ADDING FRESH AND GRAY tanks to 2019 NT 24BHS

Hello everyone,
Im Sal a new member here, just found this amazing north trail forum. Ive owned my trailer for about a year now.

I wanted to add more capacity on my fresh water and gray water tanks. I looked under my trailer noticed the under belly covered, is this fairly easy to remove and reinstall? Also is there any room to add more tanks? If so, what have you have you guys done to complete this task?
Thank you
Sal

danemayer

Hi Sal,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

In reading posts on this forum for nearly 10 years, I don't think I can recall anyone ever adding holding tanks to the underbelly. But if you have space, I suppose it might be possible.

Some things to consider:

• If you plan to travel with a 2nd fresh tank filled, you'll change the weight and balance of the trailer significantly. Same if you fill an additional gray tank while camping and don't have a nearby dump station. The additional weight (8 lbs. per gallon) could cause problems with your springs and axles. The change in balance could make for problems with handling while towing.
  • The coroplast has usually been mounted with self-tapping screws that can be removed (better with an impact wrench than with a socket wrench). You might take a look front and rear to see if either end of the coroplast is trapped by a front or rear cap. It's harder to get it back in place. 2 people make it easier.
  • Any 'empty' space in the underbelly could have wiring, plumbing or ductwork that might have to be moved. It's also possible you could find cross braces that limit the space. You wouldn't know for sure about space until you take down the coroplast, or at least remove enough screws to peek in from the sides.
  • For a gray tank, you'd have to find a spot to bring out a gate valve pull handle, and you'd have to run 1-1/2" drain pipe and join it to the rest of the waste system outlet.
  • For the fresh tank, you'd have to figure out how to add a fill line and PEX to connect the tank so the pump can draw the water out.

It's more common to add fresh water capacity by carrying an inflatable bladder in the bed of your tow vehicle, assuming you have the payload capacity. You can also increase gray/black capacity with an external tank on wheels that can be taken to a nearby dump station.

carl.swoyer

I've been all over the country since 07 and really don't see the need for an increase in tank storage. When my water gets to 1/3 , I simply dump,flush and top off.
Unless your in a very remote drycamp scenario you can use a portable 50 gallon water bladder and a blue boy.
I have made a portable water pump that attaches to the bladder and it pumps the water from the bed of my truck into the camper through the Anderson valve.
I also have a macerator pump with about a hundred feet of designated water hose just for my black tank.
if I'm within a hundred feet of a dump I simply pump my black tank and gray water through the hose and into the adjacent dump station leaving me not to have to move. If I'm further than the hundred feet I use the blue boy and make two trips.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk