Need help understanding AC operation in 2016 Bighorn 3010re

I own a 2016 Bighorn 3010re and am having issues with the A/C.
I'm not sure what to expect, but this is what I am experiencing.

I am only getting airflow in some of the vents in the living room and bedroom area.
If I can only run one A/C (connected to 30amp service for example), which AC should I use, the bedroom or living room.
If I can only run one A/C, should I expect that it can keep the entire coach cool on a moderately warm day ( 85 - 90 degrees outside).
I noticed that the living room thermostat has multiple zones, but only one of them appears to work (I get errors on the others).
Should I expect that the single living room thermostat can control both the living room and bedroom A/C.

Sorry for the barrage of questions.
Hoping someone can shed some light on the above issues.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Gary

Fox

There is a reason why campers offer 1 - 2 - or even 3 AC units. Depending on your expectations sometimes that's what it takes.
Trial and error will lead you to the best combination of your system. If unhappy you can add an additional unit - or upgrade to another unit.

danemayer

I am only getting airflow in some of the vents in the living room and bedroom area.
If I can only run one A/C (connected to 30amp service for example), which AC should I use, the bedroom or living room.
If I can only run one A/C, should I expect that it can keep the entire coach cool on a moderately warm day ( 85 - 90 degrees outside).
I noticed that the living room thermostat has multiple zones, but only one of them appears to work (I get errors on the others).
Should I expect that the single living room thermostat can control both the living room and bedroom A/C.

You should investigate the airflow through the vents, perhaps with an inspection camera. You may not get a lot of air, but you should get some.

If only 1 A/C can run, in my experience the living room is the better choice as the bedroom A/C is often a smaller unit and has a longer duct run to the living area.

If running 1 A/C and temps get up to 90, you have to get the coach as cold as possible early in the day as you'll lose ground in the afternoon. If you have direct sun on the windows, staying cool will always be difficult.

While some of the air conditioners come with multi-zone thermostats, only zone 1 is hooked up. Each thermostat is wired up to 1 A/C unit and there are no interconnections.

If you have yet to use the furnace, you'll find that only one of the thermostats controls the furnace.

One more tip. If the FAN mode of the thermostat is set to HIGH or LOW, the A/C blower will run continuously; even when you switch to furnace/heat.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Another piece of advice, if the unit is a 2016, it probably has the “whisper quiet” system, which utilizes vents along one side of the rig for air intake, and the opposite side for air outflow. You should see a black foam filter in each vent on the intake side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lou_and_Bette

I just installed SoftStart capacitors on both of my AC's for the very reason you mention. Now, if I need to be hooked to 30A, both AC's will work

mwc

I would bet that a lot of your air is being blown into your ceiling cavity/ attic. Pull the inside cover off of your ACs and inspect the where the duct connects. It should be taped and allow no air to escape past the duct into the ceiling cavity. I will bet money its not installed correctly, they just slap them in and cont FINISH the job. Get some actual duct tape, silver shiny tape usually with a peel off backing and tape up everywhere air can escape the system. I had to do this to all three of my ACs on a 2018 Cyclone. Sloppy shortcut job by the factory. Now the vents will blow your hair out of place when you walk unded a vent.

SNOKING

I would bet that a lot of your air is being blown into your ceiling cavity/ attic. Pull the inside cover off of your ACs and inspect the where the duct connects. It should be taped and allow no air to escape past the duct into the ceiling cavity. I will bet money its not installed correctly, they just slap them in and cont FINISH the job. Get some actual duct tape, silver shiny tape usually with a peel off backing and tape up everywhere air can escape the system. I had to do this to all three of my ACs on a 2018 Cyclone. Sloppy shortcut job by the factory. Now the vents will blow your hair out of place when you walk unded a vent.

I found lots on leaks in the duct on our 2017 bought in May of 2016. Some have reported open ends at the end of the runs at both ends The picture include is a large open hole in the side of the duck on my LR AC unit. Pieces of pool noodle work well as blocks in the ends of the ducts if that factory left the ends open. In 85-90 temps one will not get the job done.

While you have the units open, be sure to put dielectric grease on the contacts of the thermostat control (phone) cable butt connector.

Attachments

• IMG_20160709_131138094.jpg
    IMG_20160709_131138094.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20160622_080721899_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160622_080721899_HDR.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 34