knew you'd be ahead of the curve.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
I will be using a Toshiba 32" in the den and a Sharp 19" in the bedroom. The 19" will be wherever we are - home when it is in storage, so I didn't bother to check that one.

I was planning to permanently mount the Toshiba in the den and leave it there when in storage. I looked at the owner's manual and it only discussed operating range, so I e-mailed customer service at Toshiba and this is the answer I received, so I will be removing it during the cold months before it leaves for warmer climates after Christmas and when I return in April. If you have some other make than Toshiba or one of the sets mentioned in the earlier posts in this thread, you may want to check with your set's manufacturer to be safe.

Dear Charles:

Thanks for writing!

You will need to make sure that the temperature never goes below freezing or above 96F because this could cause extreme damage to the television. I would suggest that room temperature would be the best for storage.

For further assistance, please write back or call our Customer Solutions Department at 1-800-631-3811. They are available Mon-Fri, 8AM to 7PM Central time.

Amy

Toshiba Customer Service

jbeletti

Chuck,

Good thing you contacted Toshiba. Their storage range is pretty narrow compared to the other brands. If this is true, I'd think in CA, NV and the like, for RVs that are in storage, we see interior temps exceed 96*. Maybe not.

Hey Forrest - have you done a temp test in your BH in storage on 100*+ outdoor temps?

Jim

DntDctr

Remember folks the key is to keep the temp reasonable before operating the units. Get the unit to 50-90 and you shouldn't have any issues.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Proof!

There you have it...all the proof you need for selling the stick-n-brick! ;) Just move into the 5er fulltime and keep the temp at a comfy level! :D

Peteandsharon

My BH 3055 is in outdoor storage with an Adco cover on it. A few days ago it dipped down to 2 degrees with strong winds. I started thinking about my poor Olevia sitting in the rig and so I unzipped the cover enough to get in the door, climbed over the dinette with the slideouts all in and yanked that puppy out of there. It was one brutally cold job but I sleep better knowing it's done.

jpmorgan37

HT;

You have the answer. We don't have to worry about below 50 or above 90 since we keep it at a comfortable 70 to 73 degrees year round. Ain't full timing wonderful. Retirement is a good thing.

John