Dexter electric over hydraulic brakes issues

Monster

Hi,
I'm new to the forum. Anyone out there having issues with their Dexter actuator pump constantly recycling? I pull my 2019 Landmark 365 with a 2020 F-450. Seems to be problem with factory installed Brake Controller communicating with Dexter pump. Anyone else??
thanks

danemayer

Hi Monster,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Can you provide a little more detail on what the pump is doing; what you mean by recycling?

Monster

When connected to the F-450, the pump will cycle for approximately 2 seconds, every 2 seconds. So every 6 seconds, the pump cycles twice. Additionally, it surges when brakes are applied. Dexter has a Ford/Chevy adapter that was designed for those trucks in 2006, before factory in-dash brake controllers had a setting for "electric over hydraulic". According to the specs on the adapter, it's only necessary on Fords up to 2012, as 2013 to present Fords now have the option of setting the controller at either "electric" or "electric over hydraulic". That being said, I contacted Dexter and they told me that even though my truck is a 2020, they were confident that installing the adapter would cure the problems. Unfortunately, it did not. Wondering if anyone else had similar issues.....

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I would pull the breakaway switch and see if the pump maintains its pressure. You may have a defective pump or some other issue in your braking system.
If the pump runs continuous then you will probably need to revisit your truck controller.

Peace
Dave

I have had disc brakes on my last coach 2011 Big Country with HydraStar Pump and on my present coach, 2019 Bighorn with Titian Pump being pull by 2011 Ford F-350 with Factory Brake controller with the Electric/Hydraulic setting, and have never had a problem with cycling.
So my 2011 Ford has the Electric & Electric over Hydraulic setting on the factory controller.
This truck was ordered in Sept on 2010 & received in Oct of 2010, making it an early 2011 model year.
I did the install myself on the Big Country and had Performance Trailer Brake do install last year on Bighorn.
Who did your install?

Hockster

LBR

Hi,
I'm new to the forum. Anyone out there having issues with their Dexter actuator pump constantly recycling? I pull my 2019 Landmark 365 with a 2020 F-450. Seems to be problem with factory installed Brake Controller communicating with Dexter pump. Anyone else??
thanks
After reading this yesterday AM, I hooked up our 2017 F-450 to the CY for our 220 mile daily jaunt. Sure enough before leaving, the pump was quick cycling similar to yours. The cycle on was about 1/2 second....just enough to spin the pump motor, but not long enough to build much pressure. It's almost as tho it was "sampling" voltage from the controller to keep "X" amount of PSI to the 6 calipers. As we know, disc brakes usually like to have a few PSI of fluid against their caliper cups (thus the reasoning for different after-mart brake Residual Valves)

We're hooking up for another 200 miles this AM also, so I be more attentive to it as soon as I plug in the trailer cord to when we leave, and a rest area stop or 2.

Did you notice the cycling shortly after hooking up ONLY.... or throughout the day also? If just the first few minutes after hookup, maybe it stops once the brake system get a few PSI equalized thru the entire system?

LBR

When connected to the F-450, the pump will cycle for approximately 2 seconds, every 2 seconds. So every 6 seconds, the pump cycles twice. Additionally, it surges when brakes are applied. Dexter has a Ford/Chevy adapter that was designed for those trucks in 2006, before factory in-dash brake controllers had a setting for "electric over hydraulic". According to the specs on the adapter, it's only necessary on Fords up to 2012, as 2013 to present Fords now have the option of setting the controller at either "electric" or "electric over hydraulic". That being said, I contacted Dexter and they told me that even though my truck is a 2020, they were confident that installing the adapter would cure the problems. Unfortunately, it did not. Wondering if anyone else had similar issues.....

So here's my latest to this saga since my last post, and what I've found out.....2017 F-450, controller set to electric over hydraulic, tri-axle CY.

My pump actuates exactly at 4 second intervals for a split second. Has been acknowledged by my installer that the controller (when set to electric only) sends out a pulse down to the trailer magnets and awaits a "reply" back to confirm the trailer brakes are connected. If no "reply" back, controller sends another shot to the magnets....and on and on. For some reason, when set to E over H, my controller is still doing such.

I'll PM a member here with this thread url in hopes he can weigh in on the supposed electrical fix that doesn't seem to help.

wdk450

Years ago Dexter had a pretty good factory service reputation. They even had a service center with RV hookups, I think on Dexter Avenue in Elkhart (where Heartland headquarters is now).

Anyways, I would be calling Dexter about this specific truck model glitch.

Here is the webpage for Dexter Axle contacts: https://www.dexteraxle.com/contact-us/contact-form

Flick

Hi,
thanks

Just a thought for what it’s worth. I have been around a lot of hydraulics and will tell you that air in the system can cause problems. Make sure each wheel is properly bled. Just thought I’d throw it out.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I have heard of this and I have also seen it on a few rigs. It has always been with the Dexter pumps as far as I can remember. It just happens randomly on my friends RV with his older 2014 F350. I think the adaptor will do the trick to get rid of it.
I would call Dexter first and get their input.

LBR

Just got done installing this add-on module into the brake system, understand everything about the hows and whys, what is inside the box.... except no one knows why certain F-series trucks require it. The mystery of RV life I guess.

After installing this 2 wire module, I checked continuity of both it's wires to the existing wires they tap into. Meter verified they both got attached into the circuits with the 3-way wire taps, plugged in the umbilical cord and no more pump cycling every 4 seconds.

To the OP....you mentioned it made no difference in your case. I wonder if 1 of 2 wire taps didn't sever the insulation and make contact with the wire itself when you squeezed the metal blade down? This was why I checked for continuity as I never have liked, nor fully trusted, those taps.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Use posi-taps they are way better.
a4a854cb7c5fad543bfd16cfdefe17c0.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk